PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Fiend-related new magic [PEACH]

kinem
2014-07-14, 07:30 PM
New Magic Items:

Rod of Exorcism
This rough wooden rod is tipped with a silvery coating. It can function as a silver club (1d6 damage). The wielder can touch the tip to a possessed creature and speak the command word; this typically requires an attack roll, but this attack ignores natural armor. The possessing life force must make a Will save (DC 23) or be expelled. If it is a fiend, its incorporeal form is shunted into the nearest available open space. The expelled fiend cannot attempt to possess a host for 24 hours thereafter. The wielder can also use following spell-like abilities, each 2/day: magic circle against evil, banishment (DC 20), remove curse, searing light (5d8 damage). Caster level 17; price: 30,000 gp. Requires Craft Rod, exorcism, magic circle against evil, banishment, remove curse, searing light.

Elixir of Exorcism
Upon drinking this foul-smelling red concoction, the drinker make make a Will save at the same DC of whatever spell or effect is possessing him. If successful, the possessing force is expelled. If it is a fiend, its life force returns to its own body. If it is normally incorporeal and so has no body, it is shunted into the nearest available open space. The expelled being cannot attempt to possess the same host for 24 hours. A creature unwilling or (probably due to being controlled) unable to drink the elixir can be given its benefit by being anointed with it. Unless immobile, this requires a ranged touch attack with a -4 penalty and a 10' range. Caster level 6; price: 500 gp. Requires Craft Potion, Craft Wondrous Item, exorcism.

Amulet of Supernatural Venom
This snake-head-shaped red stone amulet charges the wearer's poisons with supernatural power. It does not, by itself, grant any ability to make poisonous attacks. However, any poisonous natural, melee weapon, spell, spell-like ability, or spit attacks the wearer makes are harder to resist (+2 Fort save DC for the poison) and can affect creatures otherwise immune to poison (albeit with -2 DC instead of +2 DC), whether naturally or due to a spell such as Heroes' Feast. Creatures resistant to poison who normally get a bonus to save vs. poison do not get that bonus against such attacks. Creatures such as undead who are immune to effects requiring Fort saves which don't affect objects are still immune to the poison. Caster level 10; price: 20,000 gp. Requires Craft Wondrous Item, supernatural venom.

Amulet of the Magic Claw
This amulet resembles an obsidian dragon claw. When worn, your natural weapons (and unarmed strike) gain an enhancement bonus, strike as magical weapons for overcoming DR, and on each hit have a 50% chance to damage an incorporeal opponent. Amulets can be given the same properties as magical melee weapons can, up to maximums of +5 enhancement bonus and +10 total equivalent bonus. The amulet does not need to have a +1 enhancement bonus to grant a melee weapon special ability, but an enhancement bonus is required to bypass DR x/magic.
Creator’s caster level must be at least three times the amulet's bonus, plus any requirements of the melee weapon special abilities; price: 4000 gp x bonus x bonus. Requires Craft Wondrous Item, greater magic fang.

Hypocritical Weapon
This property can only be applied to an anarchic, axiomatic, holy, or unholy weapon. The weapon does not bestow a negative level on its wielder, regardless of alignment. Fiends who are devoted to fighting other fiends (such as in the Blood War) favor hypocritical holy weapons. CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, undetectable alignment; Price +1 bonus.

Outsider's Eternal Wand
This eternal wand can hold an arcane or divine spell. An arcane version can be used normally by an arcane caster, and a divine version can be used normally by a divine caster. In addition, either can be used by any outsider who has spell-like abilities. In any case, it can be used a maximum of twice per day. Spells with expensive material components or XP components can't be put into such wands. Versions with a higher caster level can be made, with a correspondingly higher price (1000 gp x spell level x caster level, or 500 gp x caster level for 0-level spells).

Spell level Min Caster level Price (gp) Save DC
0 1 500 10
1 1 1,000 11
2 3 6,000 13
3 5 15,000 14
4 7 28,000 17

Portation barding
This barding property allows a mount to be teleported along with its rider, without it counting as an extra creature. A rider with the ability to teleport himself only (and perhaps up to 50 lbs of gear) can teleport his mount and its load as well if it is wearing this barding.
CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, mount, teleport; Price: +6000 gp.

New Spells:

Supernatural Venom
Necromancy
Level: Clr 3, Druid 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell charges the target creature's poisons with supernatural power. It does not, by itself, grant any ability to make poisonous attacks. Any poisonous natural, melee weapon, spell, spell-like ability, or spit attacks the target creature makes are harder to resist (+2 Fort save DC for the poison) and can affect creatures otherwise immune to poison (albeit with -2 DC instead of +2 DC), whether naturally or due to a spell such as Heroes' Feast. Creatures resistant to poison who normally get a bonus to save vs. poison do not get that bonus against such attacks. Creatures such as undead who are immune to effects requiring Fort saves which don't affect objects are still immune to the poison.

Locate Possessor
Divination
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature or object and its possessors
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell reveals the locations of the physical bodies of any creatures that are possessing the target creature, if any, as discern location if the body is on the same plane. If the body is on a different plane, it reveals only which plane. Each possessor's SR applies and it can resist this spell with a successful Will save.

Hipster Dixit
2014-07-15, 03:22 AM
Not bad. I like fiends and fiend-related things!

A few notes:

this typically requires an attack roll, but this attack ignores natural armor.

Why not just make it touch attack? Although I can see a (dwarven) exorcist beating the crap out of the poor victim in order to pull out the demon :D

the drinker make make a Will save at the same DC of whatever spell or effect is possessing him.

You may want to specify what do you mean with 'spell or effect that is possessing him'. Does the elixir works against Dominate Person?

Unless immobile, this requires a ranged touch attack with a -4 penalty and a 5' range

I'm not sure, but doesn't this mean that you can hit only adjacent creatures with this attack? You could just make it a melee touch attack then; otherwise, you can give it a range increment of 10 feet so the elixir works in a similar way to holy water.

Creatures such as undead who are immune to effects requiring Fort saves which don't affect objects are still immune to the poison.

You could just say that creature without a constitution score are still immune to the poison.

Hypocritical Weapon

This is totally awesome, why didn't I thought of it before!

kinem
2014-07-15, 07:21 PM
Not bad. I like fiends and fiend-related things!!

:smallcool:

Why not just make it touch attack? Although I can see a (dwarven) exorcist beating the crap out of the poor victim in order to pull out the demon :D

It has to touch the creature. Armor blocks it, but natural armor is part of the creature.

You may want to specify what do you mean with 'spell or effect that is possessing him'. Does the elixir works against Dominate Person?

No, only against possession effects like magic jar, fiendish possession, or a ghost's malevolence ability, in which the possessing creature's 'soul' is in the victim's body.

I'm not sure, but doesn't this mean that you can hit only adjacent creatures with this attack? You could just make it a melee touch attack then; otherwise, you can give it a range increment of 10 feet so the elixir works in a similar way to holy water.

That's a fair point. I made it 10'.

You could just say that creature without a constitution score are still immune to the poison.

The way I said it is more homebrew-friendly in case anyone has a monster that has a Con score, yet is immune to anything requiring a Fort save unless it also works on objects.

On a not completely unrelated note, I do have such a homebrew monster :smallwink:

This is totally awesome, why didn't I thought of it before!

BTW, I know English isn't your native language (though you are doing quite well) so I'll mention that the phrase you want is "why didn't I think of it before". It's a little tricky :)

Hipster Dixit
2014-07-16, 01:54 AM
It has to touch the creature. Armor blocks it, but natural armor is part of the creature.

Yes, it makes sense. I said that because in the official D&D material everytime an effect needs to hit the skin of a creature (Inflict Wounds for example), it requires a touch attack, so you can touch the armor and... wound what lies below. Admittedly, it's a bit silly. I see your point here.

The way I said it is more homebrew-friendly in case anyone has a monster that has a Con score, yet is immune to anything requiring a Fort save unless it also works on objects.

I understand. No problem then.

BTW, I know English isn't your native language (though you are doing quite well) so I'll mention that the phrase you want is "why didn't I think of it before". It's a little tricky :)

Oh thank you. You're better teachers than those I had at school :D

Debihuman
2014-07-16, 07:17 PM
Rod of Exorcism technically only requires a Caster Level of 11 to create. The highest level spell is 6th level Cleric spell. Is there a particular reason you made it more difficult? Exorcism is from Fiendish Codex 1 (when you cite to non-core material it is helpful to cite to the book).

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.. Not sure why you made this more difficult. Exorcism is a first level. Caster Level 17 mean you need a Wisdom of 27. So the wisdom modifier would +8

To prepare or cast a spell, a cleric must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a cleric’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the cleric’s Wisdom modifier.

The DC for exorcism is 10 plus spell level 1 plus +8 wisdom modifier =19
The DC for banishment would be 10 plus spell level 6 plus + 8 wisdom modifier = 24.

Debby

kinem
2014-07-16, 11:15 PM
Rod of Exorcism technically only requires a Caster Level of 11 to create. The highest level spell is 6th level Cleric spell. Is there a particular reason you made it more difficult? Exorcism is from Fiendish Codex 1 (when you cite to non-core material it is helpful to cite to the book).

I want the SLAs to have a good chance to beat SR. Also ...

Caster Level 17 mean you need a Wisdom of 27. So the wisdom modifier would +8

No. There is no relationship between caster level and the associated ability score or DC.

There is however a relationship between spell level and the DC. The DC is (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#savingThrowsAgainstMagicItemPo wers) 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

The minimum ability score needed to cast a spell is 10 + spell level, for example, 16 for a 6th level spell, which has a modifier of +3.

In general, the DC = 10 + spell level + 1/2 spell level (rounded down).

From the fact that the DC for the rod's banishment is 20, we can see that it is the arcane version, or a heightened to 7th spell level clerical version.

The rod's exorcism DC is 23, so it is clearly heightened to be a 9th level spell, thus requiring the CL 17.

If you look closely you will also see that the effects are not exactly the same as those of the exorcism spell. The rod prevents it from possessing any host for 24 hours, not just the one it was expelled from.

Debihuman
2014-07-18, 10:46 AM
There is no relationship between caster level and the associated ability score or DC.

I stand corrected. I was confounding spell level with caster level.

Debby