PDA

View Full Version : Level Up Changes

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-16, 11:20 AM
I heard before that as you level up you can change one aspect of your character such as a class feature choice (example: Changing the fighter from an archer style to a two weapon fighter style).

I'm starting to look in the basic PDF, does anyone know if this rule is in said PDF or is it in the starter set (which I don't have yet)?

Or is this something my mind made up?

Thanks.

Yorrin
2014-07-16, 01:37 PM
This was posted in an article on the WotC site in regards to organized play, iirc. It's not in Basic. And even then it only applied up to 5th level.

m4th
2014-07-17, 10:06 AM
It's part of the officially sanctioned Adventurer's League.

Basically, if your group is running the "official" release content, Adventurer's League lets you freely move your character from one group to another, since all Adventurer's League groups will be running the same content. What you heard about changing your character is that at any time, you can completely rework your character from the ground up: change race and class, change skill selection, whatever. Once you hit 5th level, your DCI number is locked into that character for the Adventurer's League, and they expect you to stick with that character until it dies.

Incidentally, Adventurer's League is running the Basic Set adventure right now, Mines of Phandelver, which is an excellent title. If they continue releasing adventures of that caliber I could very easily imagine 5th edition becoming a roaring success.

obryn
2014-07-17, 10:31 AM
It's something you should pretty much allow, anyway, so long as it's not done abusively.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-17, 10:38 AM
It's something you should pretty much allow, anyway, so long as it's not done abusively.

Oh yeah, I've always allowed these sorts of changes.

I just wasn't sure if it was going to be in the PHB or what.

Thanks y'all.

akaddk
2014-07-17, 04:35 PM
As a DM I only allow changes to characters the old fashioned way.

DM: Ooh! Natural 20!