PDA

View Full Version : The Giovanni Saga (V20); Viktor's Thread

BenjCano
2014-07-14, 12:16 PM
“Looters become looted, while time and tide make us mercenaries all.”
-Patrick Rothfuss, "The Wise Man's Fear"

"Mostly in the east, alongside the christian forces. It seems that the services of our type are in great demand lately," Viktor said to Marchettus.

"Truth. A man has never lost a fortune beating a plowshare into a sword. The other way around though?" The Italian shook his head with a self-satisfied smirk. "Now, I am a plain man, used to plain speech and plain dealing. I have no use for liars and deceivers, people who wave words like boys wave sticks pretending that they are swords. So what I say next, please understand that I mean nothing deeper than the words themselves mean."

With a hand on Viktor's arm like the jerk of a hound straining at the leash, Marchettus pulled the mercenary away from the table, into a side gallery where they could see the mingling crowd, but were themselves concealed. "I think that men like Claudius Giovanni are a millstone around the neck of mankind. I believe that these false princes and poisonous lordlings should have their entrails ripped from their body, and choked to death on the testicles of their heirs.

"What do you think should be done with princes and priests?"

Dagoth Gares
2014-07-14, 04:33 PM
Surprised that the man who, willingly it seemed, was in Giovanni's company could have such a low opinion of the him, Viktor took a moment to think before responding."I can't disagree that there is certainly something to do about those born into wealth and power who have never worked a day in their lives. I think men such as them should be cast down to the level of us lowly workers and then we will see who can earn their place."

BenjCano
2014-07-15, 12:17 AM
"They of course, will respond that they have earned their place," Marchettus responds, looking back at Viktor and stroking his magnificent beard. "They will say that they earned their place when they or their forebearers forged the land into a kingdom through force of arms. Or they will say that the station of their birth is as God wills the world to be, and to rebel against that is to rebel against God. What say you to this?"

Dagoth Gares
2014-07-15, 11:51 AM
To the first, I say that paying your way to power with men to kill all who oppose you is not truly earning your place. As for the second, I say that they have nothing but lies. The Lord does not appoint incompetent fools to rule over men. I despise that kind of man the most, those that hide behind bold claims and say to all that question them that they are the heretics.

BenjCano
2014-07-19, 08:50 PM
"Well well," said Marchettus. "You have spirit, and boldness. I like it very much. And I expected to encounter nothing more than a man with a strong arm and reasonable bladder control, nevertheless enslaved to as much superstition about the nobility as almost every man, woman, and child in this God-forsaken country.

"Let us suppose then, that your goal was to lance this boil on the backside of mankind; the princes and the priests. Where do you start? By raising up the common folk to storm their keeps by your side? Would you cut them down one at a time? Or is it more your style to wage war subtly?"

Dagoth Gares
2014-07-20, 06:33 PM
"That is what I am not so sure about. The people are resistant to change and right now they think that there is someone providing for them. They don't realise that they don't need those men controlling their lives. It is naive to think that we could simply open all of their eyes though, and if we just kill all bastards in charge then more will take their place using the same lies. It is hard not to think of a situation that does not end with me dead by the hands of the people I am trying to free."

BenjCano
2014-07-20, 11:18 PM
Marchettus nodded in agreement. "It will probably happen no matter what path you choose to walk. Most revolutionaries are killed, and count themselves lucky if they are not tortured first. Revolution is ramming your head against a brick wall again and again, until one of the two breaks." Beneath his thick beard, a fierce and wolfish grin split his face, revealing white teeth. "I like you, Viktor. Why don't you and I inflict some damage on this gaudy, gilded trash?"

Dagoth Gares
2014-07-21, 03:52 PM
"I suppose that we can at least hope to inspire future generations to take up the fight." Viktor smiled in return."Very well, you will have me fighting at your side in whatever plans you have made. Let's make those bastards pay for what they have done."

BenjCano
2014-07-23, 02:05 PM
The look in Marchettus' eye is not unlike the pride in the expression of a father whose son has taken his first steps. "I was hoping you'd say that." He draws Viktor off, and pushes through the door through which the thirteen guests of Lord Giovanni came to meet their host. The servants are quick to shut it up again behind them, but not they have an entire hallway to themselves.

With a smile on his face, Marchettus pushes a vase from the stand where it rests. It shatters against the floor, delicate pottery shards carving white scratches into the marble tile of the floor. He looks expectantly at Viktor.

Dagoth Gares
2014-07-23, 04:52 PM
I guess the destruction of their expensive toys will be our first step., Viktor thought. He walked over to where another vase had been delicately placed and gave it a good shove into the floor. "Useless piece of ****.", he mumbled as it shattered. "I can hardly believe that those overgrown brats value these things more than the men and women who build their damn palaces for them."

BenjCano
2014-07-23, 10:55 PM
"Yes, that's it!" calls Marchettus, taking the knife from his belt and slashing diagonally across a painting of the Madonna and child Christ. He tosses the blade underhanded to Victor, pointing to the upholstered divan against one wall. "It's all bought with blood money and usury! Show them that Mammon's treasure cannot withstand a revolutionary spirit!"

Dagoth Gares
2014-07-24, 01:14 PM
Viktor caught the knife and then turned to slice the painting to shreds before ripping it out of its frame and throwing the pieces to the floor. "They are nothing but parasites feeding off of the working people! They would murder ten men for these pretty little scraps of paper."

BenjCano
2014-07-28, 10:26 PM
Stealth roll on behalf of Viktor: 0 successes (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588072/)

The two men have a grant time slashing Lord Giovanni's paintings, breaking the delicate vases and pottery, and carving rude phrases on the imported Italian furniture. At some point, the noise becomes too much for the guards to ignore, even given the thick stone walls and stout oak doors. A man pokes his head around the corner, sees the two men engaged in wanton destruction, and immediately calls for his fellows. He strides purposefully into the hall where Viktor and Marchettus engaged in their vandalism, putting a hand on the club at his belt. "Stop this, stop this at once!" he demands.

Dagoth Gares
2014-07-29, 01:19 AM
Viktor whirls around to face the guard standing tall and defiant, given a boost of confidence by Marchettus. He looks to his comrade for an indication of how to respond.

BenjCano
2014-07-29, 10:00 PM
"There he is!" cried Marchettus, holding out his massive arm and pointing at Viktor with the dread authority of a man identifying in open court a murderer. "He's gone mad, I tell you, cutting paintings and breaking the precious things of Lord Giovanni."

"Just you come with us, son," says the guardsman who had spotted the acts of carnage and destruction. Now there are three men present, and Lord Marchettus, and the guardsmen have out their clubs. The traitorous Marchettus is grinning a wide, feral grin at the plight of the young mercenary.

Dagoth Gares
2014-07-29, 11:15 PM
It was the oldest trick in the book. If you wanted to root out dissedents, you just had to act like one and the rest would come running. Viktor cursed himself for being so trusting. He knew that there was no way to escape punishment here and surrendered himself to his fate. Viktor threw the knife to Marchettus's feet and said bitterly, Thanks for letting me borrow this. May you wake up with it embedded in your back. He then looked to the guard and said, Got any restraints you want to put me in? It seems I am insane for following Marchettus.

BenjCano
2014-08-02, 10:05 PM
Believing that Viktor did not intend to resist, two of the guards took up flanking positions on the mercenary, while the one that had discovered the disturbance took point as they marched back into the dining hall. Viktor is taken to the head of the table, where Lord Giovanni had sat, while a servant is sent off running to inform the Lord of what has occurred.

Marchettus has followed the action back into the dining room, and takes an indolent position, partially seated on the massive table with his arms folded across his thick chest. The musicians still play, and the various other hosts and guests circle around. Only Viktor and Marchettus are at rest now, a calm island in the sea of activity. The man is bold as brass, smiling a toothy grin at Viktor, a laugh in his eye as the pair of them wait for the return of the master.

He is not overly long. The deathly pale, portly man enters the dining hall from the antechamber where the vandalism was done, and strides towards them. He circles around Viktor, so that he can take his seat like a king on a throne about to pronounce judgement. "Well?" Lord Giovanni demands.

"I tried to stop him, Claudius, but he was adamant," replied Marchettus.

"I invite you into my home, open my table for you, and this is how you repay me?" demands Lord Giovanni, turning on Viktor without even a moment's hesitation over Marchettus' words. His voice is high and reedy with anger, and the musicians' strings screech across their instruments at the noise. "You give me one good reason why I should not cut your heart out of your chest and feast upon it."

Dagoth Gares
2014-08-03, 09:03 AM
Viktor, taken by surprise by Giovanni's particular threat, takes a moment to collect himself before speaking. We have both been decieved Lord Giovanni. Marchettus urged me to destroy your wealth, claiming that it was all the treasures of Mammon. He told me that you were a millstone around the neck of mankind, the type who decieves his way to power and then abuses it. Now I see that the liar in his stories was not you, but him. I know that you have already made your choice of what to do with me, but I urge you, don't let Marchettus betray you as he has done to me.

BenjCano
2014-08-06, 08:43 PM
Claudius Giovanni's eyes flicker to Marchettus. The mercenary shrugs and speaks a single word. "Lies."

"Obviously," replies Giovanni.

"And add to his bald-faced dishonesty a stupidity of the rankest sort. He was not even clever enough to go about his vandalism stealthily, or have a scapegoat at hand if the plan went south. He has a lot to learn, if you will give him the chance."

"As if I would better train a man to rob me and destroy my precious things," muttered Giovanni.

"Still," said Marchettus.

"As you like it. If he will beg now, then he will only lose a hand after the feast, and may have his life."

Dagoth Gares
2014-08-07, 12:53 PM
Viktor felt a mixture of anger and dissapointment towards both himself and Marchettus. He had just found someone that he could share his true beliefs with and saw them murdered by reality. He decided that he would never allow himself to be so easily betrayed again. "Please, Lord Giovanni... Please spare my life so that I may repay you for your mercy."

BenjCano
2014-08-07, 02:21 PM
"Stop," says Claudius Giovanni. "A request of this magnitude....I really think you should be asking on your knees."

Dagoth Gares
2014-08-07, 04:34 PM
Barely containing his disgust for the men in front of him, Viktor kneels before Giovanni. Trying his hardest to keep the anger from his voice, he speaks again. I am Sorry my lord. Please allow me to keep my life so that I may use it to serve you.

BenjCano
2014-08-11, 08:06 PM
With infinite coldness, Lord Giovanni raises a hand and brushes it away. "I will decide whether or not to spare your life after dinner."

This is the part where we wrap up your scene. Tell me; what's Viktor going to walk away from after this experience? Is he still going to go the way of the revolutionary? Has he learned anything? Is he more angry with Marchettus for betraying him, or himself for falling for the ruse?

Dagoth Gares
2014-08-12, 08:11 PM
Marchettus has effected Viktor in several ways. First, despite his betrayal, Viktor remains convinced that he should do something rather nothing. Second, Viktor is going to be a lot more careful about who he trusts, bordering on paranoia. Third, Viktor is going to be looking out for some way to get revenge on Marchettus, preferably in a manner similar to how he was betrayed. He is angry at himself for falling for it so easily, but that does not stop him from being disgusted and infuriated by Marchettus's actions.

BenjCano
2014-08-16, 01:26 AM
Maybe vengeance will be served with dinner. In any event, have yourself 3 XP.