PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ballista use

Stuvius
2014-07-14, 11:47 AM
Hi Everyone!

I am planning an upcoming campaign and I want to write in an encounter where the enemies utilize a ballista against the party. I found the ballista and accompanying info in the DMG however the RAW do not address two issues.

1. Is there a minimum intelligence level required to utilize a siege weapon? I was considering staffing the ballista with ogres or something similar. Could they handle this?

and…

2. The DMG indicates "It takes a creature smaller than large two full-round actions to reload the ballista for firing". If I staff the ballista with two creatures of that size does it half the reload time?

Apologies if these are silly questions. I haven't had an occasion to use siege weapons as yet and I wanted to get it right.

Thanks

Jeraa
2014-07-14, 11:52 AM
1. Is there a minimum intelligence level required to utilize a siege weapon?

No. There is no minimum Intelligence requires to use any weapon.

2. The DMG indicates "It takes a creature smaller than large two full-round actions to reload the ballista for firing". If I staff the ballista with two creatures of that size does it half the reload time?

By RAW, no. However, other siege engines indicate that multiple crew members can reduce the time for reloading, with each one taking a full-round action. So it would be a reasonable houserule that 2 crewmembers can reduce the time needed to a single full round action.

Stuvius
2014-07-14, 12:15 PM
Thanks!

Quick follow-up question.

Is the attack bonus the same as the creature(s) operating the ballista or is that set elswere?

Magesmiley
2014-07-14, 12:42 PM
Heroes of Battle has more extensive rules for siege weapons than the DMG, if I recall.

Bronk
2014-07-14, 12:51 PM
Heroes of Battle has more extensive rules for siege weapons than the DMG, if I recall.

They show up in the Arms and Equipment Guide and Stormwrack as well...