PDA

View Full Version : A question to the DMs of the board

Effero
2014-07-16, 01:36 AM
How does the board feel about taking Vow of Poverty after getting magic tattoos (which I read about on the board but haven't yet found) to replicate the affects of magic items? I'm asking here before asking the DM because if it is offensive to consider here, then it never happened there.

Divide by Zero
2014-07-16, 01:40 AM
How does the board feel about taking Vow of Poverty after getting magic tattoos (which I read about on the board but haven't yet found) to replicate the affects of magic items? I'm asking hear before asking the DM because if it is offensive to consider here, then it never happened there.

I'm not really familiar with magic tattoos, but RAW or not it blatantly violates the spirit of the vow. Of course, VoP is bad for anyone other than a full caster anyway, but if you want to throw them a bone, there's better ways to do it.

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-16, 01:43 AM
Well I think it would really depend on whether on not they were relic magic tattoos.

Adverb
2014-07-16, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't let the Powers of Good in any game I ran let someone get away with that. But considering how bad VoP is, I'd generally be into some kind of way to boost their character without breaking the Vow.

eggynack
2014-07-16, 01:51 AM
I'm not really familiar with magic tattoos, but RAW or not it blatantly violates the spirit of the vow. Of course, VoP is bad for anyone other than a full caster anyway, but if you want to throw them a bone, there's better ways to do it.
Yeah, on that basis, I'd probably base the decision on the class. If we're talking about the classic VoP monk, then just give the fellow his tattoos and let him proceed in peace, but if we're talking about an actually good VoP druid, then they just don't need the help.

Well I think it would really depend on whether on not they were relic magic tattoos.
Heh, good times, those.

Effero
2014-07-16, 01:57 AM
It is a low op game so I was planning a Monk (with Fist of the Forest thrown in) up to level 10 or so without VoP then taking it after getting the tattoos. I figured tattoos after the vow would be a no go, and I'm not a huge fan of many of the Exalted Feats anyway.

Divide by Zero
2014-07-16, 01:59 AM
Well, unless the tattoos give you flight, and more varied damage reduction bypassing, and miss chances, and all the other stuff you'd normally get from magic items, it's still worse than not taking VoP.

eggynack
2014-07-16, 02:09 AM
It is a low op game so I was planning a Monk (with Fist of the Forest thrown in) up to level 10 or so without VoP then taking it after getting the tattoos. I figured tattoos after the vow would be a no go, and I'm not a huge fan of many of the Exalted Feats anyway.
Then yeah, I'd likely be cool with it. It's a thing unlikely to lead to a particularly powerful character.

Brookshw
2014-07-16, 06:03 AM
Heh, good times, those. Well you know that you're obligated to homebrew a new relic for every possible magic item out there once someone takes VOP, right?

Back to the OP, as a general rule I'd probably frown upon it but depending on the party make up and optimization level might permit it.

eggynack
2014-07-16, 06:06 AM
Well you know that you're obligated to homebrew a new relic for every possible magic item out there once someone takes VOP, right?
That's just ridiculous. What you actually have to do, and it is the only thing that is reasonable to do, is homebrew relics that specifically fill any gaps in the VoP character's capabilities, even if no actual item exists with that combination of abilities and/or power level. Anything else is crazy.

ace rooster
2014-07-16, 06:15 AM

I would disagree, to the point that I would not forbid them from getting more magic tattoos after they took the vow. They would not be able to pay for them (including if they tried to do them themselves, or other PCs tried to use their wealth for the purpose), but the DM could give them as quest rewards fine. The point is that they cannot be turned back into money, so their value is only important for WBL calculations (which are often ignored anyway) after creation; ie metagame reasons. Would you ban a VoP caster from visiting magic sites, as they also have a value?

On a more practical basis I would second (forth?) the opinion that this will not break a monk, so I would allow it. As a DM I actually really like the idea, as it gives a way of granting rewards to the player that I am in control of (obviously with some player input), which VoP removes. A celestial gold dragon who can create tattoos, but has vowed not to directly interact with the affairs of the material plane gives the DM a reliable way to grant the boons, while also providing all sorts of plot openings and a method to keep the monk on the straight and narrow. That is just an idea off the top of my head, and I am sure there are many other possibilities.

BWR
2014-07-16, 06:27 AM
Taking the Vow after getting tattoos shouldn't be a problem unless the character is planning it this way to sneak around limitations, in which case I wouldn't allow it. If the player is planning it this way to get around limitations (with the character being honest and upright all the way), I would be careful. VoP is generally a pretty lackluster feat and power-wise I don't really see a problem. However I don't care for people trying to work against the spirit of the rules in that way so I would be tempted to disallow it on those grounds.

Pickingup magical tattoos after taking VoP is more
It depends on how the tattoos are acquired. If they are basically given in lieu of payment or as a cheat to get around the VoP limitations, it violates the spirit of the Vow and all benefits should be lost.
If the tattoo is given along the lines of quest points ("you will need this to defeat the evil Zordar") or as blessings from superiors (gods, high level clerics or monks, etc.) I would allow it.

lytokk
2014-07-16, 07:02 AM
Taking a vow of poverty after years of adventurin could represent a certain amount of character growth. I'd allow it so long as the player could role play the change in view. It's along the same lines of a trainer of thought I had regarding a warforged getting his composite platin enchanted and then realizing that money is best used by people who need it instead of him for his own selfish gains. Like wouldn't allow a brand new character to be built using this but if the character flows into it over time I'd allow it.

sideswipe
2014-07-16, 07:11 AM
if the tatoo's were imbued by a priest of their god. as a reward for personal sacrifice and service, and done in a holy ceremony. and the tatoo did not conflict with the spirit of the vow (other than "owning it") then i cannot see that the god that grants them the VOP powers taking them away.

Effero
2014-07-16, 07:51 AM
I could use Tattooed Monk to ease some concern about tattoo usage something like Monk 5/Tattooed Monk 9/Fist of the Forest 3. If the tattoos are part of the Monk's Order than it shouldn't be an issue right? And getting Magic tattoos would still follow the theme. However how do those monk tattoos stack with magic ones?

Just to clarify we are running the game 1 to 20 and plan the VoP to be part of his in-game development.

Brookshw
2014-07-16, 10:22 AM
. Anything else is crazy lazy.

Fixed that for you:smallamused: