PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ethereal Juanting?

Necroticplague
2014-07-15, 12:02 PM
As I was looking through Monster books for something to use with Tauric, I came across an interesting monster: The ethereal marauderer. While pretty mediocre i its own right, it has a useful ability to slip between the Ethereal and Material constantly. The ability sound like it would be an interesting set up for a rogue-type character, who can move, materialize, attack, and disappear again every round. I come to the playground to ask if their's some way to gain this ability on a PC. I've considered a few ways, but all of them need a high ECL, and I was wondering if their was an easier way.

These are my current ways:

1.Take half-goristro to become Huge. Then, take Symbiotic, with an Ethereal Filcher as a guest. LA+5.
2.Tauric Phase Spider. 8RHD, 2 LA.

lytokk
2014-07-15, 01:02 PM
A less powerful (optimized) version of this would be the Ninja. Ready built method of going invisibile and at level 10 going ethereal. But this would more than likely be the least optimized way of doing this.

Kazudo
2014-07-15, 01:28 PM
Teleportation is one thing, you could actually get invisibility at will for 1 LA by taking Half-Ogre out of Savage Species, running it through Sandform Creature/Incarnate Construct, then giving it Primordial Giant.

Zombulian
2014-07-15, 01:29 PM
As I was looking through Monster books for something to use with Tauric, I came across an interesting monster: The ethereal marauderer. While pretty mediocre i its own right, it has a useful ability to slip between the Ethereal and Material constantly. The ability sound like it would be an interesting set up for a rogue-type character, who can move, materialize, attack, and disappear again every round. I come to the playground to ask if their's some way to gain this ability on a PC. I've considered a few ways, but all of them need a high ECL, and I was wondering if their was an easier way.

These are my current ways:

1.Take half-goristro to become Huge. Then, take Symbiotic, with an Ethereal Filcher as a guest. LA+5.
2.Tauric Phase Spider. 8RHD, 2 LA.

There's a Totemist Soulmeld called Phase Cloak that when bound to your Shoulder Chakra makes it so you turn ethereal every time you use a move action and move at least 5ft. Pair that up with Hustle or something else that grants move actions and you can do what you described.

Necroticplague
2014-07-15, 04:08 PM
There's a Totemist Soulmeld called Phase Cloak that when bound to your Shoulder Chakra makes it so you turn ethereal every time you use a move action and move at least 5ft. Pair that up with Hustle or something else that grants move actions and you can do what you described. Pretty good, and I did consider it, but that has to wait until level 9, and doesn't protect me when its not my turn.

Teleportation is one thing, you could actually get invisibility at will for 1 LA by taking Half-Ogre out of Savage Species, running it through Sandform Creature/Incarnate Construct, then giving it Primordial Giant.Yeah, but that runs into action economy problems, where attacking would use up the action needed to turn invisible again, as well as breaking invisibility.

A less powerful (optimized) version of this would be the Ninja. Ready built method of going invisibile and at level 10 going ethereal. But this would more than likely be the least optimized way of doing this.

Yeah, you're right on that ast part. Same ECl as tauric phase spider, but not at will, and requires being a ninja.

Zombulian
2014-07-15, 04:10 PM
Teleportation is one thing, you could actually get invisibility at will for 1 LA by taking Half-Ogre out of Savage Species, running it through Sandform Creature/Incarnate Construct, then giving it Primordial Giant.

For considerably less cheese I would recommend using Half-Giant and Primordial Giant on top of that, since it's an inherited template, it probably wouldn't work with IC anyway.