PDA

View Full Version : Combat + puzzle encounter, is this too hard?

Madeiner
2014-07-14, 11:24 AM
Hi there.
Im trying to design a combat and puzzle encounter for a dungeon & dragons sessions.
I came up with an idea, but i think it's probably too hard to do this puzzle while fightning monsters.

This is the setup:
1) We use maptool, so we have a screen and we can move pieces around with ease.
2) Fluff is they need to repair an ancient machine that is currently broken, in order to progress.

This is the map:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/344x612q90/843/crnk.png

Blocks can only move backwards and forwards on the long side, not along the short side.
The red tile is 10x20 in size, suspended on moving rails like all other pieces.
Characters that are adjacent to a tile can move it anywhere in 1 move action, by pushing it.
That map is ALSO the battlemap. While resolving the puzzle, monsters continuosly attack them, round by round, until the puzzle is solved. This means that not every character will be able to move pieces around, but more like 1 or 2 out of 4 characters, since they also need to defend themselves.
Characters (but not monsters) can slip between the blocks with a moderate difficulty check, allowing some breathing room, and also the option to crush them between wall and tiles.

What do you say? Doable? Too hard? Fun? I can solve this puzzle very easily, but its because i grew accustomed with the game and i did quite a few times. I fear its going to be too long to do while counting rounds and killing monsters.
Can you propose something easier that works like this puzzle? Bonus points if its an android or pc game so that i can easily steal it take inspiration from it

If you want to try the puzzle, its from the game "Unblock me FREE" on Android.
This is the easiest i could fine (i think) in the game.

JusticeZero
2014-07-14, 11:44 AM
That looks like it takes 12 moves to me. Maybe a bit more from mistakes. Assuming monsters don't get in the way. That means maybe 20+ rounds of combat, which is a heroically long fight that is likely to get old before it's finished, i'd guess.

Amphetryon
2014-07-14, 12:24 PM
Hi there.
Im trying to design a combat and puzzle encounter for a dungeon & dragons sessions.
I came up with an idea, but i think it's probably too hard to do this puzzle while fightning monsters.

This is the setup:
1) We use maptool, so we have a screen and we can move pieces around with ease.
2) Fluff is they need to repair an ancient machine that is currently broken, in order to progress.

This is the map:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/344x612q90/843/crnk.png

Blocks can only move backwards and forwards on the long side, not along the short side.
The red tile is 10x20 in size, suspended on moving rails like all other pieces.
Characters that are adjacent to a tile can move it anywhere in 1 move action, by pushing it.
That map is ALSO the battlemap. While resolving the puzzle, monsters continuosly attack them, round by round, until the puzzle is solved. This means that not every character will be able to move pieces around, but more like 1 or 2 out of 4 characters, since they also need to defend themselves.
Characters (but not monsters) can slip between the blocks with a moderate difficulty check, allowing some breathing room, and also the option to crush them between wall and tiles.

What do you say? Doable? Too hard? Fun? I can solve this puzzle very easily, but its because i grew accustomed with the game and i did quite a few times. I fear its going to be too long to do while counting rounds and killing monsters.
Can you propose something easier that works like this puzzle? Bonus points if its an android or pc game so that i can easily steal it take inspiration from it

If you want to try the puzzle, its from the game "Unblock me FREE" on Android.
This is the easiest i could fine (i think) in the game.
Looks like a test of player's abilities, from here. Is that a regular feature of your games, or do you prefer to allow players to run characters that have different strengths and weaknesses than the players have, themselves?

Madeiner
2014-07-14, 01:00 PM
Looks like a test of player's abilities, from here. Is that a regular feature of your games, or do you prefer to allow players to run characters that have different strengths and weaknesses than the players have, themselves?

This one is a test of player ability, definately.
This is a rare thing usually for me, but sometimes it happens.
This time i just wanted something that takes about 1 hours, as we have to wait for 1 player to make it to the session and i don't wanna play the "good" parts without him, actually.

DonEsteban
2014-07-14, 04:14 PM
That looks like it takes 12 moves to me. Maybe a bit more from mistakes. Assuming monsters don't get in the way. That means maybe 20+ rounds of combat, which is a heroically long fight that is likely to get old before it's finished, i'd guess.

About 14 is what I immediately see. Took me about a minute to figure out. I tend to be good at this kind of thing, but so are many D&D players I know. Don't forget that the number of rounds may be cut in half if two players are able to collaborate.

Yes, it tests player abilities, but that's fine if it's not a big no go for your players. I think it's a fun idea! What edition of D&D? In 4th it might be more fun, because players can shift monsters around to gain space for moving blocks. If it's 3.5, there's only bull rush. You might want to invent and encourage a little taunt/shift/whatever mechanic.

As always, be open to out-of-the-box solutions that your players might come up with. Don't insist on enforcing "the one solution" that you thought of.

Madeiner
2014-07-14, 04:50 PM
About 14 is what I immediately see. Took me about a minute to figure out. I tend to be good at this kind of thing, but so are many D&D players I know. Don't forget that the number of rounds may be cut in half if two players are able to collaborate.

Yes, it tests player abilities, but that's fine if it's not a big no go for your players. I think it's a fun idea! What edition of D&D? In 4th it might be more fun, because players can shift monsters around to gain space for moving blocks. If it's 3.5, there's only bull rush. You might want to invent and encourage a little taunt/shift/whatever mechanic.

As always, be open to out-of-the-box solutions that your players might come up with. Don't insist on enforcing "the one solution" that you thought of.

Edition is pathfinder.
Current idea is that pushing a block against an enemy inflicts damage based on traveled distance.
Also, anything they come up to simplify the puzzle is welcome: telekinesis, destroying or teleporting blocks away, whatever.

I'm thinking monsters should come in waves, and give a bonus if they solve the puzzle before all the monsters are dead.