PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sabertooth, need help finishing him...

WeaselGuy
2014-07-16, 11:08 AM
So, based on an earlier build, but fleshed out a little to my taste, is a character that I think resembles Sabertooth, at least a little...

CN Human Boar Totem Barbarian 4/Fist of the Forest 3/Black Blood Cultist 10

H - Improved Unarmed Strike
1 - Great Fortitude
B - Diehard
3 - Power Attack
6 - Track

My issue is two-fold. The first, I'm looking at the Feral Template, and it sure is shiny, frontloading a lot of nice things into this character. But, it also overlaps with some of Black Blood Cultist. Probably a minor issue, as the Pros outweigh the Cons.

Secondly, I have quite a few feats remaining, as well as 3 levels at the end to work with, and don't really know where to go with it. Should I just take 3 more levels of Barbarian?

Additionally, what sort of gear should this character focus on? I would assume a Mithral Breastplate, since it's basically a Light Armor Wearer's wet dream, and something to get him a fly speed would be ideal, but what are some items with pizazz that would really set this guy apart?

Rijan_Sai
2014-07-16, 01:00 PM
*Checks BBC*
Since you have levels to work with, go with Feral. The Special Attacks have been debated numerous times about whether or not you get them without RHD, (it says "Monster HD," which most believe got updated to "Racial HD." Talk the the DM, or if you are the DM, pick the one that makes sense to you.)
Also, you get the best ones from BBC anyway, so no big loss there.

What is (generally) not debated, is the Special Qualities, which only specify "HD." Fast Healing (1-5) is why you want this, (not to mention the decent Darkvision and STR increase!)

WeaselGuy
2014-07-16, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I was kinda figuring Feral was a win-win situation anyways, especially with LA buyoff. I just hate having an open-ended progression table and unplanned feats :smallannoyed:... Also, we're going by the character HD argument, because martial characters need love.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-07-16, 03:13 PM
Feral will also give you your trademark abilities-- claws and fast healing-- from the very start, which I figure is worth something. You could probably dump all of Black Blood Cultist if you go Feral.
A Warblade dip would be a nice touch to pick up some Tiger Claw stuff-- Hunter's Sense gives you back scent, and Sudden Leap is always a great movement enhancer.
If you want to spend the feats, Troll Blooded (Dragon #319) + Tireless (PGtF) will give you legit regeneration with no drawbacks.
Frenzied Berserker fits Sabertooth pretty well.

WeaselGuy
2014-07-16, 03:33 PM
Hmm... Had to rework a little of it, but I think I have it figured out now...

CN Feral Human Bear Totem Barbarian 6/Frenzied Berzerker 10/Warblade 1/Fist of the Forest 3

Flaw - ?? to gain Troll Blooded
Flaw - Uncontrollable Rage to gain Tireless
Totem Level 1 - Toughness
Human - Power Attack
1 - Cleave
Totem Level 2 - Improved Grapple
Totem Level 3 - Great Fortitude
3 - Destructive Rage
6 - Intimidating Rage
9 - Improved Unarmed Strike
12 - Reckless Rage
15 - ??
18 - ??

Edit - How would taking Shaky Vulnerable as a flaw (-1 to AC) sound, and grabbing Robilar's Gambit at 15? I mean, this guy probably doesn't care if his AC goes down by 1 moire point...