PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class (Base Class) The Ur-Priest

LordErebus12
2014-07-14, 04:46 AM
An experiment...

Ur-Priest

A small number of ur-priests have learned to tap into divine power and use it without praying to or worshiping a god.

Alignment: Any.
Hit dice: d8

Class Skills
The ur-priest has the following class skills: Bluff (CHA), Concentration (CON), Disguise (CHA), Craft (INT), Hide (DEX), Knowledge (arcana) (INT), Knowledge (religion) (INT), Knowledge (the planes) (INT), Move Silently (DEX), Profession (WIS) and Spellcraft (INT).

Skill points (at 1st level): 4 x (2 + Int)
Skill points (per level): 2 + Int

Preferred Stats: Ur-Priest cast spells based off of their wisdom for the purposes of bonus spells per day and saving throw DC's. Charisma is important to their class abilities. Depending on the build, a Ur-Priest might also appreciate a higher Strength, Dexterity or Constitution score, boosting their combat abilities slightly.

Hit Die: d8

Level
BAB
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Spells Per Day/Spells Known

0th
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st

+0

+0

+0

+2

Assume Faith

1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+3

Turn or Rebuke Undead
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd

+2

+1

+1

+3

2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th

+3

+1

+1

+4

Steal Spell-Like Ability (1/Day)
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th

+3

+1

+1

+4

3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th

+4

+2

+2

+5

Siphon Spell Power

3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th

+5

+2

+2

+5

4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-

8th

+6/+1

+2

+2

+6

Steal Spell-Like Ability (2/Day)
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-

9th

+6/+1

+3

+3

+6

4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-

10th

+7/+2

+3

+3

+7

Divine Spell Resistance

4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-

11th

+8/+3

+3

+3

+7

4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-

12th

+9/+4

+4

+4

+8

Steal Spell-Like Ability (3/Day)

4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-

13th

+9/+4

+4

+4

+8

4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-

14th

+10/+5

+4

+4

+9

Divine Counterspell
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-

15th

+11/+6/+1

+5

+5

+9

4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-

16th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+5

+10

Steal Spell-Like Ability (4/Day)
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-

17th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+5

+10

4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1

18th

+13/+8/+3

+6

+6

+11

Steal Supernatural Ability

4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1

19th

+14/+9/+4

+6

+6

+11

4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
3+1

20th

+15/+10/+5

+6

+6

+12

Theft of Immortality

4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1
4+1

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Ur-priests are proficient with all simple weapons, with both light and medium armor, and with shields (except tower shields).

Spells per Day:
An ur-priest gains the ability to cast a number of divine spells. To cast a spell, an ur-priest must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell's level, so an ur-priest with a Wisdom of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Ur-priest bonus spells are based on Wisdom, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + Wisdom modifier.

The ur-priest spell list is identical to the cleric spell list. An ur-priest has access to any spell on the list and prepares those spells as a cleric, except that he does not pray for spells, he just takes them. An ur-priest casts spells as a cleric does, except that unlike a cleric, he does not have the ability to spontaneously cast cure or inflict spells, nor does he have domain spells or associated domain granted powers. He does not have restrictions on spells with alignments.

Domains and Domain Spells:
An ur-priest chooses two domains: one primary domain to represent his own spiritual inclinations and abilities and one secondary domain from among those belonging to his assumed faith. Each time the ur-priest assumes a new faith, the primary domain remains locked in place, but the secondary domain changes to fit the assumed faith's choices. An Ur-priest can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his projected alignment matches that domain.

Each domain gives the ur-priest access to a domain spell at each spell level he can cast, from 1st on up, but not the granted power of the domains. With access to two domain spells at a given spell level, an ur-priest prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot. If a domain spell is not on the ur-priest spell list, an ur-priest can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.

Assume Faith (Ex):
The main class feature of the ur-priest to which most other class features are based off of.

Once per day, the ur-priest can choose to assume the powers and domains of a new deity/faith before preparing his spells. By choosing this new deity/faith, the Ur-priest projects a particularly powerful aura, corresponding to that deity's/faith's alignment (see the detect evil spell for details on auras). This also decides on whether an ur-priest turns or rebukes undead creatures (see below) and which aligned spells the ur-priest can prepare for casting.

For example, a ur-priest assuming the faith of a chaotic evil god cannot cast good or lawful-aligned spells, projects a strong chaotic evil aura, and can only rebuke (or command) undead creatures. Likewise, an ur-priest assuming the faith of a neutral good faith would not be able to cast evil spells, would project a strong good aura and could only turn (or rebuke) undead creatures.

Turn or Rebuke Undead (Su):
At 2nd level, any ur-priest, regardless of their actual alignment, has the power to affect undead creatures by channeling the stolen powers of his chosen deity or faith directly through his holy (or unholy) symbol. Depending on the source of the ur-priest's powers and what faith the ur-priest has assumed, the ur-priest either turns (or destroys) undead creatures (as if the ur-priest was good-aligned) or rebukes (or commands) undead creatures (as if the ur-priest was evil-aligned).

An ur-priest may attempt to turn or rebuke undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. An ur-priest with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion) gets a +2 bonus on turning/rebuking checks against undead.

Steal Spell-Like Ability (Su):
Ur-priests can use the same techniques that siphon off the gods' spell power to steal the spell-like abilities of another creature.

At 4th level, when a creature with spell-like abilities is within 30 feet of a ur-priest, the ur-priest can choose one of the spell-like abilities of the creature to steal for himself as a standard action. The ur-priest can use the spell-like ability as often as the creature can, or three times per day, whichever is less. The ur-priest uses the ability as the creature does with regard to caster level and save DCs. This ability only lasts 24 hours. The creature with the spell-like ability does not lose the ability when the ur-priest steals it. If an ur-priest tries to steal a spell-like ability that the creature doesn't have, or tries to steal an ability that is supernatural rather than spell-like, the attempt automatically fails. The 'Steal Spell-Like Ability' ability can be used once per day at 4th level, twice at 7th level, three times at 12th level and four times at 17th level.

For example, if an ur-priest is near a noble salamander, he can steal fireball and use it three times that day or steal dispel magic and use it once that day. If he is near a pit fiend, he could steal teleport without error (self plus 50 pounds of objects only) and use it three times per day, because the pit fiend can do it at will. He could even steal the pit fiend's wish ability, but because a pit fiend can only use wish once per year, the ur-priest would be similarly limited. He could not steal that power again from any creature for one year.

Siphon Spell Power (Ex):
Because they steal whatever power they can, ur-priests learn to manipulate their energy in ways that confound other casters.

At 6th level, an ur-priest can as a standard action, temporarily sacrifice two (or more) lower-level spell slots and use those slots to spontaneously prepare a higher-level spell. The higher-level spell must be of a level the ur-priest can cast. The levels of the lower-level slots are totaled, then reduced to three-quarters (round down) to determine the level of the extra higher-level spell slot.

For example, an ur-priest who sacrifices a 3rd-level spell and a 5th-level spell can use that spell slot to prepare an additional 6th-level spell (3 + 5 = 8, and 8 × 3/4 = 6).

Divine Spell Resistance (Su):
At 10th level, an ur-priest gains spell resistance equal to his ur-priest level plus his charisma modifier, but only against divine spells and the spell-like abilities of outsiders.

Divine Counterspell (Su):
At 14th level, as an immediate action, an ur-priest can expend a spell slot equal to or higher level to counter either a divine spell or spell-like ability of an outsider. The divine spell or spell-like ability must target the ur-priest and fail to bypass the ur-priest's spell resistance. The ur-priest can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier.

Steal Supernatural Ability (Ex):
At 18th level, when a creature with supernatural abilities is within 30 feet of a ur-priest, the ur-priest can choose one of the supernatural abilities of the creature to steal for himself as a standard action. The ur-priest can use the supernatural ability as often as the creature can, or three times per day, whichever is less. The ur-priest uses the ability as the creature does with regard to caster level and save DCs.

This ability lasts until the ur-priest chooses to assume another supernatural ability. The creature with the supernatural ability does not lose the ability when the ur-priest steals it. If an ur-priest tries to steal a supernatural ability that the creature doesn't have, or tries to steal an ability that is not supernatural, the attempt automatically fails. The 'Steal Supernatural Ability' ability can be used once per day at 18th level.

Theft of Immortality (Ex):
At 20th level, the ur-priest has stolen enough divine energy to gain a divine rank of 0. The ur-priest cannot grant spells, but is immortal and no longer ages. Furthermore, the ur-priest gains +4 bonus to one physical ability score, reflecting the divine power that flows within their bodies.

Multiclassing Restrictions:
The character must have no other ability to cast divine spells. If divine spellcasting abilities were previously possessed (as with an ex-cleric), those abilities are forever forsaken. If divine spellcasting is gained later, the ur-priest still cannot use those abilities.

Hipster Dixit
2014-07-14, 05:29 AM
A solid conversion, good job. It always bugged me how the original Ur-priest gains 9 level of spells in 10 class levels. Indeed, he is better as a base class, although he could also make a good cleric ACF.

My two cents:

Class skills should include Listen, Search and Spot. Maybe it is just me, but i think every class should include those skills as class skills.

Steal spell-like ability is a bit odd in my opinion since it allows you to steal spell-like abilities just by staying near a creature doing nothing. I think it should at least allow a saving throw for the creature to avoid her spell-like abilities being stolen. An appropriate Knowledge check could be also included to identify creatures with spell-like abilities (how can you steal something from someone if you do not know that someone has the thing you are looking for?).

Divine Spell Resistance could just be the Ur-priest level + his Charisma modifier to allow smoother scaling.

LordErebus12
2014-07-14, 07:42 AM
A solid conversion, good job. It always bugged me how the original Ur-priest gains 9 level of spells in 10 class levels. Indeed, he is better as a base class, although he could also make a good cleric ACF.

My two cents:

Class skills should include Listen, Search and Spot. Maybe it is just me, but i think every class should include those skills as class skills.

Steal spell-like ability is a bit odd in my opinion since it allows you to steal spell-like abilities just by staying near a creature doing nothing. I think it should at least allow a saving throw for the creature to avoid her spell-like abilities being stolen. An appropriate Knowledge check could be also included to identify creatures with spell-like abilities (how can you steal something from someone if you do not know that someone has the thing you are looking for?).

Divine Spell Resistance could just be the Ur-priest level + his Charisma modifier to allow smoother scaling.

Agreed on the last two points.

I disagree on the Listen, Search and Spot skills. Not everyone focuses their training in perception. Now I've been on your side before, but I don't think that should be done anymore.

LordErebus12
2014-07-14, 09:11 AM
Divine Counterspell, Steal Supernatural Ability, Theft of Immortality are new. I've tweaked several of the abilities.

opinions? Tier rank? anything?

Hipster Dixit
2014-07-14, 01:52 PM
I disagree on the Listen, Search and Spot skills. Not everyone focuses their training in perception.

I understand. You have a good point here, so no problem.

The new stuff is nice, I don't think there is much left to improve. The capstone is fitting and the abilities are overall very flavorful.

Due to 9th level casting and strong class features there's no way it could fall below Tier 1. Not that's a bad thing :D

EDIT: What action is required for stealing spell-like and supernatural abilities? As written, it takes a non-action. Personally, I'd make it standard action, or at least swift action.

LordErebus12
2014-07-14, 07:08 PM
I understand. You have a good point here, so no problem.

The new stuff is nice, I don't think there is much left to improve. The capstone is fitting and the abilities are overall very flavorful.

Due to 9th level casting and strong class features there's no way it could fall below Tier 1. Not that's a bad thing :D

EDIT: What action is required for stealing spell-like and supernatural abilities? As written, it takes a non-action. Personally, I'd make it standard action, or at least swift action.

Thanks.

It would have to be Tier 1, since it has more going on compared to the cleric, its closest counterpart. The class has a lot more customization and can change some things on a day to day basis, too.

I wanted to say a full round action, but im not sure...

EDIT: its a standard action.