PDA

View Full Version : Canned Heat in your Heels [Feat Tree]

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-01, 02:29 AM
Well, I was meditating on some of those ninja Anime where the characters are always blinking around in that "I move so fast you can't see me" mode, and I was wondering how you could mimic that in D&D. Now, in D&D, speed is usually equated with covering distance more quickly, but I'm interested in the idea of covering short distances quickly for benefit.

Speed Demon [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Dex 16+
Benefit: Whenever you move at least half of your movement speed before attacking, that opponent takes an equal penalty to his move speed.

Blink Dash [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Speed Demon
Benefit: You provoke no attacks of opportunity while moving.

Faster than the Eye [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Speed Demon, any other Speed feat
Benefit: Whenever you attack an opponent after moving at least half of your movement speed, you gain a Dodge bonus to AC equal to the number of Speed feats you possess until your next turn.

Blink Focus [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Speed Demon, Blink Dash
Benefit: Whenever you attack an opponent after moving at least half of your movement speed, you gain a +1 bonus to your attack for every 10 feet you moved.

Rapid Camouflage [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Speed Demon, any two other Speed feats
Benefit: Whenever you attack an opponent after moving at least half of your movement speed, you may make a free feint check against that opponent prior to the attack.

Blurring Speed [Speed]
Benefit: Whenever you attack an opponent after moving at least half of your movement speed, you gain a miss chance equal to 10 times the number of Speed feats you possess (maximum 50%) for one round.

Speed Trick [Speed]
Benefit: Whenever you attack an opponent after moving at least half of your movement speed, if the attack succeeds, you may immediately attempt a Trip, Bull Rush, or Disarm check.

Blink Supremacy [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Speed Demon, Blink Dash, Blink Focus, Dex 18+
Benefit: You gain a Fly speed equal to your base movement speed, with maneuverability of Perfect. If you do not end your turn touching the ground, you immediately fall. You cannot glide or hover. You can fly directly upwards with no penalty.

Momentous Strike [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Speed Demon, Power Attack
Benefit: Whenever you attack an opponent after moving at least half of your movement speed, and your attack is successful, you may immediately move that opponent, in any one direction, up to 5 feet for each Speed feat you possess. If the opponent hits a solid surface during this movement, he takes 1 damage for every 5 feet he traveled.

Momentum Focus [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Speed Demon, Power Attack, Momentous Strike
Benefit: Whenever you push an opponent using Momentous Strike, you may immeadiately move, as an immediate action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, one space farther in the same direction and immediately attempt a Grapple check against that opponent. If that space is occupied, this feat may not be used.

Momentum Supremacy [Speed]
Pre-Requisites: Speed Demon, Power Attack, Momentous Strike
Benefit: Whenever you Grapple an opponent using Momentum Focus, you may, as a standard action, roll a Grapple check to maintain the grapple. If you succeed, you may bash that opponent into a solid structure no farther than your base movement speed. If you do, that opponent takes 1d6 damage for each Speed feat you possess. (Reflex half)

Jade_Tarem
2007-03-01, 03:43 AM
If the idea was to mimick DBZ arial combat, you seem to have put some thought into it.

You can also cast Greater Dimensional Jumper and move 60 feet per round as a swift action.

jlousivy
2007-03-01, 04:44 AM
some say if you move at least 1/2 your move speed... A halfling rogue would only have to move 10 feet to do this, whereas a human monk would have to move 45 feet.(lvl 20). I'm suprised you didn't add a movement speed enhancing feat.
Other feat idea along these lines: you may move up to half your move speed and make a full-attack action.

also i think alot of these should require you to be unarmoured. It doesn't make sense if someone could do it in adamantine full-plate (assuming they wasted a good stat for dex and still took up adam full plate)

ExHunterEmerald
2007-03-01, 08:46 AM
Always flanking when you move half your move speed? Helloooooo, rogue-y nurse...
While that is fairly awesome, it would also scale up as your move speed did.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-01, 02:03 PM
Well, as for scaling (it's awkward that this be harder for a Monk with massive move speed to do than a halfling wizard) the purpose of blink dash is to make it possible to "dash around" without provoking so as to burn off the necessary movement requirement.

Auto Flanking is damn good for a rogue, and I...uh...don't really have a good answer for this. Alternate title for this feat tree: "It's 2:30 am and I'm tired."

As for DBZ Aerial combat, I was actually going for Rock Lee from Naruto (Momentum Supremacy is meant to be Primary Lotus)

Callos_DeTerran
2007-03-01, 05:16 PM
I for one approve of these feats whole heartedly, and I thought more of Primary Lotus then DBZ combat when I looked at this whole thing.

There are definitly many feats that could be made with this in mind, but perhaps some of them should be Fighter bonus feats, specifically the ones involving power attack.

To settle the movement speed issue though, maybe something different such as replacing "Move have your speed before benefit" with "Must move at least 10 feet or half your speed, whichever is lower." It makes it easier for speedy characters to gain the benefit without making it easier for the low movement speeds.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-01, 05:36 PM
I wanted to change the focus of movement speed from covering distance to short bursts of speed.

Also, they're all fighter bonus feats, I just forgot to mention.