PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Anything scary about full progression PrCing for Gifted Blade?

squiggit
2014-07-15, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Psionics cautions against allowing a Gifted Blade to advance both manifesting and blade enhancement with PrCs unless you're playing in a specific sort of campaign, but I'm a bit skeptical both as a player and a DM about it being particularly scary and I feel like it just makes PrCing with one a nonoption more than anything else. Any thoughts on how this works out?

IAmTehDave
2014-07-15, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Psionics cautions against allowing a Gifted Blade to advance both manifesting and blade enhancement with PrCs unless you're playing in a specific sort of campaign, but I'm a bit skeptical both as a player and a DM about it being particularly scary and I feel like it just makes PrCing with one a nonoption more than anything else. Any thoughts on how this works out?

Losing out on Blade Skills is probably going to hurt a Soulknife anyway. I never read that wording myself, and I wouldn't follow it. PF Soulknife isn't such a high-power class that letting a PrC advance its manifesting and mind blade seems scary. Besides, most manifesting PrCs lose several manifesting levels anyway. So you're losing out on manifesting levels AND blade skills, for maybe the Elocator class. (Which, if it weren't for the prereqs, I'd be all over as a Gifted Blade) Any other psionic PrC (at least on the PFSRD is more about the manifesting, which becomes a bite into your BaB.

Looking back over this post, there are so many initialisms here...

Psyren
2014-07-15, 12:15 PM
"Cautions against" is a bit strong. All it actually says is that you shouldn't progress both if it's not a high psionics campaign. Therefore, if it is, you can feel free to do so.

Kantolin
2014-07-15, 12:25 PM
Mechanically, from my (extremely limited) personal experience with gifted blades, it's not a big deal at all to let prestige classes progress gifted blade manifesting.

You have to be a little more cautious if you allow the high psionics option of having prestige classes progress most other class's casting along with soulknife (Say, a Soulknife/psion). This won't shatter the world open or anything, but it is a notable increase in potency, so be aware that if you're a lower-optimization group that will bump things up a bit.

Still, it's certainly not scary per se. :P

squiggit
2014-07-15, 02:30 PM
"Cautions against" is a bit strong. All it actually says is that you shouldn't progress both if it's not a high psionics campaign. Therefore, if it is, you can feel free to do so.

Probably worded badly on my end, yes. But the book does say unless you're running that sort or campaign you shouldn't and I was just wondering if there was any reason why or something I look out for if I let the gifted blade in my campaign PrC out.

for maybe the Elocator class. (Which, if it weren't for the prereqs, I'd be all over as a Gifted Blade) Any other psionic PrC (at least on the PFSRD is more about the manifesting, which becomes a bite into your BaB.
There's also dark tempest, 3/4ths BAB 10/10 progression soul knife PrC does that, but it explicitly advanced both.

She was mostly looking at doing something along the lines of soul knife 5/elocator 4 or 10. But yeah, those prereqs suck.