PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me designing my main villain

Rolero
2014-07-16, 07:10 AM
Hi there, for a long time I've been designing on my head a large campaign and I finally going to start writing it. The story focus on a fallen hero that rises to create an evil empire. This will be based on a wolrd on my own, so I can have creative freedom.

The idea of the character is that once He was a famous general at the service of a great kindom, apparently good, but after a series of events, will prove corrupt and in the hands of selfish and incompetent rulers. Our char, lets call him..., i don't know, rufus (^^U), will suffer great loss because of them (his wife and children, most of his friends and lot of his soldiers), but when trying to claim justice, the culprits will evade it with abusive privileges and try to impose responsability on him. He will snap and start a revolt, wipping out all the court and his families and starting a civil war along all the kingdom. He will realize that the only way to establish order will be by absolute domination, and so, He starts to conquer all the kingdom and nearby regions one by one.

To aid him on his quest, he descends to a secret chamber inside the royal palace, where He knows and ancient artifact is being watch over. The item is a gaunlet with demonic design that goes by the name "the hand of the conqueror" and it is said to be the severed hand of one of the devil princes. Attached to his right hand, Rufus will adquire incredible powers and the subconscious aid of the devil through the conexion with the gaunlet.

That's his basic background, because I don't want to write every detail. What I'm not sure yet is how to build him. I definetly want him to be a martial character with devilish powers, as well as a cunning tactician and charismatic leader. I want him to be overpowered (He is supposed to be the final boss of the campaign after all) so I'm not sure how many points should He have to create his abilities (maybe 35/40?) About his class, antipaladin will fit except of the alignment, I could rule out that on this campaign antipaladins may be like black knights and are lawful evil. For the gaunlet, I was thinking that it could grant the half-fiend template and maybe some extra powers. Of course, it will have a great ego, but since Rufus is focused on expanding his empire, the item focus, it will behave properly most of the times.

So more or less, that's it. Want I want is some help with ideas for the char and even some sample builds to help me design Rufus up to higher levels (between 17-20) and specially his artifact, the hand of the conqueror.

Thanks in advance.

ZedarFlight
2014-07-16, 09:10 AM
Rough outline here:
I'm seeing Rufus being a Armor Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/armor-master).
Since he's the BBEG of the campaign, he's going to have a high point buy, if 40 points, before racial mods :I'd give him a base of
16, 16, 16, 14, 13, 12. Charisma can be dropped to raise something else, but it seems fitting for him to be semi-charismatic, since he was once this great general.

At 19th level, he's going to look something like:
Race: Human Alignment: Something Evil
Armor Master 19
Str 22 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 13 Cha 12
5*19 = 95 skill points
HP: Avg:204 Max:285 (10+18d10 + 95) Favored class & Toughness bonus has been put in here.

Feats: (20 total)
Power Attack, Toughness, Improved Shield Bash, TWF, Shield Master, Shield Slam, Iron Will, Greater Iron Will
Improved Bull Rush, Greater Bull Rush, Shield Focus, Improved TWF, Greater TWF
That's 13, you've got 7 more to play with.
Note: Improved and Greater TWF require 3 more dex than the guy has, I recommend a Belt of Dex +4.

I recommend +5 Full Plate, and a +5 Light Spiked Shield (because of TWF penalties). Special materials at your discretion.
AC's looking about :10 +14(FP) +7(Shield+Focus)+3(Dex) = 34 before Ring of Protection/Natural Armor Amulet. About on par for a CR 19. (http://paizo.com/PRD/monsters/monsterCreation.html)
Additionally he's got the equivalent of Moderate Fortification without spending anything, and DR 12/- when in heavy armor (Stacks with adamantine up to 15/-)

Attacks are going to annoy your melee players a bit, there's a bull rush with every shield attack, bull rush attempt = the attack roll +4(due to imp and greater bull rush)
Attacks are looking like: 23/18/13/8 with your main hand (No magic has been added in yet).
Shield's looking like 30/25/20, and counts as a +5 weapon due to Shield Master.

Power attack: 18/13/8/3 main hand: Left to you
Power attack: 25/20/15 shield: 1d4+16 + Bull Rush. (Also if there's not enough room for the bull rush, the target moves, then goes prone.)

All these are minimums, since he's going to be stronger as you equip magic items.
Basics Pros are: 34 AC before Rings/Amulets
DR 12/- (15/- if adamantine Full Plate)

As for your Hand of the Conqueror I'd suggest something along the lines of:
This item is intelligent (you pick how intelligent/ what it's ego is).
The wearer benefits from a +6 Enhancement bonus to Constitution.
The wearer gains Spell Resistance (16 + wearer's HD).
The wearer gains Fast Healing 5.

The wearer gains darkvision 60 ft. If it already has darkvision, the range of its darkvision is increased by 60 ft.
The wearer does not need to breathe or eat.
The wearer is immune to electricity and poison.
The wearer gains resistance to acid 10, cold 10 and fire 10.
The wearer gains telepathy and speaks Abyssal, Infernal, and Draconic.

Each day the Hand of the Conqueror receives 6 charges to cast spells. CL = Wearer's HD
1 Charge: Air Walk
2 Charges: Quickened Cure Critical Wounds
3 Charges: Heal (Self only)

Some ability ideas taken from this artifact. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/demon-prince-armor)

Rolero
2014-07-17, 06:50 AM
Umm, I am not really seeing him as a sword and shield warrior. The archetype is interesting though, could be a solid option towards prolonging the fight and make him very hard to knock out. But for stylish reasons, I see him using the gaunlet in combat one way or another, be that the gaunlet grants it a slam attack (the devil attacks for himself), or using it as a TWF combo.

One thing I didn't like though is his CHA. He MUST be very charismatic, not only was a renowed general before his fall but He created an empire. You need presence to move that much people towards your goals (evil or not)

About your ideas for the Hand of the Conqueror, I like some and others can be completetly OP, like: SR 16+HD?? He will be almost inmune to magic ^^U The party casters will feel totally worthless; or, 2 Heals per day? They'll have to kill him THREE times to finally shut him down... ^^U

Still, thanks for the ideas. For future adds I'm gonna write down some must haves:

-Charismatic to a fault. He is the leader of an empire, both feared and admired.
-Exceptional combatant. Very high level martial character, extraordinary melee fighter and brillant strategist.
-Must use the gaunlet in combat one way or another. Maybe as part of his attack routine or casting powers/spells provided by it.
-Lawful evil alignment. His goal is to dominate the continent with iron fist, but He is still an honorable and just person, though He will use any means necesary to uphold that dominion.

Beyond that, whatever you like, but that 4 traits define the character.

Almost forgot, He is Human btw.

stack
2014-07-17, 09:38 AM
Lawful evil anti paladin with hellknights levels? All about order that way. At higher levels they can get the ability to have intimidate go to frightened instead of shaken. Not much use against the party normally at that level, though the anti paladin aura should help there. Channel smite lets you use that channel energy for more damage, since you won't want to spend a standard to channel. Swift channel would work to for a weak blast with a swift. These are just filled though since hellknight won't advance them, probably not worthwhile.

the clumsy bard
2014-07-17, 09:47 AM
Ok before answering I need to know a few things.

1) What is the technology level of the world? (guns? Lots of magic? etc)

2) What books from pathfinder are you using / are you planning on using?

These things aside if you are looking for things that are charisma based the following classes lend well to that:

- Antipaladin
- Bard
- Cavalier
- Gunslinger (mysterious stranger archetype)
- Ninja
- Oracle
- Sorcerer
- Summoner

Of these the only things that might be interesting or appropriate sounding are:

antipaladin... if I need to explain why there's an issue
bard with the appropriate archetype, maybe the arcane duelist?
oracle depending on you mystery selection
Summoner... sounds crazy but if you build a synthesist and flavor the eidolon armor as the gauntlet...well it can be flavored well and turn out very interesting.

Sudain
2014-07-17, 06:06 PM
Okay here is how I would build him.

Class levels of whatever you want - if anti-paladin works go for it and ignore the alignment restriction. Any armor/weapon should be suitably stylistic regardless of function - I'd go with an exoctic weapon and a backup sword incase he's disarmed. Falcata to start with?

I agree, 50-60 stat points before race adjustments. At 60 I put him: 18, 14, 17, 14, 13, 18. For feats - I would choose things that increase saves, and HP in addition to power attack and damage things(He's going to be making saves 2-3 times a round).

Grant him two domains from Judgement, Law, Evil, or Devil domain(spells and abilities) for free and base DCs off his Charisma since he's so motivated and special. This is more of a reflection of his motivations and goals.

For the gauntlet I would let it grant him the half-fiend template for free - but he can't willingly take the gauntlet off - to remove it someone needs to lop off his arm. The gauntlet should grant him an extra free standard action every turn - that will help with action economy. When the claw comes in contact with any hostile armor or weapon it gets a free sunder attempt on the armor or weapon. A DC 20 heal check should be needed for any damage the claw deals or the wounds persist and fester.

For healing - yes allow the gauntlet to grant him a contingent heal spell. When it goes off make it very obvious/special how the emblem on his red leathery forehead glows a bright red, smells of sulfer and sizzles as his wounds close. It should be something obvious and they party can see if he has any more of those contingencies on him. Half-fiend already grants SR 10+HD, so you are good there - they casters will just need to get smart.

Rolero
2014-07-17, 08:25 PM
Lawful evil anti paladin with hellknights levels? All about order that way. At higher levels they can get the ability to have intimidate go to frightened instead of shaken. Not much use against the party normally at that level, though the anti paladin aura should help there. Channel smite lets you use that channel energy for more damage, since you won't want to spend a standard to channel. Swift channel would work to for a weak blast with a swift. These are just filled though since hellknight won't advance them, probably not worthwhile.

The prestige class sure is amazing, and fits perfectly with the character. This could be a winner for sure.

Ok before answering I need to know a few things.

1) What is the technology level of the world? (guns? Lots of magic? etc)

It will be a high fantasy setting with emerging guns.

2) What books from pathfinder are you using / are you planning on using?

Anything available in d20pfsrd

These things aside if you are looking for things that are charisma based the following classes lend well to that:

- Antipaladin
- Bard
- Cavalier
- Gunslinger (mysterious stranger archetype)
- Ninja
- Oracle
- Sorcerer
- Summoner

Of these the only things that might be interesting or appropriate sounding are:

antipaladin... if I need to explain why there's an issue
bard with the appropriate archetype, maybe the arcane duelist?
oracle depending on you mystery selection
Summoner... sounds crazy but if you build a synthesist and flavor the eidolon armor as the gauntlet...well it can be flavored well and turn out very interesting.

Antipaladin fits pretty well except for the alignment and that the class was builded with the Caothic Evil thing in mind. Even if I rule out that Rufus can still be Lawful Evil, I won't be totally confortable with it.
Maybe some levels of oracle can upgrade the char, but I don't see it in terms of background and char design.
Arcane duelist looks interesting, but I'm not sure how to optimaze it. Suggestions?

Okay here is how I would build him.

Class levels of whatever you want - if anti-paladin works go for it and ignore the alignment restriction. Any armor/weapon should be suitably stylistic regardless of function - I'd go with an exoctic weapon and a backup sword incase he's disarmed. Falcata to start with?

I agree, 50-60 stat points before race adjustments. At 60 I put him: 18, 14, 17, 14, 13, 18. For feats - I would choose things that increase saves, and HP in addition to power attack and damage things(He's going to be making saves 2-3 times a round).

Grant him two domains from Judgement, Law, Evil, or Devil domain(spells and abilities) for free and base DCs off his Charisma since he's so motivated and special. This is more of a reflection of his motivations and goals.

For the gauntlet I would let it grant him the half-fiend template for free - but he can't willingly take the gauntlet off - to remove it someone needs to lop off his arm. The gauntlet should grant him an extra free standard action every turn - that will help with action economy. When the claw comes in contact with any hostile armor or weapon it gets a free sunder attempt on the armor or weapon. A DC 20 heal check should be needed for any damage the claw deals or the wounds persist and fester.

For healing - yes allow the gauntlet to grant him a contingent heal spell. When it goes off make it very obvious/special how the emblem on his red leathery forehead glows a bright red, smells of sulfer and sizzles as his wounds close. It should be something obvious and they party can see if he has any more of those contingencies on him. Half-fiend already grants SR 10+HD, so you are good there - they casters will just need to get smart.

About the weapon, it was going to be a falcata almost 100%, even expending a feat is still the best one-handed weapon.
I like your sample stats, very solid and fitting.
The domain thing could come with the artifact, not by himself, Law and Evil being the main runners for it.
I would only use the extra action with the gaunlet if Rufus figths the party alone. If he has some henchmen around (important npc or not) he will have enough support. If it comes to one solitary fight on the throne room, yeah, the extra action will be perfect for action economy/menace per turn; specially with the SLA the half-fiend provides.

After all this, I think this build will suit him fine: Cavalier (either order of the lion or the scales) 9 Hell Knight Commander 10. With the OP stats and extra equipment, He will be a CR 21 if my math is right, maybe more if we take in acount the half-fiend template provided by the artifact, so up to 23. More than enough as a final boss.

We have a formidable warrior, with excellent AC and damage output, various SLA, several bonuses from his orders, a mount, tactician feats, very remarkable social skills and the devilish style.

What do you think?

I will write a sample build on the next post to get some numbers writen and see his potential.