PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder So SKR has a new kickstarter.

Snowbluff
2014-07-16, 03:15 PM
It's about witch folk spells. And practical magic that adventurers wouldn't use. Also, the noncasters can use some of the stuff.
(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seankreynolds/sean-k-reynolds-presents-goody-whites-book-of-folk?ref=discovery)
The practical magic. That adventurers wouldn't use. :smalltongue:

EDIT: I am REALLY disappointed that he didn't introduce himself as "Sean K Reynolds" in the video. The K makes a difference.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-16, 03:33 PM
I've quickly skimmed through the KS page, but I don't see a reason for why he's going the crowd funding route. I mean, 29 spells/rituals/hexes doesn't seem like a ton of content and he's going to be selling a PDF right? For like $60 / month you can get a personal copy of Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign which would be the basic tools you'd need for a decent looking PDF.

Am I missing something here?

Snowbluff
2014-07-16, 03:35 PM
That's true. Who needs so much $$$ to fund such a small PDF?

I mean, I'm not even opposed to the idea of the book, but it's so useless. D:

Ssalarn
2014-07-16, 03:48 PM
It looks like he's trying to get more of his materials into actual brick and mortar stores, so my guess would be that the project includes enough creating enough physical stock to sell copies to local gaming stores.

Maybe this is a first step towards transforming SKR games into a self-sustaining business instead of an outlet for his materials that don't fit well into established product lines?

Hamste
2014-07-16, 04:09 PM
I wish that it was more about spells that non-adventurer casters could use on a day to day basis instead of folk spells. It might have more useful spells but if curing warts is by any means the measure of the rest of the spells it seems pointless. I mean what npc Cleric in their right mind would even bother with the ability to cure warts? They might do it once every year or something but most of the time they will prepare spells that are actually useful to them like diagnose disease or read weather (With Cure light wounds probably being use more often). I am kind of the curious about how the rituals are going to work though.

HammeredWharf
2014-07-16, 04:33 PM
This sounds like something you don't need a book for. If I really wanted to make warts a part of my campaign, I could make them a curse or DM fiat.

DrDeth
2014-07-16, 05:27 PM
Looks fun, I backed it.:smallwink:

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-16, 05:36 PM
Players may not use it, but seriously - what DM doesn't want to give warts to players occasionally?

137beth
2014-07-16, 06:59 PM
EDIT: I am REALLY disappointed that he didn't introduce himself as "Sean K Reynolds" in the video. The K makes a difference.

The "K" stood for nonionized internet Potassium, which causes forum threads in which he is mentioned to explode.
But now that he has left Paizo and completely reversed many of his longest held positions, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?355141-SKR-agrees-that-realism-ends-at-6th-level!) he is no longer explosive, so the "K" has disappeared!

More seriously, I'm guessing the reason he is doing it as a kickstarter is to gauge how big to make it via stretch goals. The minimum funding goal is something he could probably do without a kickstarter, but he doesn't want to go bigger unless he has guaranteed sales.