PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Making an Anti-Hero

RandomlyInspire
2014-07-15, 12:27 AM
I will soon be DMing a campaign that I've designed. I have the backbone completely structured and mostly the first half finished. Though, I have run into a bit of a... well, wall. I'll explain the story line in general so I don't sound like the drunk guy on the corner of the street playing Mad Libs.

The campaign is based around the disappearance of dragons from the material plane, the process has been an undergoing of around 400 years, which I added a dynamic that sorcerers and wizards were also a rarity since their arcane energy is reminiscent of dragons(If I'm wrong on that I'd be more than happy to be more enlightened on it). The party starts by having a horrific nightmare that leaves an imprint on their souls, drawing them all together in a small hamlet in the middle of bum-skit nowhere. Cue level one quests, funny scenes, introductions, until they all feel that the tug on their soul actually draws them to a cave a small ways off. As they enter they receive further visions, but this time its of the main antagonist, a dragonfire adept who has (somehow) achieved immortality and has been exacting revenge by killing all dragons in existence to make the world a safer place (Genocide, anyone? It's cherry flavored!). They meet the last living dragon who gives them a book (Key item of the campaign) before meeting his end at the same antagonist. What none, but dragons, realized is that the dragons very presence in the material plane kept it safe in a "magical envelope" of sorts, keeping back the horrors of the abyss. So, with no dragons, the material plane is slowly invaded by an army of aberrations lead by the all time abyssal favorite, Mind Flayers.

I have a scenario planned out in which while delving in a hostile Drow encampment, the party comes across an imprisoned mind flayer who looks shockingly different from others starting with the fact he's rather physically endowed, bodybuilder style. The Mind Flayer promises them that he shall aid them in their quest for as long as he sees fit if they free him. I planned for him to be a major tool as he'd provide back story to the Abyssal invasion, as well as a nice dynamic for tensions seeing as I have two Lawful Good players (Monk And Paladin). The Mind Flayer, we'll call him "Retribution" is actually a traitor to his kind, believing they have become weak, hiding behind their minions and monsters and so he's abandoned them. My other use for him is after he leaves the party is he's kinda my mop up tool in case I goof up and have the moment of "Oh crap this Manticore's going to wipe out the party" which I can have him appear and save them without it being too ridiculous. So the help I need, is his build. I intended to use the Monster Manual template for Mind Flayer Characters. I won't pretend I'm some veteran DM, this is actually my first campaign I've even considered level adjustments as they always seem like a headache. I understand Unearthed Arcana has some sort of system where characters can "buy off" level adjustments, so if someone could help me out in these few things, I'd be really appreciative. I want to make this mind flayer powerful, but trying to avoid epic level "This character may as well be a bleedin' GOD". If anyone has class suggestions to fit what I need and make sense role play-wise, or perhaps even a ECL with level adjustment buy offs done in it'd be amazing.

Also the player's are generally new, so I'm not too worried about much else other than what I've recently learned to be called "CoDzillas" but I'm sure I can subliminally drop the desire to multi-class

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-15, 12:37 AM
With new players, CoDzilla shouldn't be a problem, unless one of them is a natural at Op-fu.

The justification for sorcerers and wizards being rare should be fine. It's your campaign. If the group doesn't mind, you're good.

On the off-chance that a player ranks Knowledge: Arcana to the moon, I'd work on an explanation for the 'magical dragon envelope.'

Mind-flayers aren't something I'm good at customizing, so I can't help much there, other than the obvious, but IIRC, your first LA buyoff is at LV=LAx3, which would be epic level just to reduce LA by 1, which would pretty much make that a no-go.

WeaselGuy
2014-07-15, 07:41 AM
Savage Species has a chart for taking a Mind Flayer up from level 1-15, giving it it's race abilities as it goes... You get feats by HD, same as any other character, and can assign your own ability scores, so if you want it to be a sword wielding melee guy just take the basic martial feats as needed. Once he reaches 15 HD, he'll probably be in a good enough spot between racial abilities and your feats to dive straight into a prestige class (Elocator comes to mind).