PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Level 3 spell for NPC

WalkingTheShade
2014-07-15, 03:17 PM
Oi.
I'm building a level 6 kobold sorcerer antagonist for my next game. He'll know one level three spell. What should it be?
Bonus points for spells being non-lethal but annoying as hell.

Wacky89
2014-07-15, 03:20 PM
Great Thunderclap SpC

WalkingTheShade
2014-07-15, 03:22 PM
Great Thunderclap SpC

Hah... that's a good one.

Wacky89
2014-07-15, 03:28 PM
Hah... that's a good one.

yea that might be the most annoying spell that comes to mind, since it forces 3 save or suck

WalkingTheShade
2014-07-15, 03:49 PM
yea that might be the most annoying spell that comes to mind, since it forces 3 save or suck

And I just love the image of the puny kobold ringing a little bell and suddenly everyone falling on their ass.

Miss Disaster
2014-07-15, 03:59 PM
Additional offensive spells that can affect the entire party and are also non-lethal and annoying are Slow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) and Vertigo Field (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-ii--80/vertigo-field--2989/). Both are excellent offensive spells with strong reputations.

WalkingTheShade
2014-07-15, 04:06 PM
Additional offensive spells that can affect the entire party and are also non-lethal and annoying are Slow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) and Vertigo Field. Both are excellent offensive spells with strong reputations.

Thanks! I like the second one more, it's a great effect to describe in game.

RolandDeschain
2014-07-15, 06:00 PM
I'll second Great Thunderclap...it is, in fact, annoying as hell.

Warcry is also right up there, if you can get your DC up a little bit...

Wacky89
2014-07-15, 06:14 PM
there are plenty ways to boost the dcs of spells as a DM.

Ability Focus (Spells)
Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus

Templates that boosts stats

RolandDeschain
2014-07-15, 06:27 PM
there are plenty ways to boost the dcs of spells as a DM.

Ability Focus (Spells)
Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus

Templates that boosts stats

oops...didn't see the "antagonist" part, thought this was a pc

HighWater
2014-07-16, 06:35 AM
Oi.
I'm building a level 6 kobold sorcerer antagonist for my next game. He'll know one level three spell. What should it be?
Bonus points for spells being non-lethal but annoying as hell.

If you want to stick to Core, Stinking Cloud is also massively annoying:

F. Save vs Nauseated (can't do sh-t for all the rounds you're inside the Cloud + 1d4+1 rounds after you've left it. Only a single move action.)

The cloud obscures vision, which screws up their line of sight and grants total concealment >5ft, and normal concealment <5ft. It also counts as difficult terrain for creatures using sight to navigate, halving movement speeds and making charges etc. impossible.

It gets worse if you play it smart:
- The cloud triggers a new save every round, and will last for 6 rounds altogether.
- If the sorcerer has the surprise round ánd initiative, he makes everyone save twice before they even get to act.
- Combine this with a way of slowing people down further (get them entangled or inside the area of an Entangle for instance) and they'll have trouble leaving the cloud (30ft/2/2 = 5ft or 10ft when not nauseated, cloud has a 20ft radius) which pretty much guarantees that when they do come out, they come out puking and unable to do anything meaningful for 1d4+1 rounds.

That's about the definition of annoying!

WalkingTheShade
2014-07-16, 12:01 PM
Warcry is also right up there, if you can get your DC up a little bit...
In what source? In Spell Compendium, it is a second level bard spell that gives some bonus when charging.

It gets worse if you play it smart:
That might be a tad too much. The NPC isn't likely to get a suprise round anyway. He's not that bright.
I think that fluff wise, both Vertigo Field and Great Thunderclap provide for a more cinematic description. I mean... a cloud that stinks is just a cloud that stinks. Moreover, we already had dretches a couple sessions back, that'd feel like a rehash.