PDA

View Full Version : Is Wings of Cover OP?

Hazrond
2014-07-14, 09:17 PM
Wings of Cover (RotD pg. 119) specifically states it breaks line of effect and is cast in response to something you want to block (with an immediate action), so for a 2nd level spell slot you get effective immunity to whatever that spell you NEED to not work that your enemy cast, am i incorrect? Without line of effect enemy spellcasters cant cast most spells against you can they? :smalltongue:

Giddonihah
2014-07-14, 09:23 PM
Its really really strong. The thing that keeps it inline is that its Sorcerer only, one of the few spells that are. Still it is probably one of if not the strongest lvl2 spell.

AmberVael
2014-07-14, 09:30 PM
It's a really nice defense, but there are a few things that prevent it from being overpowered.

First, its an immediate action. You can really only pull this off once a round.
Second, it only responds to a single action. It doesn't last a round- its very, very short lived. It'll only protect you once.
Third, it uses up a spell slot to do it.
Fourth, it isn't all encompassing. There are attacks that can get around it anyway.

So it is a powerful, but not all encompassing defense that is one shot in many ways- you can only do it once in a round, it only protects against one attack in that round, and it uses up spell slots every time you do it. Using it frequently will drain your spell slots faster than you'd think, and in any case, won't protect you completely. It's amazing to have, but no, I don't think it is overpowered.

Hazrond
2014-07-14, 09:32 PM
It's a really nice defense, but there are a few things that prevent it from being overpowered.

First, its an immediate action. You can really only pull this off once a round.
Second, it only responds to a single action. It doesn't last a round- its very, very short lived. It'll only protect you once.
Third, it uses up a spell slot to do it.
Fourth, it isn't all encompassing. There are attacks that can get around it anyway.

So it is a powerful, but not all encompassing defense that is one shot in many ways- you can only do it once in a round, it only protects against one attack in that round, and it uses up spell slots every time you do it. Using it frequently will drain your spell slots faster than you'd think, and in any case, won't protect you completely. It's amazing to have, but no, I don't think it is overpowered.

The reason is ask is because for the cost of a 2nd level spell slot you could block just about ANY spell mister godwizard over there tried to throw at you, and still have a standard action to spare

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 09:35 PM
The reason is ask is because for the cost of a 2nd level spell slot you could block just about ANY spell mister godwizard over there tried to throw at you, and still have a standard action to spare

If a god wizard wants you dead he's gonna throw a hellova lot more than just one spell at you per round.

You'll probably be forcecaged on a hostile plane surrounded by summoned monsters on the turn that you roll initiative.

Curmudgeon
2014-07-14, 09:38 PM
It's way more powerful than is suitable for 2nd level. 4th would probably be about right.

Hazrond
2014-07-14, 09:40 PM
It's way more powerful than is suitable for 2nd level. 4th would probably be about right.

Im a player so i am totally fine with this :smallbiggrin:

Hazrond
2014-07-14, 09:41 PM
If a god wizard wants you dead he's gonna throw a hellova lot more than just one spell at you per round.

You'll probably be forcecaged on a hostile plane surrounded by summoned monsters on the turn that you roll initiative.

OR i could just block the planeshift in the first place with Wings of Cover :smallwink:

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 09:46 PM
OR i could just block the planeshift in the first place with Wings of Cover :smallwink:

not if he wizard casts 3 or 4 plane shifts in one turn

Hazrond
2014-07-14, 09:47 PM
not if he wizard casts 3 or 4 plane shifts in one turn

Well then he doesnt have the actions left to forcecage and summon monsters :smalltongue:

Rubik
2014-07-14, 09:49 PM
A tinfoil hat has it beat by a long way, but that has to be prepped ahead of time, virtually requires a familiar to ensure that it works properly (so, there's always a chance of major FUBAR should things go really wrong), and also requires a 3rd level spell (Shrink Item). In return, it works against anything that doesn't destroy the hat, has a much longer duration (Permatantaneous, since using "Instantaneous" for both "this instant" and "always and forever" is a stupid way to go about doing things), auto-works against AMFs, and only requires a readied action from a familiar (or possibly a free action syllable or two from the caster, since spells don't use the same "command word" activation time as a magic item would).

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 09:49 PM
Well then he doesnt have the actions left to forcecage and summon monsters :smalltongue:

yes he does

by 11th level a wizard gets to take essentially as many actions as he wants

Hazrond
2014-07-14, 10:08 PM
A tinfoil hat has it beat by a long way, but that has to be prepped ahead of time, virtually requires a familiar to ensure that it works properly (so, there's always a chance of major FUBAR should things go really wrong), and also requires a 3rd level spell (Shrink Item). In return, it works against anything that doesn't destroy the hat, has a much longer duration (Permatantaneous, since using "Instantaneous" for both "this instant" and "always and forever" is a stupid way to go about doing things), auto-works against AMFs, and only requires a readied action from a familiar (or possibly a free action syllable or two from the caster, since spells don't use the same "command word" activation time as a magic item would).

Sorry im not extremely versed in various builds and such, what is the tinfoil hat? i assume it is not literal :smalltongue:

Rubik
2014-07-14, 10:13 PM
Sorry im not extremely versed in various builds and such, what is the tinfoil hat? i assume it is not literal :smalltongue:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17154788&postcount=24

Might as well be literal, actually. Though more "adamantine foil" than "tinfoil."

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 10:14 PM
Sorry im not extremely versed in various builds and such, what is the tinfoil hat? i assume it is not literal :smalltongue:

The tinfoil hat is a setup a wizard can concoct in which they cast shrink item on a giant lead cone then sews the lead cone into their pointy wizard hat. As soon as a AMF overlaps the wizard his "tinfoil hat" unshrinks and covers him. Now the spell no longer has line of effect to the wizard. The wizard then teleports to his hyper-fast demiplane and prepares the perfect spells to quash his enemy. He astral projects to him then vaporizes the problem.

EDIT: I think the best part of the tinfoil hat is that it explains why wizards all where pointy hats: they're the right shape to hold a shrunken metal cone.

Hazrond
2014-07-14, 10:16 PM
The tinfoil hat is a setup a wizard can concoct in which they cast shrink item on a giant lead cone then sews the lead cone into their pointy wizard hat. As soon as a AMF overlaps the wizard his "tinfoil hat" unshrinks and covers him. Now the spell no longer has line of effect to the wizard. The wizard then teleports to his hyper-fast demiplane and prepares the perfect spells to quash his enemy. He astral projects to him then vaporizes the problem.

EDIT: I think the best part of the tinfoil hat is that it explains why wizards all where pointy hats: they're the right shape to hold a shrunken metal cone.

Would the astral projection not be messed up by an antimagic field in a way similar to summons? :smallconfused:

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-14, 10:19 PM
Would the astral projection not be messed up by an antimagic field in a way similar to summons? :smallconfused:

when you astral project back in you don't do so close enough to the person casting the AMF to be effected by it. Remember, they have very small areas.