PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gaining extra spell slots.

heavyfuel
2014-07-14, 05:04 PM
Besides the obvious choices of getting a better Ability Modifier, and the Extra Slot feat, is there any way of increasing the number of spells per day one can cast?

I know about Pearls of Power, but they just let you re-cast a spell, not have different spells, and I already have Versatile Spellcaster, so that's also a no-go.

Thanks!

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 05:08 PM
Craft contingent spell can get you loads of extra spells. Just have the spells keyed to go off when your character thinks specific thought patterns and voila, as many extra spells as you can craft.

All able to be cast at the speed of thought

Jeff the Green
2014-07-14, 05:16 PM
Arcane Manipulation (LEoF) will let you break down a high-level spell slot into multiple lower-level ones.

holywhippet
2014-07-14, 05:20 PM
You could buy or make a ring of wizardry. They came in versions 1-4 and each one doubles the number of spells you can cast of that level per day.

heavyfuel
2014-07-14, 05:26 PM
You could buy or make a ring of wizardry. They came in versions 1-4 and each one doubles the number of spells you can cast of that level per day.

Arcane Manipulation (LEoF) will let you break down a high-level spell slot into multiple lower-level ones.

Arcane casters be damned! I probably should have mentioned but my char is a Favored Soul/Spelldancer that persists most spells, which leaves me somewhat starved in the Spells per day department. I don't suppose there's a Divine version of these feats? Maybe in one of the Magazines?

Craft contingent spell can get you loads of extra spells. Just have the spells keyed to go off when your character thinks specific thought patterns and voila, as many extra spells as you can craft.

All able to be cast at the speed of thought

This works somewhat. The XP cost is pretty steep though, considering they're single shot spells and not "permanent" like a magic item. I might pick this up when I reach 11th CL, but until then the suggestions can keep coming!

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 05:45 PM
Remember that with distiller joy you can get rid of xp costs.

holywhippet
2014-07-14, 06:23 PM
You could ask your DM about making a custom item that works the same as a ring of wizardry for divine casters. I think there was such an item in one of the 2nd edition supplements but not for third edition.

heavyfuel
2014-07-14, 11:24 PM
Remember that with distiller joy you can get rid of xp costs.

Hmm I had totally forgotten about that. If only it didn't have a 24hr cast time. Oh well... You can't have everything I guess :smallbiggrin:

You could ask your DM about making a custom item that works the same as a ring of wizardry for divine casters. I think there was such an item in one of the 2nd edition supplements but not for third edition.

Probably won't work. I'll ask, but I have the impression I'll get a big ol' "no" to the face

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 11:34 PM
Hmm I had totally forgotten about that. If only it didn't have a 24hr cast time. Oh well... You can't have everything I guess

Build your joy palace on a plane where time passes faster than on the material plane.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-15, 03:20 AM
Memento magica are the equivalent of pearls of power for spontaneous casters. They cost 1.5x as much, though.

Darrin
2014-07-15, 06:02 AM
Dragon Disciple and Wonderworker (BoED) both grant extra spell slots. Wonderworker might be worth a look for a divine caster, although it requires two exalted feats.

heavyfuel
2014-07-15, 10:29 AM
Memento magica are the equivalent of pearls of power for spontaneous casters. They cost 1.5x as much, though.

That looks interesting. Where can I find these?

Dragon Disciple and Wonderworker (BoED) both grant extra spell slots. Wonderworker might be worth a look for a divine caster, although it requires two exalted feats.

Bu- But all those caster levels...

Jeff the Green
2014-07-15, 12:45 PM
That looks interesting. Where can I find these?

Magic Item Compendium.