PDA

View Full Version : All magic comes with a price!

Hazrond
2014-07-15, 10:40 PM
So heres a new one playgrounders, i have been watching alot of Once Upon a Time lately and i was wondering, what would be the closest recreation of Rumplestiltskin (http://onceuponatime.wikia.com/wiki/Rumplestiltskin) in D&D 3.5?

Segev
2014-07-16, 12:14 AM
Depends on what you want to replicate from him. He is a unique creature in his own setting, but a lot of his power stems from knowledge of how to perform magic more than just his innate power. His innate power still is very real, however.

If you want to do the "magic comes with a price" angle of magical bargains, he's a pretty straight-forward high-level wizard or PF witch, with an extensive selection of spells. He also has Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Brew Potion, and Craft Wondrous Item, at a minimum. He trades a lot of his magic-with-a-price for things he can use as ingredients for such items. In a setting with "magic-marts," this aspect doesn't quite work so well. It's important to remember that, in his setting, there isn't a place to go with your grocery list of magic item components; the ones that would be expensive gp bits in D&D are instead priceless elements of circumstance and mystical significance.

Hazrond
2014-07-16, 12:51 AM
Depends on what you want to replicate from him. He is a unique creature in his own setting, but a lot of his power stems from knowledge of how to perform magic more than just his innate power. His innate power still is very real, however.

If you want to do the "magic comes with a price" angle of magical bargains, he's a pretty straight-forward high-level wizard or PF witch, with an extensive selection of spells. He also has Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Brew Potion, and Craft Wondrous Item, at a minimum. He trades a lot of his magic-with-a-price for things he can use as ingredients for such items. In a setting with "magic-marts," this aspect doesn't quite work so well. It's important to remember that, in his setting, there isn't a place to go with your grocery list of magic item components; the ones that would be expensive gp bits in D&D are instead priceless elements of circumstance and mystical significance.

Perhaps alongside some levels of Ultimate Magus?

Segev
2014-07-16, 07:43 AM
I'd almost venture to say "Eldrich Theurge," as the off-the-cuff magics he does are very much "at will."

Gildedragon
2014-07-16, 09:51 AM
Which rumplestilskin? The lore one: artificer 5/Factotum X/Imp
Can make and unmake things, knows a lot of things, lots of craft ranks, truenamer vulnerability

The TV show one: mineral warrior hellbred Warlock/Truenamer

Telonius
2014-07-16, 10:15 AM
I haven't seen the last season (catching it on Netflix due to work schedule), so if anything changed there, let me know.

This is a tough one. To really model what he can do, I think it would probably have to be a homebrew "Dark One" template granted by the dagger.

If you want to avoid homebrew, well ... He's clearly got Baleful Polymorph, and probably Polymorph Any Object. His "straw into gold" bit isn't covered by the spell lists, since they usually can't be used to make intrinsically valuable materials. (Not permanently, anyway). Probably either a custom spell or modified Philosopher's Stone. He's definitely got Brew Potion and several other item creation feats. His dagger could be modeled by either some sort of Item Familiar, or as a Lich's phylactery. (As long as it exists, he's functionally immortal). As long as he has the dagger, he has excellent combat abilities. From his brief stint in the army, he might (might) have gotten heavy armor proficiencies, but afterwards I don't believe he's shown in anything heavier than padded. He has a limited precognitive sense from the seer. Obviously max ranks in Intimidate, Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information. High Sense Motive, but probably not maxed out. Max ranks in Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Planes), Knowledge (Nobility), and Knowledge (Local). Probably some sort of Bardic Knowledge ability as well.

Hazrond
2014-07-16, 12:05 PM
I haven't seen the last season (catching it on Netflix due to work schedule), so if anything changed there, let me know.

This is a tough one. To really model what he can do, I think it would probably have to be a homebrew "Dark One" template granted by the dagger.

If you want to avoid homebrew, well ... He's clearly got Baleful Polymorph, and probably Polymorph Any Object. His "straw into gold" bit isn't covered by the spell lists, since they usually can't be used to make intrinsically valuable materials. (Not permanently, anyway). Probably either a custom spell or modified Philosopher's Stone. He's definitely got Brew Potion and several other item creation feats. His dagger could be modeled by either some sort of Item Familiar, or as a Lich's phylactery. (As long as it exists, he's functionally immortal). As long as he has the dagger, he has excellent combat abilities. From his brief stint in the army, he might (might) have gotten heavy armor proficiencies, but afterwards I don't believe he's shown in anything heavier than padded. He has a limited precognitive sense from the seer. Obviously max ranks in Intimidate, Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information. High Sense Motive, but probably not maxed out. Max ranks in Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Planes), Knowledge (Nobility), and Knowledge (Local). Probably some sort of Bardic Knowledge ability as well.

Actually the straw to gold bit could be done rather easily using polymorph any object twice in a row, possible one from the loom he uses and one himself :smallamused:

Telonius
2014-07-16, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately not. While the double casting is a known exploit for most things, the wording of Polymorph Any Object shoots it down:

This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine.

Although ... huh, never noticed the callout for silk before. I guess they're using the "trade goods" table. Which means you (technically) probably couldn't turn someone into a cow or an ox, since they're worth more than silk. Also, no changing hemp rope to silk. :smallconfused:

Adverb
2014-07-16, 01:28 PM
I feel like he has True Creation, Wish, and Limited Wish as SLAs.

Hazrond
2014-07-16, 02:03 PM
I feel like he has True Creation, Wish, and Limited Wish as SLAs.

True creation is practically mandatory i think :smalltongue:, Wish and Limited Wish also both sound rather appropriate

Gemini Lupus
2014-07-16, 02:35 PM
I would say that he is a low level commoner, with a homebrew "Dark One" template, which grants him immortality, Limited Wish, Wish, True Creation, and all the craft magic item feats. He then supplements this with his own study of magic, which would give him quite a few levels of Wizard, with the Template allowing him to cast all his spells spontaneously, or a Sorcerer with a greatly expanded list of spells known.

Red Fel
2014-07-16, 06:59 PM
I would say that he is a low level commoner, with a homebrew "Dark One" template, which grants him immortality, Limited Wish, Wish, True Creation, and all the craft magic item feats. He then supplements this with his own study of magic, which would give him quite a few levels of Wizard, with the Template allowing him to cast all his spells spontaneously, or a Sorcerer with a greatly expanded list of spells known.

I would go with something similar, basically giving him SLAs of Limited Wish, Wish, True Creation, Fabricate, etc., plus his immortality and fast healing; but instead of a template, make it a Major Artifact - the dagger. The dagger provides the SLAs, feats, etc. Further, give the dagger an exceptionally high Ego score, and have it impose a few curses on him.

First, it curses him with obedience. The dagger obeys whoever holds it, and imposes Ego rolls against Rumple to control him when that happens.

Second, it curses him with corruption. Basically, that just entails Wis penalties and the like, going all cuckoo-pants.

Third, it curses him with solitude. The dagger is a cursed item, and like any other curse, it finds True Love to be anathema. Thus, it triggers Ego checks anytime Rumple gets too close to feeling True Love (e.g. for Bael or Belle). Basically, anytime he starts feeling True Love - which would break the dagger's hold on him and rob it (and him) of all of its powers - it makes him just crazy enough to push his loved ones away.

As a Major Artifact, its method of destruction is apparent: If the current owner (not wielder, there's a distinction) willingly embraces True Love over the dagger's power, the dagger becomes inert, a simple but ornamental knife, its power (and curse) forever destroyed.

Hazrond
2014-07-17, 01:30 AM
I would go with something similar, basically giving him SLAs of Limited Wish, Wish, True Creation, Fabricate, etc., plus his immortality and fast healing; but instead of a template, make it a Major Artifact - the dagger. The dagger provides the SLAs, feats, etc. Further, give the dagger an exceptionally high Ego score, and have it impose a few curses on him.

First, it curses him with obedience. The dagger obeys whoever holds it, and imposes Ego rolls against Rumple to control him when that happens.

Second, it curses him with corruption. Basically, that just entails Wis penalties and the like, going all cuckoo-pants.

Third, it curses him with solitude. The dagger is a cursed item, and like any other curse, it finds True Love to be anathema. Thus, it triggers Ego checks anytime Rumple gets too close to feeling True Love (e.g. for Bael or Belle). Basically, anytime he starts feeling True Love - which would break the dagger's hold on him and rob it (and him) of all of its powers - it makes him just crazy enough to push his loved ones away.

As a Major Artifact, its method of destruction is apparent: If the current owner (not wielder, there's a distinction) willingly embraces True Love over the dagger's power, the dagger becomes inert, a simple but ornamental knife, its power (and curse) forever destroyed.

wow i actually REALLY like this one, good job :smallcool:

Edit: a rather large SR seems in order to counteract the will save penalties seeing how he was rather immune to most magic