PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How crucial is magic item optimization?

Dalebert
2014-07-16, 09:17 AM
The reason I ask is because my DM has banned any item creation feats other than for spell trigger items. His reasoning is that we will just sell everything that isn't exactly what we want to make exactly what we want because, in PF in particular since there's no xp cost, there's almost no disincentive not to. There's only the time cost. He wants us to at least consider keeping and using items that we find.

We are forced to choose between being less optimized, item-wise, or having fewer items overall. On top of that, he's fairly mathematically-strict about following guidelines for how much treasure we find at each level. To what extent are the challenge ratings in the game based on an optimized character?

This is very unscientific, but I will say that we have felt VERY challenged thus far. We only just hit lvl 5 and I realize the early levels tend to be challenging anyway but I feel we've come really close to wiping almost every game and have had to stop the adventure to recover at least overnight if not longer. I don't want to read much into that since low level characters don't have many items yet anyway.

ChocoSuisse
2014-07-16, 10:18 AM
Your DM knows what items he provided you and what are your abilities.
His job is to make it fun, he has all the tools he need to adjust the difficulty of the game.
But it's also your responsibility to sometimes play smart, to stay alive :
"Hum, guys, I don't think we're equipped enough do deal with a dragon. Let's find a less risky way to make some money, so that I can buy a particular item that would improve a lot our chance to win."
You can be a hero without being a fool.

Person_Man
2014-07-16, 11:41 AM
It's not that big of a deal.

Although I generally don't agree with the sentiment, I know plenty of DMs who are averse to optimization, especially if it's particularly "gamey" optimization like buying the exact magic items you need at the MagicMart. In particular, a lot of DMs delight in Eigen Plot (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotTailoredToTheParty?from=Main.EigenPlot) campaigns, where the DM gives you a specific magic item or piece of equipment or tidbit of important information that can be used as a key to win specific encounters he sets up. "Oh no, a White Dragon! Surely you would all perish if you tried to defeat it in a fair fight! Good thing you found that Necklace of Fireballs and can detonate them all at once using the method my NPC told you about nudge nudge nudge..."

If I was in this game, I would just play a Druid or Totemist or Incarnate or Summon focused Wizard, or some other build that doesn't rely on magic items. I also have no problem with retreating if combat seems to hard, and changing my spell/soulmeld/whatever selection every game day so that combat is more varied and the DM doesn't feel the need to so closely tailor his encounters.

Thiyr
2014-07-16, 12:35 PM
As far as the title question: it depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it. It isn't as important as class/feat choice, but it can make a notable difference, and some builds are just gonna be item dependent by their nature. But generally, you need things that are at least up to a certain point to stay relevant.

That said, in regards to

He wants us to at least consider keeping and using items that we find.

We are forced to choose between being less optimized, item-wise, or having fewer items overall.

That's...well, I guess its one way to get to that point, but that's kinda a lame way for him to go about things. If he wants you to consider useing what you find, it should be on him to make it interesting. If, hypothetically, a party of fighters found a headband of int, then he's doing a bad job. If its a pair of strongarm bracers but you were hoping for armbands of might? Well, at that point he's trying (and the difference is small enough that it isn't gonna be a problem). Don't know how he's doing it so I can't judge too much, but that's my general view. Especially bad for fighty types. "I am Swordslord McGreatsword! My greatsword techniques shall cleave the enemy in two! Oh, no, it doesn't matter how awesome it is, can't use that spear. Check the name."

Stupid weapon specific stuff.