PDA

View Full Version : The Far Realm (pertaining to portals and servitors)

Pinkcrusade
2014-07-15, 11:36 PM
We all know about the heavily Lovecraft-influenced Far Realms; a place of pure insanity and unimaginable creatures. I was toying with a concept that is a character obsessed with the Far Realms and attempting to unleash the madness upon the Material Plane. I have run into a snag with the process of opening portals (as the presence of the creatures increase the chaos of the material plane (according to Fiend Folio)), and a class that is perfect for said character (excluding Alienist).

Thanks for any input

Erik Vale
2014-07-15, 11:58 PM
Precipitate Planar breach, a level 6 or 7 spell. Anything on the other side [well, on both sides] can make a DC 15 Knowledge Planes check to mosey on through as if it was a really large gate [though end location is set like plane shift I think]. Oh, and it lasts for hours and lets some planar traits effect the surroundings.

This is all from the top of my head though, but that's a good way to get it sooner. It would also work for the incantation rules given it's level.

Edit: Ok, Fount it (http://dndtools.eu/spells/planar-handbook--79/precipitate-breach--2163/). It's level 5, with complete breach being level 9 [and a separate spell that works the same way]. However, you can't choose the end location, so perhaps research a version that links to only one plane, or where you can choose the plane.

Rethmar
2014-07-16, 03:07 AM
This isn't particularly relevant, but the Sepulchrave campaign journal includes a wizard/alienist who is way into the Far Realm. It's an incredibly good read.

Brookshw
2014-07-16, 05:59 AM
This isn't particularly relevant, but the Sepulchrave campaign journal includes a wizard/alienist who is way into the Far Realm. It's an incredibly good read.

Tales of Wyre is a great read period! I also recommend Shemska's Planescape Story hour.

You say no alienist but would your DM be up for reworking it? Alternatively maybe refluffing some taint based class.

MrSinister
2014-07-16, 07:23 AM
If you don't want Alienist, why not go with the good old Planeshifter (http://dndtools.eu/classes/planeshifter/)? I would love to see how that level 9 ability Planar Area Swap would work with the Far Realm.

From the class- "The swapped areas switch back in a number of days equal to 10 + planeshifter level." This is 19 days of MADNESS, minimum.

Some kinds of Far Realms-obsessed Conjurer/Alienist/Malconvoker/Planeshifter combo would make a pretty fun bad guy.