PDA

View Full Version : Reducing metamagic cost

Hazrond
2014-07-15, 06:17 PM
is there a way to, (preferably using just a feat instead of levels) reduce a +1 metamagic to +0? i thought there were ways but alas i am having trouble finding them :smallfrown:

Karnith
2014-07-15, 06:21 PM
is there a way to, (preferably using just a feat instead of levels) reduce a +1 metamagic to +0? i thought there were ways but alas i am having trouble finding them :smallfrown:
Arcane Thesis (PHBII, pp. 74-75) can do it for metamagic feats applied to single spell. I don't think that Metamagic School Focus has the "minimum +1" limit, either, though each instance of the feat only works 3/day and for spells of a particular school.

It's not really a build option, but if you can manage to pal around with a Slaymate you can reduce metamagic costs for Necromancy spells by 1 without the "minimum +1" restriction.

Hazrond
2014-07-15, 06:28 PM
Arcane Thesis (PHBII, pp. 74-75) can do it for metamagic feats applied to single spell.

You can also go the DMM/Naenhoon Illumian route to negate the metamagic adjustment entirely through turning attempts, but I suspect that's not really what you're looking for.

I kinda need a reverse of arcane thesis, a lower cost on a single metamagic so i can add it to a bunch of different spells (its Piercing Cold, allows all my cold spells to go through cold immunity/resistance) so as to be able to not worry about whether my spells can damage a creature or not due to immunities (Cold spells are this character's schtick)

Karnith
2014-07-15, 06:34 PM
I kinda need a reverse of arcane thesis, a lower cost on a single metamagic so i can add it to a bunch of different spells (its Piercing Cold, allows all my cold spells to go through cold immunity/resistance) so as to be able to not worry about whether my spells can damage a creature or not due to immunities (Cold spells are this character's schtick)
Yep, the only metamagic reducer like that (that I'm aware of) is Easy Metamagic, in Dragon 325, but it can't reduce a metamagic feat's adjustment to below +1. Well, okay, you could do DMM or one of its variants, but I doubt that is what you're looking for.

I know that you don't want to invest levels, but is Winterhaunt of Iborighu is an option? They get free Piercing Cold on all of their cold spells as a class feature.

Hazrond
2014-07-15, 06:36 PM
Yep, the only metamagic reducer like that (that I'm aware of) is Easy Metamagic, in Dragon 325, but it can't reduce a metamagic feat's adjustment to below +1. Well, okay, you could do DMM and it's variants, but I doubt that is what you're looking for.

I know that you don't want to invest levels, but is Winterhaunt of Iborighu is an option?

Well i have 5 levels left over in the build but that PRC SEVERELY clashes with the character concept :smallannoyed:

RPGaddict28
2014-07-15, 06:45 PM
Practical Metamagic from Races Of The Dragon, you need to have the Dragonblood subtype, and spontaneous casting, but both can be acquired with some feats.

Starmage21
2014-07-15, 06:51 PM
Which metamagic are you trying to reduce. There are other tricks we could suggest.

Like the Runesmith's ability to trade somatic components for runes (material components that cost nothing), basically making it the same as Still Spell.

Karnith
2014-07-15, 06:56 PM
Practical Metamagic from Races Of The Dragon, you need to have the Dragonblood subtype, and spontaneous casting, but both can be acquired with some feats.
It also can't reduce a metamagic feat's spell slot adjustment below +1, unfortunately, which means it doesn't help get Piercing Cold down to +0.

Hazrond
2014-07-15, 06:57 PM

Which metamagic are you trying to reduce. There are other tricks we could suggest.

Sadly Practical metamagic cant bring it below +1 and as for which metamagic, its Piercing Cold

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-15, 07:00 PM
Metamagic School Focus feat in CM can reduce it below +1, but can only be use on three spells each day for every time you take it.

Arcane Thesis in PH2 reduces the cost of the spell per metamagic feat applied, and can be used to get a net metamagic cost of zero for the spell you select when you take it.

Practical Metamagic feat in RotD reduces the cost by one, but cannot reduce it below +1.

Easy Metamagic feat from Dragon issue 325 reduces the cost by one, but cannot reduce it below +1.

Metamagic rods in the DMG and a few in CA and other books can apply a metamagic feat for free.

Incantatrix 10 from PGtF reduces the cost of all your metamagic feats by one, but will not reduce any below +1. However, it gets another ability that allows you to apply a metamagic feat for free a limited number of times per day, and other abilities that allow you to make a spellcraft check to add a metamagic feat to an ongoing noninstantaneous spell or to another caster's spell as they cast it.

Dweomerkeeper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a) 10 reduces the cost of all your metamagic feats by one, but will not reduce any below +1.

Sadly Practical metamagic cant bring it below +1 and as for which metamagic, its Piercing Cold

If you have Spell Focus: Cold, you could try to get Metamagic School Focus: Cold, to use it with any spell that has the cold subtype rather than any spell from a particular school.

heavyfuel
2014-07-15, 07:01 PM
Behold! A wild handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=972.0) appeared!

If this big boy doesn't help you, I don't know what will.

Story
2014-07-15, 10:27 PM
Unlike Searing Spell, Piercing Cold doesn't affect creatures with Cold subtype, so it's not a guaranteed solution.

Kazyan
2014-07-15, 10:48 PM
Midnight Metamagic can do this 1/day.