PDA

View Full Version : PC Stat-blocks for GMs

ArcanistSupreme
2014-07-15, 01:58 PM
I'm looking to make a crib sheet with character information so I can stop asking, "Hey, no reason, but what's your perception modifier?" I want to have a solid overview of each character without just using copies of character sheets.

What is the most important information? (HP, saves, Perception, AC/touch AC/flat-footed AC, CMD, and...?

SweaterKittens
2014-07-15, 02:58 PM
I would think that much of that would depend on what kind of campaign you're running and what kind of things your PC's are likely to run into. However, for a blanket 'cheat sheet', I would say:

- HP
- AC (Flat-footed and Touch as well)
- CMD/CMB
- Darkvision/Low-light/Super-senses
- Perception
- Any other skills that you will want to reference often due to the setting of your campaign

That seems like it would cover most of your bases. As I said before, other things that you need to reference due to your campaign (e.g., Alignment, Ability scores, etc) you may want to put on there.

Others:
- Speed?
- Saves?
- Languages Spoken? (could be handy if you're in a varied setting with lots of non-common speakers)

Hope that helps!

atemu1234
2014-07-15, 03:08 PM
I prefer to just have a copy of all the character sheets. It's simpler, easier and, once you get used to it, simpler than simply memorizing their stats.

gc25774
2014-07-15, 03:09 PM
Name/ Race-Class/ Level- Hp,AC/touch,flatfooted,Spd/Inti,BaB/Grapple (Fort Save/Reflex Save/Will Save)
(+0 weapon ?d?+?) (str/dex/con/int/wis/cha)
feats/spells/Notable things

Bob/ Human Fighter/Lv 1- Hp 10 Ac 14(10)(14) Spd 30/+0 BaB +1/+1 (+2/+0/+0)
(+3 Masterwork Longsword 1d8+1) (10/10/10/10/10/10)
feats
-Power Attack
-Weapon Focus (longsword)

Hope this helps.

BWR
2014-07-15, 03:21 PM
You don't need much.
Perception, Sense Motive and Will saves are all you need, really. Possibly Fortitude saves if you want them to contract diseases etc. in secret.
Perception mostly because it makes planning encoutners easier (I can roll all relevant rolls ahead of time and plan based on that). Sense Motive to tell whether or not they suspect some NPC is hiding something. Will ST on the off chance they are subjected to some mind-altering effect that can significantly impact the story. Fortitude ST in case they have omse nasty illness that you need to track, like ear seekers or something.

Anything else: Reflex saves - how do you not notice you intentionally dodged something?
AC, hp, CMB/CMD - people will immediately notice these once they are targeted, so there is no reason to keep things secret.
The only possible exception would be keeping track of hp once they drop below 0 so the palyers have no idea how close someone is to death.

Personally, I only keep track of Perception and Sense Motive, and most times I won't even bother keeping such things secret because I can trust my players not to metagame.

ArcanistSupreme
2014-07-15, 03:45 PM
I prefer to just have a copy of all the character sheets. It's simpler, easier and, once you get used to it, simpler than simply memorizing their stats.

Unfortunately, table space is usually at a premium. I've already got a lot of notes that I have to cross-reference, and I want to keep it all on one 8.5" x 11" sheet if possible.

You don't need much.
Perception, Sense Motive and Will saves are all you need, really. Possibly Fortitude saves if you want them to contract diseases etc. in secret.
Perception mostly because it makes planning encoutners easier (I can roll all relevant rolls ahead of time and plan based on that). Sense Motive to tell whether or not they suspect some NPC is hiding something. Will ST on the off chance they are subjected to some mind-altering effect that can significantly impact the story. Fortitude ST in case they have omse nasty illness that you need to track, like ear seekers or something.

Anything else: Reflex saves - how do you not notice you intentionally dodged something?
AC, hp, CMB/CMD - people will immediately notice these once they are targeted, so there is no reason to keep things secret.
The only possible exception would be keeping track of hp once they drop below 0 so the palyers have no idea how close someone is to death.

Personally, I only keep track of Perception and Sense Motive, and most times I won't even bother keeping such things secret because I can trust my players not to metagame.

Rolling Perception beforehand...I think I like that a lot. I can usually adjust the story on the fly, but I'm worse at improvising combat situations. And of course, I can still make d20 rolls behind the screen for no reason. :smallbiggrin:

Sense motive I never thought of. It really makes sense to roll that out in secret and only when relevant doesn't it? As to not needing other stuff, I like to have it on hand. I like to be able to describe the action as it happens rather than waiting on them to tell me their AC.

I think I've settled on the following:
Character
Gender AL Race Class , Level
Perception + , Sense Motive +
HP / , Init + , Speed
AC , Touch , Flat-footed , CMD
Fort + , Will + , BAB +
Melee
Ranged

Abilities
Str , Dex , Con
Int , Wis , Cha