PDA

View Full Version : RAW loophole in Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability?

Segev
2014-07-15, 08:31 AM
So, in another thread, I just pointed this spell (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/imbue-familiar-with-spell-ability--580/) out to somebody who was asking about manifester levels, psicrystals, and sorcerers. Then I read it again, and noticed something:

Once you cast imbue familiar with spell ability on your familiar, both the spell slot from which you cast the spell and the spell slots of the transferred spells remain unavailable for the preparation or casting of new spells until the familiar uses the transferred spells or imbue familiar with spell ability expires.

The spell can be dispelled; if this spell fails, the spells transferred are lost as if the familiar had cast them. In an antimagic field, the familiar loses the ability to cast the imbued spells, but regains it again if it leaves the field (so long as the spell's duration hasn't expired).

Now, the first sentence of the second paragraph implies that the spells are "lost" when the familiar casts them, but the bolded sentence technically states that the spell (slots) are only unavailable to the wizard (or sorcerer) until the familiar casts the imbued spells.

Am I missing something? I mean, yes, I'm pretty sure RAI is that the spell slots are gone until you rest up, but do the RAW really have a loophole that lets you imbue your familiar with spells, have him cast them, then have the slots available for casting/preparation when the familiar is done with them?

Vaster
2014-07-15, 09:08 AM
If by whatever shenanigans you could manage to make the spell last more than 24h you wouldn't recover your spell slot even if you rest.
This is how I understand the bold sentence.

It doesn't say you recover a usable spell slot (even in a case of an sorcerer).

Segev
2014-07-15, 09:12 AM
It doesn't say a sorcerer recovers a "usable" spell slot when he rests for 8 hours, either. Just that he recovers his spell slots. I don't think that's a useful reading, even for enforcing RAI. I do agree, your reading of intent being that it is meant to keep you from extending the spell to >1 day and having spells "stored," but I'm not seeing the RAW enforce that. I am open to actual demonstration that the sentence does not permit you to cast from those slots once the familiar is done with them, though.

Vaster
2014-07-15, 09:22 AM
If you look a the "Recent casting limit" rule which says that when you ready your slot for the day each spell cast in the last 8 hour count in the sorcerer/bard daily limit.
You could see this as : if a sorcerer has 3 slot 3rd level, he casts a fireball during the night, the morning he will have 2 slot free and 1 "used".

I understand the ieda of a loophole, and a lawyer could probably win in court; but too much cheese kills the cheese...
It will be in the hand of the Judge/DM at the end.

Miss Disaster
2014-07-15, 09:31 AM
I agree with the others regarding the ruling.

The spell has some otherinteresting legality issues as well. Such as when the Familiar casts a spell via IFwSA and:

1. That spell is Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer.

2. The Familiar recaptures the recently cast spell via a Pearl of Power.

... etc. and so on.

Segev
2014-07-15, 10:16 AM
Hm, true. Technically, the familiar using a Pearl of Power would recover the spell for himself, but the wizard would still have it available the next time he rests.

Still, that requires making the spell last for more than a day, which is...tricky.

Miss Disaster
2014-07-15, 02:10 PM
Hm, true. Technically, the familiar using a Pearl of Power would recover the spell for himself, but the wizard would still have it available the next time he rests.

Still, that requires making the spell last for more than a day, which is...tricky.

To add to my prior post ... also consider adding the Echoing Spell metamagic (+3) to a spell granted to the Familiar via IFwSA. This metamagic feat is in the Secrets of Xendrik (Eberron) book. I believe Pathfinder has its own variation of the feat with some mechanical differences. A custom-made Echoing Spell metamagic rod is also possible for the Familiar (or you) to use - albeit at a sizable cost.

The end result is a Familiar who can cast a heck of a lot more spells via echo-created spell slots.