PDA

View Full Version : Ways to move fast in full plate

justiceforall
2014-07-15, 08:38 PM
Hi playground,

I'm looking for some way to move quickly in full plate armour. I'm currently aware of two class features that get around the restriction (champion of corellon larethian and knight base class), but I can't use either on my character which is a non-elven paladin who doesn't want to multiclass into 4-9 levels of knight.

I'm not aware of any feats that will correct the issue? Are there other classes or magic items?

I'm aware I could just try and increase general speed, but I believe that any increases get reduced by the heavy armour?

heavyfuel
2014-07-15, 08:42 PM
A continuous item of Knight Unburdened (Pally 1, Forge of War) costs 4k GP. The spell also lasts for hour/lv, so if someone in your party has access to the spell (it's a touch spell, not personal), you can just ask them to cast it on you and give them a 1st lv Pearl of Power for 1k GP.

Just noticed you're a Pally. Cast it on yourself and get a pearl of power if you need more than one casting per day. Rod of Extend is a bit more expensive (3K) but works 3/day and for any spell level up to 3rd

justiceforall
2014-07-15, 08:45 PM
Wow so I can actually cast that?

Thanks, great suggestion. Hrm... now to somehow convince my GM to allow Eberron material :(.

As a backup - are there other non-Eberron options?

Kantolin
2014-07-15, 08:47 PM
You want a Tooth of Savnok. It can be found in the Tome of Magic on page 74.

Skevvix
2014-07-15, 09:13 PM
A custom magic item using Expeditious Retreat (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/expeditious-retreat--2811/) would be 4k as well.

Edit: Note that this would only give you 40' movement, assuming you have 30 base.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-07-15, 09:16 PM
Travel Devotion?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-07-15, 09:19 PM
Paint it red.

Although I think that only works if you're an Ork.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-07-15, 09:24 PM
Paint it red.

Although I think that only works if you're an Ork.

With racing stripes. Those make it go faster.

CrankyPsion
2014-07-15, 09:33 PM
Down a steep hill. :smallbiggrin:

Red Fel
2014-07-15, 09:35 PM
With racing stripes. Those make it go faster.

Flame decals. Gotta have flame decals.

On a more serious point, you say "non-elven." Does that mean dwarven? Can it? Because, if you recall, although a dwarf starts with a lower base speed, its speed is unaffected by heavy armor. So at that point, all you need to do is increase your base movement speed, and a lot of things do that.

You could be Sprinty MacDash, of the Clan MacDash, the fastest Dwarf in the Dwarven Highlands! There can be only one... Gold medalist runner!

justiceforall
2014-07-15, 09:49 PM
On a more serious point, you say "non-elven." Does that mean dwarven? Can it? Because, if you recall, although a dwarf starts with a lower base speed, its speed is unaffected by heavy armor. So at that point, all you need to do is increase your base movement speed, and a lot of things do that.

My character is a human.

I intend to take travel devotion if I can fit it into my build, but that just means I plod an extra 20ft. The image I'm trying to conjure for my paladin is the guy in full plate who can still go.

Red Fel
2014-07-15, 10:20 PM
My character is a human.

I intend to take travel devotion if I can fit it into my build, but that just means I plod an extra 20ft. The image I'm trying to conjure for my paladin is the guy in full plate who can still go.

Oh, Paladin! That's easy!

Get a special mount. Add flame decals. Done. And it's 20% cooler.

Or take the Dragon Steed feat, get a Dragonnel as your special mount. Good land speed, plus a fly speed. Or take the Drakkensteed ACF, and get a Drakkensteed - better land speed, but worse flight. Seriously, ride a freaking dragon, and who cares how slow you are on land?

All seriousness again, have you considered Incarnum? Blink Shirt gives you Dimension Door as a standard action, 10 feet + 10 feet per essentia invested. Cerulean Sandals give you the ability to walk on water, and increase base land speed by 5 feet per essentia invested. Pegasus Cloak, if bound to the shoulders, gives you a flight speed of 10 feet per essentia invested - and who doesn't want to fly?

PaucaTerrorem
2014-07-15, 10:34 PM
Boots of Striding and Springing.
One level Monk for Improved Unarmed
Take ranks in Perform(Ballet)
Just picture the smitings.

Regissoma
2014-07-15, 10:36 PM
Tome of Magic-Tooth of Savok, remove speed penalties, takes on features or whatever of Savok
3rd party Bastion press: Weightless enchant +2 for armor: armor weighs nothing, +4 max Dex, reduce ACP by 5, removes speed penalties
Underdark book: Half-Weight enchant +3: armor becomes counted as light armor, weighs 25 pounds, other effects
Core: Nimbleness +1 Reduce acp by 2 and increase max dex by 1
Non-magic ways-Increase Base speed, be a dwarf, paint it red, or paint it purple to be stealthy

justiceforall
2014-07-15, 11:08 PM
All seriousness again, have you considered Incarnum? Blink Shirt gives you Dimension Door as a standard action, 10 feet + 10 feet per essentia invested. Cerulean Sandals give you the ability to walk on water, and increase base land speed by 5 feet per essentia invested. Pegasus Cloak, if bound to the shoulders, gives you a flight speed of 10 feet per essentia invested - and who doesn't want to fly?

Yes I have considered it - someone in the other thread suggested it already for the shadow subtheme. I'm mostly unfamiliar with the book, but the shadow mantle would be my first pick from that if I was going to use it (since I'd use feats I wouldn't really want to go for more than one).

Boots of Striding and Springing.
One level Monk for Improved Unarmed
Take ranks in Perform(Ballet)
Just picture the smitings.

But I'd still do it slowly! Hilariously, Perform (Ballet) doesn't get an armour check penalty from the full plate...

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-15, 11:28 PM
Take a level of wizard for abrupt jaunt.

Sith_Happens
2014-07-16, 12:07 AM
You want a Tooth of Savnok. It can be found in the Tome of Magic on page 74.

The real question is, does his party want him to have a Tooth of Savnok?

When the tooth is in your mouth, you show the sign of the associated vestige, just as you would if you had actually bound it. In addition, you are automatically under its influence, as though you were a binder who had failed a binding check.

Savnok’s influence makes you headstrong and recalcitrant. Once you make up your mind about a particular issue, very little can change your thoughts on the matter. In addition, whenever you don armor, employ a shield, or wear any other item that improves your AC, Savnok requires that you not remove that protection for any reason.

Put that on a Paladin, I dare you.:smalltongue:

Thiyr
2014-07-16, 12:16 AM
Savnok’s influence makes you headstrong and recalcitrant. Once you make up your mind about a particular issue, very little can change your thoughts on the matter. In addition, whenever you don armor, employ a shield, or wear any other item that improves your AC, Savnok requires that you not remove that protection for any reason.

FTFY. Paladin armor-funk. Nasty stuff. The other bit, well, c'mon. They're a paladin already, they never change their minds. SMITE!

Also, uh...make the armor mithril, take a level in psychic warrior and take speed of thought and Skate? SPEED!

JDL
2014-07-16, 02:39 AM
Fly.

How you do it is up to you. As a Paladin, my favourite was the DMG option of alternative paladin mounts. Pegasus is an alternative for a level 7 Paladin. Not only is it completely appropriate for a Lawful Good Paladin (pure white steed with giant angel wings), it also has a 120 ft. (!) fly speed. Dump all your points into Ride, take Mounted Combat, Ride By Attack and Spirited Charge, and charge attack anything within 120 ft, attack with double damage (triple damage with a lance), then move away 120 ft. all in one round.

If you prefer not to spec for flying mounted combat, simply getting a magic item that grants a fly speed will typically see you moving fast. Winged Boots (3/day, 5 min. duration, 16,000 gp) are your budget option, Wings of Flying (no limit, 54,000 gp) is the deluxe version. These will both mean you can fly at 40 ft. speed in heavy armor.

Darrin
2014-07-16, 07:08 AM

And this is different from the usual paladin how, exactly?

(There's a minor bungle with the Tooth of Savnok, anyway... "Dwarven Step" was Aym's ability, not Savnok. That being said... Binder dip to bind Aym might work here, and her Influence might be easier to deal with.)

Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement, FR Underdark) has already been mentioned, and is probably the best solution that doesn't involve dips/feats. I'd add Easy Travel (+1500 GP, MIC) to avoid encumbrance issues.

Other than that, your best strategy might be to pile up speed increases to the point where it's the same as if you weren't encumbered by armor:

Boots of Striding and Springing (5500 GP, DMG), +10' enhancement bonus to speed.

Crystal of Alacrity (3500 GP, MIC) might help some, +5' morale bonus to speed.

Quickness armor property (+5000 GP, MIC), +5' enhancement bonus.

Some other speed boosts from an older "Mach 1" thread:

Dread Carapace (soulmeld, 60' + 10'/essentia)
Worg Pelt (soulmeld, 5' + 5'/essentia)
+10' Fast Movement (Forest Reeve 1)
+10' Speed of Thought (XPH, insight bonus)
+10' Celerity domain (Spell Compendium, untyped bonus)
+10' Freedom Mantle (Complete Psionic)
+10' Quick trait (Unearthed Arcana, untyped bonus)
+10' Divine Vigor (Complete Warrior, untyped bonus)
+5' Dash feat (untyped bonus)

Bloodgruve
2014-07-16, 08:27 AM
IIRC speed in heavy armor is Base Land Speed x 0.69 rounded to the nearest 5'. I think you take the speed reduction in all cases except with the dwarven racial trait or similar. So Dwarf+Expeditious Retreat+full out run = 200'/round and Human+Expedtious Retreat+full out run = 165'/round. Or in combat a with Expeditious Retreat Dwarf is 50' while Human is 40'. (Someone please correct me if this is wrong.)

Dwarf pulls ahead with anything more then a 10' increase.

As others have said Binder w/Aym is a good option if you're human. Not familiar with the Tooth.

Animal Devotion feat gives 5'+ to your base land speed also.

If you look Binder, Savnok can switch places with any ally, so summoned creatures, party memebers or familiars in melee can act as a teleport. You'd need Improved Binding feat though if you only dipped 1 lvl.

GL
Blood~

AMFV
2014-07-16, 08:45 AM
Fly.

Depending on what direction you want... that's easy!

On a serious note, most flying mounts can't fly with more than a medium load. The Asperi (from MM 2) is one of the notable exceptions. So you have to make sure that your mount can bear you and your armor.

Bluydee
2014-07-16, 09:30 AM
Paint it red. Then go 3 times faster than a normal paladin.

Person_Man
2014-07-16, 11:27 AM
A lot of things that grant a Fly speed aren't effected by armor or encumbrance, and it's actually fairly cheap to get it. You can also just get a magical mount lots of different ways.

There are also a ton of ways to gain free movement for cheap. Check the Pounce and Free Movement Guide in my signature.

Although honestly, I find that movement speed is rarely important if you're adventuring in traditional dungeons/castles/ruins/etc most of the time. Everybody tends to cluster withing 10-30 feet of each other most of the time.

Psyren
2014-07-16, 11:41 AM

And this is different from the usual paladin how, exactly?

Win!

But yeah, this is Aym's ability, not Savnok's.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-16, 11:51 AM
Ceremonial Armor, Dungeon 105. Twice as expensive and half the AC bonus, but it also lessens your ACP, raises the max dex and doesn't reduce your speed.

Kantolin
2014-07-16, 11:57 AM
You know, while I'm fond of Binders, I never really thought about the fact that Savnok doesn't /have/ his tooth's ability. I guess this explains why!

Learn something new every day. :smallsmile:

deuxhero
2014-07-16, 12:12 PM
Do you need to just boost your move speed (easy) or to stop armor from slowing you down (harder)? It's actually important

You can’t use this skill if your speed has been reduced by armor, excess equipment, or loot.
(and also running)

Vaz
2014-07-16, 12:27 PM
Bear in mind that if you get a Flying Mount, you need to be careful of your weight limit. A human paladin with Full Plate and a Greatsword weighs around 220lb-240lb - to fly you need to be carrying a Light load. Bear in mind that you're going to be riding it, so that's usually a quadruped, so you triple carrying capacity. Hippogriffs are the go-to, I believe, as 300lb is a lot of spare Paladin to carry, and, if he chooses a lighter companion, along with lighter equipment (say Mithril Full Plate and Weapon), that's 30lbs dropped straight away.

deuxhero
2014-07-16, 12:34 PM
That's why you get a griddle of masculinity/femininity.

No, I'm completely serious, 35 extra pounds of gear is VERY useful. When's the last time your character would have failed to reach something if he was 5 inches shorter?

Sith_Happens
2014-07-16, 02:11 PM
On a serious note, most flying mounts can't fly with more than a medium load. The Asperi (from MM 2) is one of the notable exceptions. So you have to make sure that your mount can bear you and your armor.

Just give it Easy Travel barding.

justiceforall
2014-07-16, 08:29 PM
Do you need to just boost your move speed (easy) or to stop armor from slowing you down (harder)? It's actually important

Ideally its to stop armour from slowing him down. I'm building to a theme, part of which is that he moves around in full plate like everyone else moves around in a chain shirt. I can easily enough reduce or remove the ACP, but the movement penalties, as you say, are much harder to deal with.

There are also a ton of ways to gain free movement for cheap. Check the Pounce and Free Movement Guide in my signature.

Although honestly, I find that movement speed is rarely important if you're adventuring in traditional dungeons/castles/ruins/etc most of the time. Everybody tends to cluster withing 10-30 feet of each other most of the time.

I have checked a number of your guides when building my mad schemes, thank you for that, including the movement/pounce one (which I referenced for this characters predecessor, who sadly died a terrible death). I don't have problems finding movement boosts, its dealing with the armour reduction that seems trickier.

Thus far the best suggestion seems to be the spell from Eberron (since he's a paladin anyway), I'm just trying to see if there's a backup plan in case the GM says no since we don't use any Eberron stuff.