PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Pre-selecting equipment for PCs of unknown class or race

Jeff the Green
2014-07-15, 02:25 AM
So I'm running a one-shot for one casual veteran, one person who hasn't played very much, and three complete novices. Because I don't want to have them create characters above level one without understanding how their characters work, we'll be starting at level 1 and because I hate DMing at that lethal level 1-2 range, we'll spend a single short combat at each of those levels. This presents me with a conundrum: getting them magic gear.

In-game, their employer (whom they're body-guarding on a trip) will, after seeing them in action and realizing that none of them have magic swords, stop and buy them basic items at the first stop and upgrade at the next. Out-of-game, I'll be choosing it. The problem is that I only know for sure exactly what one of them (the veteran) will be playing (a bard). So I need to come up with four sets of gear not knowing what PCs will be using them.

So... do I just need to draw one or two up for each class (thankfully, not as big an undertaking as it could be since I'm limiting it to core non-full casters) and just leave the exact weapon blank? Or is there another way I'm not thinking of?

Coidzor
2014-07-15, 02:46 AM
Could do it based upon the type? Tanky vs. Sneaky vs. Beatsticky vs. Archery vs. ??? and then tweak to fit?

lytokk
2014-07-15, 12:06 PM
Could you just wait until after the initial combat you have scheduled and see how the characters play before figuring out what to give them?

Red Fel
2014-07-15, 12:15 PM
Could you just wait until after the initial combat you have scheduled and see how the characters play before figuring out what to give them?

This. After all, the NPC is going to buy them upgrades; he's probably going to get them things based on what he's seen them do. (It's not like they wear nametags showing their class and feat selections.) So see them in action first, and upgrade accordingly.

Secondly, I think drawing up a couple of possibilities for each isn't a terrible idea. Stat out a couple of magic knives, magic longswords and/or greatswords, a magic bow, etc. You don't need to go a total Noah's Ark mode, but have a couple of light weapons, two-handed weapons, and so forth, already prepped and just pick the most appropriate ones.

Vaz
2014-07-15, 12:23 PM
Belt of battle. Wand lesser Vigor (encourage the veteran to take a dip in cloistered cleric or UMD with Cha focus to help out). Anklets of Translocation. Rod of Heighten Spell.

+1 weapons are all they'll really be able to 'afford'.

Trasilor
2014-07-15, 12:55 PM
So I'm running a one-shot for one casual veteran, one person who hasn't played very much, and three complete novices. Because I don't want to have them create characters above level one without understanding how their characters work, we'll be starting at level 1 and because I hate DMing at that lethal level 1-2 range, we'll spend a single short combat at each of those levels. This presents me with a conundrum: getting them magic gear.

In-game, their employer (whom they're body-guarding on a trip) will, after seeing them in action and realizing that none of them have magic swords, stop and buy them basic items at the first stop and upgrade at the next. Out-of-game, I'll be choosing it. The problem is that I only know for sure exactly what one of them (the veteran) will be playing (a bard). So I need to come up with four sets of gear not knowing what PCs will be using them.

So... do I just need to draw one or two up for each class (thankfully, not as big an undertaking as it could be since I'm limiting it to core non-full casters) and just leave the exact weapon blank? Or is there another way I'm not thinking of?

First of all, level one is lethal for all combatants. PCs as well as enemies are likely to fall with a single hit.

I think giving the PCs a magical item is a bit overboard. At level one, masterwork works as well as a solid understanding of the game mechanics. Aid another (the +2 bonus to give your friend) is very potent at this level. Explain how it works and hope players get the idea. Giving your players a magical item seams a bit "meh".

Other Options:

Magical Gear:
Have the item be an 'inherited' item. Something keyed to their backstory: Grandfather's sword, Mother's magical pendant etc. The abilities of the item are whatever you want them to be (i.e. these items are not Generic Magic Sword +1 or Pearl of Power 1st level). Go beyond the books :smallamused:

Starting At Level 1
Instead of level 1, how about level 3 - sort of. Players have the BAB, HP and saves of a third level character but the special abilities/feats/skills/spells of a level 1 character. Explain to your players the situation that levels 1-3 will progress quickly so you get used to your abilities. As they 'level' they get their abilities of the next level (except for BAB, HP and Saves until level 4). This adds survivability and allows players to learn their characters from level 1.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-15, 01:02 PM
Um... they're not getting magic items until level 2 and they're spending one encounter at level 1, and it shouldn't be too lethal: it's a pair of elf assassins (not Assassins) throwing shurikens with Dex poison. Plus they have a Healer to keep them up.

As for doing it on the fly, I'd rather avoid it. My knowledge of magic items isn't stellar, and since it's a one-shot I would really prefer not to take time out. I mean, I can sub out a few things, but I at least need a few templates.

lytokk
2014-07-15, 01:13 PM
Um... they're not getting magic items until level 2 and they're spending one encounter at level 1, and it shouldn't be too lethal: it's a pair of elf assassins (not Assassins) throwing shurikens with Dex poison. Plus they have a Healer to keep them up.

As for doing it on the fly, I'd rather avoid it. My knowledge of magic items isn't stellar, and since it's a one-shot I would really prefer not to take time out. I mean, I can sub out a few things, but I at least need a few templates.

If thats the case, in terms of magic weapons or armors, all that would be close to level appropriate would be a simple +1 weapon, even that alone would be double the WBL, if memory serves. If you want to go to a +2 weapon, just do it the lazy way and go with +1 Flaming/Shock/Frost/Acidic/Sonic or whatever. I don't know how you run your games, but I usually don't go with anything more than a +1 weapon until level 4, unless the random treasure generators start to love my party.

DeAnno
2014-07-15, 02:57 PM
Everyone loves a +1 Cloak/Vest of Resistance.

Giddonihah
2014-07-15, 03:05 PM
Give them all a belt of Healing. Except if theirs someone with a divine spell list, give them a wand of cure light wounds instead. It will help them more than any +1 weapon in these early levels.