PDA

View Full Version : what are some spells or spell combos that can be used in way other then intended.

morkendi
2014-07-14, 08:18 AM
Dark way is the first one I know that is intended to be a bridge, but set it on its side, and it becomes a pretty good wall between 2 points.

A combo I have used. I have shadow welled myself. In the description, it says you can cast gate to escape, so it is assumed you can cast in the well. I have used it on myself to buff, but best use I have found is summon a bunch of incorperal undead like allips and shadows, make them get in my backpack or bag of holding, then come back and have them attack. I know I have to make a will save or flee in this case, but it's a casters best save that i usually make.

Im am looking for other examples of this.

TeslaJr
2014-07-14, 10:14 AM
Heroics + Embrace the Dark Chaos + Shun the Dark Chaos. Basically, it gives you all the feats ever. You cast Heroics to give yourself a Fighter bonus feat that you qualify for, say Toughness, then you cast Embrace the Dark Chaos to permanently switch out Toughness for an Abyssal Heritor feat. Then you cast Shun the Dark Chaos to switch out one of your Abyssal Heritor feats for any other feat you qualify for.

Karnith
2014-07-14, 11:21 AM
Does casting Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) to brighten up a dark room count? not sure if it should be blue

Necroticplague
2014-07-14, 12:24 PM
Hungry? Stone to flesh can not only unpetrify your friends, but turn meatballs and boulders into food! Stupid stone walls in the way? Eat through the dungeon!

Similarly: Flesh to Stone friend. Stone shape them to change features. Stone to Flesh them back. Because screw surgery, we have magic!

Prestidigitation can make something damp, providing fire resistance 1. Fire resistance or immunity gives you immunity to the damage from lava. Ergo you can use prestidigitation to make an object immune to lava damage.

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 12:38 PM
The spell Simulacrum is generally used to get free wishes by making copies of solars and the like.

However! It can also be used by lonely wizards to create friends to talk to. Many wizards have dumped charisma and no real people skills so the ability to create their own snow-buddy is invaluable.

morkendi
2014-07-14, 01:59 PM
I like doing things in game that make my dm say, "what?" but are completely rule legal and not cheese. My dm laughed when I pollymorped a big bad guy into a turtle. He asked why, so he couldn't run away. I then stuck said turtle in my bag of holding, waited the 10 minutes for it to sufficate, the pulled it back out to disspell my pollymorh and loot the body.

Emperor Tippy
2014-07-14, 02:41 PM
Charm X + Hypnotism

It's level 1 Mind Rape.

" While the subject is fascinated by this spell, it reacts as though it were two steps more friendly in attitude. This allows you to make a single request of the affected creature (provided you can communicate with it). The request must be brief and reasonable. Even after the spell ends, the creature retains its new attitude toward you, but only with respect to that particular request.

A creature that fails its saving throw does not remember that you enspelled it. "

Charm makes the creature Friendly and two steps above that is Fanatical. Have fun burying all kinds of commands that the creature is willing to die to achieve inside their psyche without them remembering them and with it being Instantaneous duration there is no real way to remove the commands.

Oneris
2014-07-14, 03:03 PM
Passwall through the ceiling or floor to bypass entire levels of dungeons, or to create a skylight during the day for an attack against vampires.

Necroticplague
2014-07-14, 03:22 PM
Passwall through the ceiling or floor to bypass entire levels of dungeons, or to create a skylight during the day for an attack against vampires.

Disintegrate can be used for the same purposes, as well.

Urpriest
2014-07-14, 03:36 PM
A combo I have used. I have shadow welled myself. In the description, it says you can cast gate to escape, so it is assumed you can cast in the well. I have used it on myself to buff, but best use I have found is summon a bunch of incorperal undead like allips and shadows, make them get in my backpack or bag of holding, then come back and have them attack. I know I have to make a will save or flee in this case, but it's a casters best save that i usually make.

Im am looking for other examples of this.

Pretty sure you only make one save: if you fail the save to get trapped, you don't get a new save to resist fleeing.

nedz
2014-07-14, 03:44 PM
Pretty sure you only make one save: if you fail the save to get trapped, you don't get a new save to resist fleeing.

Upon returning to the real world, the subject must succeed on another Will save or be frightened for 1d4 rounds.

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 03:46 PM
Disintegrate can be used for the same purposes, as well.

As can Stone Shape depending on the thickness of the ceiling.

Jergmo
2014-07-14, 03:52 PM
Charm X + Hypnotism

It's level 1 Mind Rape.

" While the subject is fascinated by this spell, it reacts as though it were two steps more friendly in attitude. This allows you to make a single request of the affected creature (provided you can communicate with it). The request must be brief and reasonable. Even after the spell ends, the creature retains its new attitude toward you, but only with respect to that particular request.

A creature that fails its saving throw does not remember that you enspelled it. "

Charm makes the creature Friendly and two steps above that is Fanatical. Have fun burying all kinds of commands that the creature is willing to die to achieve inside their psyche without them remembering them and with it being Instantaneous duration there is no real way to remove the commands.

Tippy, you made the Royal Magister in my E6 game... ten times more scary than he already was.

Urpriest
2014-07-14, 03:56 PM

Ah, looks like I was looking at the Magic of Faerun version. Carry on.

Nibbens
2014-07-14, 03:59 PM
Dimension door a person the maximum distance, except the other end of the spell is directly above the party.

They fall.

and fall.

and fall.

and die.

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 03:59 PM
There's always the old classic of casting the Mount spell to create some cover.

Oneris
2014-07-14, 04:01 PM
Dimension door a person the maximum distance, except the other end of the spell is directly above the party.

They fall.
and fall.
and fall.
and die.

Requires you to accompany them, and they must be willing.

Nibbens
2014-07-14, 04:04 PM
Requires you to accompany them, and they must be willing.

Awww... why you spoil my fun! lol.

Okay...
1) Charm person.
2) "hey, come with me please?" request.
3) DD into the air.
4) Feather fall on self.

anything else I'm missing?

Arbane
2014-07-14, 04:17 PM

Now you're thinking with Portals.

I don't know how 'unintended' it is, but in one game I was in, the cleric used Wall of Stone to build impromptu housing for her followers. (And before she joined, my witch once went the other direction - conjuring a Secure Shelter so its back wall would block a doorway.)

hymer
2014-07-14, 04:19 PM

You can't act after Dimension Door'ing until your next turn, so you need some other means than casting Feather Fall yourself, unless the DM rules you fall for sufficiently long - which of course would mean the other guy would get to act while falling next to you, hardly ideal.
The real issue here is that you're spending three spells killing one person (and DD isn't needed - levitate could do it just fine at half the spell level). It's hardly economical whether from a 'spells used' stand-point or an 'actions used' stand-point.

Urpriest
2014-07-14, 04:22 PM
Awww... why you spoil my fun! lol.

Okay...
1) Charm person.
2) "hey, come with me please?" request.
3) DD into the air.
4) Feather fall on self.

In general, you can't use Conjuration spells to transport creatures or objects where there isn't a surface capable of supporting them.

Karnith
2014-07-14, 04:27 PM
In general, you can't use Conjuration spells to transport creatures or objects where there isn't a surface capable of supporting them.
Only if you're creating the object/creature/whatever or transporting them to your location (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#conjuration), though. If you are, say, teleporting something (or yourself) away from you, you're generally fine dropping it in mid-air.

Urpriest
2014-07-14, 04:28 PM
Only if you're creating the object/creature/whatever or transporting them to your location (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#conjuration), though. If you are, say, teleporting something away from you, you're generally fine dropping something into mid-air.

Since you travel along with Dimension Door, though, you're always teleporting someone to your location.

Emperor Tippy
2014-07-14, 04:33 PM
Since you travel along with Dimension Door, though, you're always teleporting someone to your location.

No, you are teleporting the creature from your location to a location that you will occupy in the future.

To be more precise though, the legality of an action is checked before the action is performed and you aren't at the arrival point when you cast the spell. Only after you cast the spell.

Oneris
2014-07-14, 04:36 PM
Have your party sit on your floating disk to bypass their abysmal Move Silently check.

Or, have a wizard friend cast Floating Disk and sit on it and cast your own Floating Disk and have him sit on it then Gust of Wind for a perpetual motion machine/carousel.:smallbiggrin:

nedz
2014-07-14, 05:22 PM
I saw Re-incarnation used for food production recently.

Basically: small island with an enchantment which reincarnates anyone who dies automatically; consequently the locals are cannibals but no one dies, well for more than a few minutes anyway.