PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Replacing metals with monster parts

Kazyan
2014-07-14, 02:51 PM
I'm starting a new campaign in my homebrew campaign setting, 118 years after the previous one that ended in the destruction of an Elder Evil. The Sign rusted metal objects, and almost all metal--except currency--fell apart in the Overwhelming Sign stage.

So, the people of the setting would have come up with an alternative for metal equipment since then. I would like to avoid changing game statistics of armor and weaponry, so the replacement material should be roughly as strong as iron and somewhat available.

A material derived from low-level monsters would be ideal, as the setting is heavily based on interactions with monsters and the population of civilized races (i.e. conventional LA+0 races) is small--somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000 in the entire Material Plane. Currently, I'm thinking of using the chitin of Giant Ants or Gem Scarabs, but if something else is more accessible, I'll probably use that too.

Any ideas?

torrasque666
2014-07-14, 02:53 PM
Check out Dark Sun. Its basically the same, only with less magic.

Gildedragon
2014-07-14, 05:30 PM
Stone?
Riverine!
alchemy the metals back into useable state?
darkwood?
Deep crystal

Snowbluff
2014-07-14, 05:32 PM
I don't know about you, but my Zvolta Demolisher took forever to farm up. How can so many Brachydios not have slime on them? They fight with slime!

Rijan_Sai
2014-07-14, 06:15 PM
1st thought reading the OP:
"What about all the poor Rust Monsters?"
:smallamused:

Slipperychicken
2014-07-14, 09:37 PM
1st thought reading the OP:
"What about all the poor Rust Monsters?"
:smallamused:

>Wait until the rust monsters starve to death
>Go to plane of earth or cast Wall of Iron a lot
>Bring iron back to a world purged of rust monsters
>Build an iron/steel statue of a rust monster to commemorate their eradication
>Profit because of extreme scarcity of iron driving up prices.