PDA

View Full Version : How would you make Wakka from FF10 in 3.5/PF?

aleucard
2014-07-15, 09:01 PM
Yeah, he's one of the more absurd PCs in the game, both in concept and implementation, but that just makes the thought of him showing up more amusing. We can say that he shows up in the DnD world after the FF10 Final Boss fight so that he's not quite as stupid about certain things, but I don't really care.

What would your personal build for this guy look like? Obivously, some things would need to be adapted (not too sure if there's an existing thing to stand in for a Blitzball, but shouldn't be too hard to stat out in a sensible manner; D6 20/x3 Bludgeoning Thrown-Only (melee use takes standard -4 improvised penalty) Ranged Inc. 30' w/ proficient users having Ex. Returning property (maybe allow more skilled users to speed up the return) sounds decent so far)), but as long as the basics are kept intact (attacks primarily with thrown balls of several kinds, capable of various kinds of debuffs, good under water) it's fine by me. Obvious choices for PrC are Master Thrower, Hulking Hurler (the power attack option looks nice, as does Knockdown Blow and Meteor Strike), and Exotic Weapons Master (maybe with a couple homebrew tricks for throwing weapons).

Assume standard WBL, though if you want to do your build Gestalt that's fine (non-Gestalt would be preferred thanks to how few DMs actually run it). Have fun!

Kantolin
2014-07-15, 09:05 PM
I maintain Wakka isn't stupid in FFX, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway! Totally uses the Orc Shotput from the Arms & Equipment Guide, and then is a Bloodstorm Blade from the Tome of Battle. These two features are clearly made with Wakka in mind :smallsmile:

PaucaTerrorem
2014-07-15, 09:15 PM
I maintain Wakka isn't stupid in FFX, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway! Totally uses the Orc Shotput from the Arms & Equipment Guide...

+2 on both counts. Wakka's character concept was a little weird, but he was great in combat.

Also the Orc Shotput with Returning is what you want.

aleucard
2014-07-15, 09:23 PM
+2 on both counts. Wakka's character concept was a little weird, but he was great in combat.

Also the Orc Shotput with Returning is what you want.

I never said he was a stupid design. He's just completely absurd, from that Uber-Cowlick on down.

I'd have a much better time of evaluating the Orc Shotput for this if you were to post the stats for it, or is convenience against the rules or something? My google-fu has failed me.

EDIT: I actually have this book as a PDF and didn't know prior to this, so there you go. Still, it'd help a LOT if you provide the stats for things you suggest.

While it's a Thrown Ball weapon, it's obnoxiously heavy and the range increment is crap. I'd be willing to sacrifice some damage to improve those two. Remember that the ball is originally a Game-piece, so ~2-3 pounds is it. Doesn't matter all that much though for this, the main thing is the character build itself.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-07-15, 09:30 PM
Arms and Equipment. pg 7

2d6 19-20/x3 Range 10' Weight 15 lb
Requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency
Must be Medium or larger or take a -3(-7 if non-proficient)

And yeah, the cow-lick was bad.

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-15, 09:37 PM
You guys think Wakka is weird?

Just cause a guy wears spaghetti strap lingerie overalls and is a ginger-Caucasian-Jamaican and fights Eldritch horrors using a water polo ball and styles his hair with just one big curling iron and gets his brother widow pregnant doesn't make him weird you guys!

aleucard
2014-07-15, 11:06 PM
Another possible PrC; http://dndtools.eu/classes/weapon-master/ Just make it so that the reach for Whirlwind Attack with a Blitzball is within the first range increment and you have a stand-in for most of the Overdrives sans the special effects right there.

EDIT: I have a thought. What modifications to the Swim skill would be needed to make it worth a damn? Being able to keep pace with the utility of just getting something for Swim speed seems like a good baseline.

Xaotiq1
2014-07-15, 11:19 PM
Pathfinder Soulknife??