PDA

View Full Version : OotS in the year 2020

SuperAwkward
2014-07-14, 08:22 PM
Based off the current update schedule (since the hiatus), we're at about 9.5 days/new strip.

Considering past number of online strips (197/NCftPB, 242/W&XP, 226/DStP...~221 average) that means we are about 2,000 days, or 5.5 years, off of a new book ([221 average strips - 10 completed strips]*9.5 days/strip) currently done, which means we should wrap up the current arc and book about somewhere in 2020.

What do you guys imagine you'll be doing in the year 2020?

martianmister
2014-07-14, 08:47 PM
I'll be dead.

Darth Paul
2014-07-14, 08:53 PM
Greeting my daughter's prom date.

With my shotgun. :belkar:

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-14, 10:19 PM
Based off the current update schedule (since the hiatus), we're at about 9.5 days/new strip.

Considering past number of online strips (197/NCftPB, 242/W&XP, 226/DStP...~221 average) that means we are about 2,000 days, or 5.5 years, off of a new book ([221 average strips - 10 completed strips]*9.5 days/strip) currently done, which means we should wrap up the current arc and book about somewhere in 2020.

What do you guys imagine you'll be doing in the year 2020?

I'm getting different numbers than you. First of all, I have the average number of online strips per book at 189, and I have the number of completed strips so far at 11. So, (189-11)*9.6= 1,708 days, or 4 years and 247 days, meaning it will be completed in the year 2019.

I mean, it's about equally far off, but I like to be precise.

Gift Jeraff
2014-07-14, 11:41 PM
Looking back at how I spent all those years on message boards.

TurtlesAWD
2014-07-15, 01:52 AM
Well, I suppose if Order of the Stick is running in 2020, then in 2020 I will be reading Order of the Stick :smallsmile:

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-15, 02:15 AM
Considering how entertaining I find the comic, I'd like to think I'll be reading OoTS in 2020.

Knowing my luck, I'll end up drowning in a swimming pool of Mountain Dew by 2017, though.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-15, 06:02 AM
Oh, yes, to answer the actual question I will be reading OOTS, and no doubt many other things.

Quild
2014-07-15, 06:59 AM
Eyh, that would make today closer for me from the end of oots than from the moment I started it.

Nooooooooooooooo :(

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-15, 01:51 PM
Eyh, that would make today closer for me from the end of oots than from the moment I started it.

Well, the actual end wouldn't be for an additional approximate 4 years after that; 2020 is just when the current book would finish. Although, I feel that chances are pretty good that the rate of strips will start to increase.

Tiiba
2014-07-15, 02:35 PM

Ian Starshine?

JBiddles
2014-07-15, 05:49 PM
I'll be dead.

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that.

Anyone have the cash for a True Resurrection?

As for the question, well, I'll be reading OotS.

Darth Paul
2014-07-15, 09:13 PM

Ian Starshine?

No, no; I just want to make sure he (or she) knows that there are... consequences... for any deliberate harm done to my little girl.

Of course, I'm raising her to be able to deal those consequences out on her own behalf, so my greeting would be purely a bonus.

Damn... maybe I am an avatar of Ian!

Lexible
2014-07-16, 12:42 AM

Oh no! Shades of Time Ghost (http://xkcd.com/1393/)!

Oneris
2014-07-16, 12:44 AM
Someone would have probably animated and voiced the first two books by then. Come to think of it, why hasn't anyone tried an animated version yet? Executive Veto by The Giant?

Mike Havran
2014-07-16, 04:21 AM
I will be participating in yet another discussion about how is Belkar going to die.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-16, 05:50 AM
Someone would have probably animated and voiced the first two books by then. Come to think of it, why hasn't anyone tried an animated version yet? Executive Veto by The Giant?

There's no official version, because any attempt at making a more professional animation would involve the Giant maintaining less control over the project than he would wish. There have been some fans who have done readings of the comics.

Cavenskull
2014-07-16, 02:51 PM
No, no; I just want to make sure he (or she) knows that there are... consequences... for any deliberate harm done to my little girl.

Of course, I'm raising her to be able to deal those consequences out on her own behalf, so my greeting would be purely a bonus.

Damn... maybe I am an avatar of Ian!

Of course, the other possibility is that you scare off the good ones, and the only people who will go out with your daughter are the types who have already dealt with worse--or dealt it out themselves. I wouldn't recommend the fear approach unless it's to deal with someone who is obviously trouble.

Sunken Valley
2014-07-16, 06:10 PM
Uploading my mind onto the website so I can find out what happens in event of my death.

evileeyore
2014-07-16, 10:25 PM
Well, I suppose if Order of the Stick is running in 2020, then in 2020 I will be reading Order of the Stick :smallsmile:
Ditto.

But hopefully* from the swank brain in a box lifestyle.

* But not actually likely. Seriously that's only 6 years away. Maybe by 2050 I'll have my brain in abox and be reading Order of the Stick 2: Order Stickier!

137beth
2014-07-16, 10:30 PM
Debating whether threads about the rate of OOTS updates are morally justified?:smalltongue:

If OOTS is still going, reading OOTS. Otherwise reading whatever the Giant does next.

Reddish Mage
2014-07-17, 12:41 AM
I hope to be collecting on the payoffs on a substantial bet about how Belkar will get killed and how the party will react to it.

Darth Paul
2014-07-17, 01:00 AM
Of course, the other possibility is that you scare off the good ones, and the only people who will go out with your daughter are the types who have already dealt with worse--or dealt it out themselves. I wouldn't recommend the fear approach unless it's to deal with someone who is obviously trouble.

I wouldn't worry too much. The possibility of me actually brandishing a firearm at a teenager is much lower than the chances that I was making something up for this page. Tempting though it will no doubt be.

Puppeteer
2014-07-17, 02:05 AM
I might be busy reading the new A Song of Ice and Fire's sequel in 2020.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-17, 05:54 AM
I might be busy reading the new A Song of Ice and Fire's sequel in 2020.

That was a good one. :smallwink:

I'll probably will be too.

Umberhulk
2014-07-17, 09:08 PM
My money says you will NOT be reading A Song of Fire and Ice, because I predict that in lieu of a another book, Martin will have already released bound collections of ten screenplays in 2017 and 2018.

Terrador
2014-07-17, 10:08 PM
Absolutely seconded, with a large dose of "you could almost certainly get arrested for greeting a well-meaning acquaintance with a loaded shotgun".

Tova
2014-07-18, 01:47 AM
I'll be re-reading the books in an attempt to remind myself of the long-forgotten plot.

Maybe.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-18, 05:40 AM
I'll be re-reading the books in an attempt to remind myself of the long-forgotten plot.

Maybe.

By 2020, I'll probably be re-re-re-re-re-reading the books.

Kish
2014-07-18, 01:25 PM
Absolutely seconded, with a large dose of "you could almost certainly get arrested for greeting a well-meaning acquaintance with a loaded shotgun".
Or seriously piss off your daughter by menacing someone she cares about with a shotgun, even if you don't do anything legally actionable.

(Not actually a joke; I heard--from the daughter in question--a story about a father "casually" cleaning his gun while talking to a boy his daughter was about to go on a date with. He was the only person in the room who thought it was funny, she felt obligated to apologize to her date, and both of them were too freaked out to enjoy the date.)

137beth
2014-07-18, 02:06 PM
Or seriously piss off your daughter by menacing someone she cares about with a shotgun, even if you don't do anything legally actionable.

(Not actually a joke; I heard--from the daughter in question--a story about a father "casually" cleaning his gun while talking to a boy his daughter was about to go on a date with. He was the only person in the room who thought it was funny, she felt obligated to apologize to her date, and both of them were too freaked out to enjoy the date.)

Wow...harsh:smalleek:

Roland St. Jude
2014-07-18, 02:10 PM
Sheriff: Update schedule/"rate of strips" is an inappropriate topic here, regardless of the civility or context of the discussion. Please review the Forum Rules and give this (and the other inappropriate topics listed) a wide berth.