PDA

View Full Version : Faerun Dieties

TrexPushups
2014-07-15, 03:03 PM
Looking for a deity that is a good fit for a holy order devoted to keeping extra planar entities/invaders from opening gates onto the plane.

Planning on running a couple of characters who while they agree with the order and are devout but just aren't capable of keeping a paladin's strict oath. Not evil but they just can't resist the temptation to use lies and trickery to defend the gates/ defeat those who would open them.

pwykersotz
2014-07-15, 04:08 PM
I'm not super up to date on Faerunian deities, but based on what you want, Amaunator (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Amaunator) might be a good fit.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-07-15, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure what it's current status is (as I didn't read 4e Realms) but the Order of the Cerulean Sign is pretty much this exactly. It's a small order, dedicated to keep the Far Realm (and aberrations) far away and under controlexterminated.

TrexPushups
2014-07-15, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure what it's current status is (as I didn't read 4e Realms) but the Order of the Cerulean Sign is pretty much this exactly. It's a small order, dedicated to keep the Far Realm (and aberrations) far away and under controlexterminated.

That sounds perfect! One of my long term goals is to use money/ influence to build up a anti-cult spy network/militia as a sister org for those who can't or won't walk the righteous path of the Paladin but could still help. Even a observant barkeeps have a role to play in keeping the darkness at bay.

Excession
2014-07-16, 02:43 AM
Helm (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Helm) could work. You would have to ignore the bit where he died; I tend to.

He's not good, only neutral, and has previously had the role of celestial doorman.

TheOOB
2014-07-16, 02:46 AM
Helm (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Helm) could work. You would have to ignore the bit where he died; I tend to.

He's not good, only neutral, and has previously had the role of celestial doorman.

Doesn't Helm attract far more good clerics than evil?

Excession
2014-07-16, 02:56 AM
Doesn't Helm attract far more good clerics than evil?

The OP did ask for "not evil" while also not full paladin, so I think Helm's brand of lawful neutral is about right. Maybe a little bit too lawful if anything.

TrexPushups
2014-07-16, 09:32 AM
I am OP. To clarify I am looking for a deity that would have an order of paladins.

So lawful good is a huge plus. The concept is characters that just couldn't say the vows for some reason. Like a prospective nun that leaves he nunnery at the last moment before saying her vows.

Yuki Akuma
2014-07-16, 10:12 AM
Paladins can be any alignment in 5e.

Helm is totally allowed to have an order of specifically Lawful Good Paladins, however, as they're within one step of his alignment. Hell, Selune (Chaotic Good) has one.

Envyus
2014-07-16, 01:22 PM
Helm is alive again as well.

Sartharina
2014-07-16, 01:31 PM
When I played the Icewind Dale series, all my Paladins were Guardians of Helm.

Excession
2014-07-16, 02:19 PM
Helm is alive again as well.

You can't keep a good deity down!

Helm has plenty of paladins. He also has other followers, presumably because sometimes upholding the law requires doing things a LG paladin can't do.

FR bent the rules on paladins rather often. Sūne (CG) had paladins because she thought they were romantic.

Inevitability
2014-07-16, 02:46 PM
FR bent the rules on paladins rather often. Sūne (CG) had paladins because she thought they were romantic.

How is that 'bending the rules'? Paladins can easily be servants of a CG deity, they just have to be LG themselves. Heck, you can even have a paladin of Vecna, who doesn't fall because the Code says nothing about having to respect your deity.

Or Sune's paladins are all pallies of freedom.

Yuki Akuma
2014-07-16, 04:07 PM
How is that 'bending the rules'? Paladins can easily be servants of a CG deity, they just have to be LG themselves. Heck, you can even have a paladin of Vecna, who doesn't fall because the Code says nothing about having to respect your deity.

Or Sune's paladins are all pallies of freedom.

In the Forgotten Realms, all divine spellcasters are directly empowered by their gods.

Yes, Paladins, Rangers and Druids included.

Millennium
2014-07-16, 05:52 PM
In the Forgotten Realms, all divine spellcasters are directly empowered by their gods.

I thought that back in the 3.5e days, there was an article where they said that a god (other than Mystra) had to have levels in a class to be able to directly empower spellcasters of that class. If I'm remembering the article correctly, Helm was explicitly called out as an example: he sponsors paladins, but because he is not a paladin, they don't get their power from him: it comes from somewhere else. I don't recall the article stating where exactly "somewhere else" is, though.

I always sort of pictured it as being kind of like David Eddings's The Elenium: if you're a god, and you want followers of a class that you can't empower, then you can make arrangements with a deity who can empower that class to do it for you. Helm might have had a contract with Tyr before their falling-out, for example, while Sune and Selune might have just gone straight to Mystra.

CyberThread
2014-07-16, 07:23 PM
We ain't in the 3.5 forums folks. The way magic works is a bit different from the good ole days, when Mystra when up in smoke, the gods founds different ways to access the magical powers, once the weave got shredded up .

Now that we are going to a more 3.5 casting approach, but also have rituals you can clearly argue that the old magic power is back , but not fully replaced due to folks knowing about rituals and other magical methods that Mystra can't easily erase but instead now co-opts.

As for Helm, he was not the god of paladins, he was the god of guards, which is very different. Tyr, is more inline with paladins.

Inevitability
2014-07-17, 03:02 AM

Wow, that's... Pretty stupid actually. But FR has more of such things. WotF, anyone?

Beleriphon
2014-07-17, 05:48 AM
As for Helm, he was not the god of paladins, he was the god of guards, which is very different. Tyr, is more inline with paladins.

Or Torm, who is quite literally the god of paladins.

da_chicken
2014-07-17, 07:04 AM
I think what annoys me more about FR than anything else is that they keep remaking the damn thing. It's like watching Star Trek except the replace the entire cast every season.

CyberThread
2014-07-17, 01:01 PM
I think what annoys me more about FR than anything else is that they keep remaking the damn thing. It's like watching Star Trek except the replace the entire cast every season.

It is a book based setting with multiple authors, a god/goddess dying is great for story progression.

CyberThread
2014-07-17, 01:09 PM
Wow, that's... Pretty stupid actually. But FR has more of such things. WotF, anyone?

Not firmly true, in 4e introduced things like primals and the world spirit.

Inevitability
2014-07-17, 03:04 PM
Not firmly true, in 4e introduced things like primals and the world spirit.

I'm sorry, what do you mean by this? I can't really make out the meaning of that sentence.

da_chicken
2014-07-17, 03:54 PM
It is a book based setting with multiple authors, a god/goddess dying is great for story progression.

But it's horrible for campaign stability. What good is lore if it changes every 3-5 years. I have players that still talk about Bane. It's just stupid. Not everyone who plays the game reads the books. I for one don't like any of the authors.

Besides the 4e changes were just to make changes. None of the authors wanted them from my understanding, with Salvatote being notably upset about whatever he had to do with Drizzt.

PinkysBrain
2014-07-17, 05:00 PM
Keith Baker had a post (http://bossythecow.com/hdwt/2012/06/eberron-discussion-do-you-want-the-timeline-advanced/) of why they do it (even if you don't have writers who want to treat the meta story as their own little playground for serialized stories, Keith is pretty unique in that respect AFAICS).

Kuulvheysoon
2014-07-17, 05:13 PM
But it's horrible for campaign stability. What good is lore if it changes every 3-5 years. I have players that still talk about Bane. It's just stupid. Not everyone who plays the game reads the books. I for one don't like any of the authors.

Besides the 4e changes were just to make changes. None of the authors wanted them from my understanding, with Salvatote being notably upset about whatever he had to do with Drizzt.

I dunno, RA must have been pretty happy about the ending of The Companions, because
He effectively resurrected all of his "best/favorite" characters in new, young bodies so he have the companions of the Hall together again. So he got that? Of course, on the other hand, Cadderly flew over the Cuckoo's nest, and I have no idea what happened to the Bouldershoulder brothers.

Gnomes2169
2014-07-17, 05:55 PM
Another god that would fit is Anumator's other side, Lathander... Who I believe is still the chief god of good in Fearun? Did they change that somewhere, or is my favorite MPD deity still top-dog in kicking Evil's butt?

(Also, despite being NG, I believe that Lathander/ Anumator had paladin levels in 3.5, and kept them in all future editions... Could be a little off there, however)

CyberThread
2014-07-18, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry, what do you mean by this? I can't really make out the meaning of that sentence.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Primordial

Inevitability
2014-07-19, 01:14 AM
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Primordial

Yes, I know about the primordials (4e was my first D&D edition) but what did you mean by the sentence? Did you mean to say:

Not firmly true, in 4e things like the primordials and world spirit were introduced.

Even if this were so, I fail to see how it is a good response to me stating that the Wall of the Faithless is stupid.

pwykersotz
2014-07-19, 08:03 AM
Yes, I know about the primordials (4e was my first D&D edition) but what did you mean by the sentence? Did you mean to say:

Even if this were so, I fail to see how it is a good response to me stating that the Wall of the Faithless is stupid.

Out of curiosity, what's your trouble with the Wall of the Faithless? I have only a minimal knowledge of it.

Inevitability
2014-07-19, 03:21 PM
Out of curiosity, what's your trouble with the Wall of the Faithless? I have only a minimal knowledge of it.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wall_of_the_Faithless

It is basically: 'You have to worship a deity, or your soul gets stuck forever in some spectral wall of eternal damnation.'

I can't see what purpose it has but restricting a number of character concepts. :smallannoyed:

Sartharina
2014-07-19, 03:34 PM
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wall_of_the_Faithless

It is basically: 'You have to worship a deity, or your soul gets stuck forever in some spectral wall of eternal damnation.'

I can't see what purpose it has but restricting a number of character concepts. :smallannoyed:

It gives flavor to the world, and puts the focus on the divine conflict in the Forgotten Realms.

And, it doesn't restrict the number of character concepts at all (Well, no more than any setting does.) - you can still play a naythiest, they just end up paying dearly for the hubris that their lives and freedoms actually mean anything to the whims of the deities. Also, the wall of the Faithless has a lot of stuff about it:
1. People go to gods they worship in action OR voice - someone who emulates the ideals of another god still goes to them.
2. People who don't meet the above have their only defining cosmic trait be "I died", making them the property of Myrkul, the God of Death.
3. Myrkul's a ****, and can do what he wants with the souls he gets. If that means stuffing them in a horrific wall of eternal damnation, don't let yourself fall into Myrkul's domain by Dying and not having anything else going for you.

CyberThread
2014-07-19, 06:11 PM
It gives flavor to the world, and puts the focus on the divine conflict in the Forgotten Realms.

And, it doesn't restrict the number of character concepts at all (Well, no more than any setting does.) - you can still play a naythiest, they just end up paying dearly for the hubris that their lives and freedoms actually mean anything to the whims of the deities. Also, the wall of the Faithless has a lot of stuff about it:
1. People go to gods they worship in action OR voice - someone who emulates the ideals of another god still goes to them.
2. People who don't meet the above have their only defining cosmic trait be "I died", making them the property of Myrkul, the God of Death.
3. Myrkul's a ****, and can do what he wants with the souls he gets. If that means stuffing them in a horrific wall of eternal damnation, don't let yourself fall into Myrkul's domain by Dying and not having anything else going for you.

You could theratically be from another culturl, the east or the egyptian based one, and be out of the sway of the wall of the faithless. It is a wierd system, because the other patheons have no such athiest punishment.

CyberThread
2014-07-19, 06:13 PM

Who said it had anything to do with you, I was talking about what druids and such worshiped and got powers from.

da_chicken
2014-07-19, 07:06 PM
You could theratically be from another culturl, the east or the egyptian based one, and be out of the sway of the wall of the faithless. It is a wierd system, because the other patheons have no such athiest punishment.

The problem is that in FR, the existence of deities is both widely accepted and proven. A goodly proportion of the world has a deity on Skype. The most intelligent and learned people in the world agree that deities exist. A not insignificant number of people have personally met deities. Indeed, the Mulhorandi actually are Egyptians. From Earth. And their Gods are on Skype with their clerics.

Now if you want to select a patron, that's fine. Your racial pantheon will likely claim you. However, if you want to be anti-theist -- believing the gods are false gods or rejecting their authority -- that's entirely different, but to be actually atheist in Forgotten Realms and believe that gods do not exist is to literally suffer from a delusional psychosis. There are more gods in Faerun then there are people that have walked on the moon, and the power of the gods are much easier to demonstrate.

CyberThread
2014-07-19, 07:08 PM
The problem is that in FR, the existence of deities is both widely accepted and proven. A goodly proportion of the world has a deity on Skype. The most intelligent and learned people in the world agree that deities exist. A not insignificant number of people have personally met deities. Indeed, the Mulhorandi actually are Egyptians. From Earth. And their Gods are on Skype with their clerics.

Now if you want to select a patron, that's fine. Your racial pantheon will likely claim you. However, if you want to be anti-theist -- believing the gods are false gods or rejecting their authority -- that's entirely different, but to be actually atheist in Forgotten Realms and believe that gods do not exist is to literally suffer from a delusional psychosis. There are more gods in Faerun then there are people that have walked on the moon, and the power of the gods are much easier to demonstrate.

What I mean is, that these other patheons don't have the land of the dead as such, so the wall of the faithless would theoricitly not threaten them. Myrkul has not power over those that are from the far east , so to speak.

rlc
2014-07-19, 07:44 PM
i'm not usually one to rule lawyer, but the article says "the faithless" become part of the wall (ie if: you never chose a patron or your patron died or rejected you, then pink floyd was talking about you, laddy).
but, if you think you're god...

Inevitability
2014-07-19, 11:37 PM
Who said it had anything to do with you, I was talking about what druids and such worshiped and got powers from.

Yes, but you were quoting me. That implies what you posted had something to do with what I said.