PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a homestead

Oddman80
2014-07-14, 05:44 PM
In which 3.0 or 3.5 sourcebooks would I find guidelines for costs of houses, land / property, and the like?

Blackhawk748
2014-07-14, 05:57 PM
Cityscape has costs of houses

Oddman80
2014-07-14, 06:37 PM
Thanks. Took some searching, but an average cottage ranges between 1k-4k gp, while a fine villa or manor ranges between 4k-16k gp. Land, on the other hand, seems like it can only be takes by force, claimed via absence of other claimants,or granted by DM.

Tanngrisnir
2014-07-14, 06:47 PM
Check out the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook too, it has rules for building anything from houses to castles, various building materials, staff etc. I quite like it.

Coidzor
2014-07-14, 06:57 PM
Thanks. Took some searching, but an average cottage ranges between 1k-4k gp, while a fine villa or manor ranges between 4k-16k gp. Land, on the other hand, seems like it can only be takes by force, claimed via absence of other claimants,or granted by DM.

I mean, if you want to make a homestead you're pretty much just going to do it in the wilderness anyway.

And there's a number of spells, especially druid spells that would help with the earthworks component, IIRC.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-14, 08:21 PM
IIRC you can legally claim land that is in the wilderness, there is also a surprising amount of land outside of kingdoms, or if you dont mind having a liege lord, you could offer to buy some land from him and manage it in his stead. This is actually how it worked. I also seem to recall something about owning any land you cleared yourself.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-14, 08:30 PM
IIRC you can legally claim land that is in the wilderness, there is also a surprising amount of land outside of kingdoms, or if you dont mind having a liege lord, you could offer to buy some land from him and manage it in his stead. This is actually how it worked. I also seem to recall something about owning any land you cleared yourself.

That's going to depend on the setting and location in the setting, obviously. You could have anything ranging from 19th-century US (where the majority of the land is owned by the government but can be claimed by anyone willing to work it) to 9th-century Iceland (true terra incognita, unclaimed by anyone and so yours if you can maintain control of it) to medieval Britain (plenty of wilderness but it's all owned by the king who will have you killed horribly if you try to settle there).