PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Races?

malonkey1
2014-07-16, 04:30 PM
Alright, we all know about those boring old races that everybody plays, like Human, Elf or Kobold, but out of all the races, there are also some really eff-star-star-star-ing weird ones (lookin' at you, Dvati). Of all these bizarre races in 3e, 3.5, or Pathfinder, which is your favorite, to play or to interact with, for fluff or for crunch?

Among of the ones I like are the Anthropomorphic Animal races (mostly because it allows me to sneak Looney Tunes characters into campaigns I run without needing to homebrew), as well as the Tibbit, simply because the concept is so novel, and it's one of the few races with natural shapeshifting and no LA (limited as it may be).

WeaselGuy
2014-07-16, 05:00 PM
I'm a fan of Half-Drow for fluff, I just love the concept. For crunch, especially on a caster and with the stats my group uses, Lesser Tiefling and Lesser Aasimar are extremely hard to beat. We use 12, 13, 14, 16, 16, 18 for our characters in 3/4 of our campaigns. This array with those two races can give 3 18's. Talk about some gish action! Why yes, I would love to play a Tiefling Wizard/Swashbuckler/Gish-of-Choice with 18 Int, 18 Str and 18 Con. Or an Aasimar Wizard(or Warlock, or Shadowcaster)/Ur-Priest/Theurge-of-Choice with 18 Int or Cha, 18 Wis and 18 Con.

Granted, as I said, this is mostly due to my group's stat arrays, but still. Lesser Planetouched are awesome. Half-Drow are fun to play around with. And +1 to Tibbit, my wife's favorite race!

gorfnab
2014-07-16, 05:11 PM
Beguilers (Shining South) make fairly decent Beguilers (PHBII). Otherwise they can be very amusing as natural attack based builds (ie. Ling Ling (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1276.0)). Fluffwise they are great fodder for Pokemon (they look like grey Pikachus) or Narnia jokes.

Agent 451
2014-07-16, 05:11 PM
Definitely have to go with Sparrow Hengeyokai.

Hazrond
2014-07-16, 05:28 PM
I agree with the OP, tibbits are my FAVORITE oddball race, I love the shapeshifter subtype for 0 la and you get an awesomely versatile stealth form as well? I just love it, plus how many other 0 la races qualify for warshaper AND handle humanoid without needing too much shenanigans?

A Tad Insane
2014-07-16, 05:37 PM
I've often debated whether I should play a spellscale or not, because it's basically what happens when you combine the psyche of a human, gnome and kobold in one barely functioning mess. It's also a la 0 half dragon, basically

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 05:40 PM
I've often debated whether I should play a spellscale or not, because it's basically what happens when you combine the psyche of a human, gnome and kobold in one barely functioning mess. It's also a la 0 half dragon, basically

It's also one of the few things that are LA +0 that has a boost to charisma. That's why I like them.

thethird
2014-07-16, 05:44 PM
I'm a fan of the Elan fluff myself. I personally love to brew the Elan ritual into other races.

Shining Wrath
2014-07-16, 05:48 PM
I am unaware of any race with either a single or a triple male gonad.

Perhaps in Book of Erotic Fantasy?

Actually reads OP

Hmmm. Does adding Dragonborn template count as oddball?

Spellscale appeals to me sometimes.

some guy
2014-07-16, 05:58 PM
I like kenku, ratfolk and frogfolk. I imagine a lot of humanoids have the same movements as humans, I figure these races move quite differently.

I'm also thinking of homebrewing a lobsterfolk and slugfolk, to have some really alien mindsets available for pc's (but not as alien as abberations).

tadkins
2014-07-16, 06:20 PM
I think playing an awakened animal of any kind would be pretty oddball, and fun.

Genth
2014-07-16, 06:43 PM
Wayangs, from pathfinder. As my group calls my Wayang Character; "It's like a (more) terrifying Dobby"

Palanan
2014-07-16, 06:45 PM
I do like the notion of the half-drow, but I also have a soft spot for hybsils, from Monsters of Faerun--essentially halfling centaurs.

And killoren could be interesting if there was more support for them.

Coidzor
2014-07-16, 07:15 PM
Jaebrin are kinda neat, though I've never played one. I had a friend play one with some mild refluffing to be more like a Jägermonster from Girl Genius, so that's probably also clouding my recollection of the race, exactly.

Kantolin
2014-07-16, 08:09 PM
I like goblins, but they're not the most uncommon of options.

Killoren from the Races of the Wild are pretty nifty as well, though, and I hardly see anyone mention them.

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 08:18 PM
I like goblins, but they're not the most uncommon of options.

Killoren from the Races of the Wild are pretty nifty as well, though, and I hardly see anyone mention them.

Goblins are uncommon in that their stats kind of suck. It's a pity. I made a few variants of them so they'd see actual play in my group. One even had an intelligence bump.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-16, 08:24 PM
Goblins. Love playing a slightly off balance, bundle of angry. Kinda hate the Cha penalty, but thats WotC for ya. Also Nezumi from OA are a lot of fun, especially if you have their support book from Rokugan. Gotta love having a 40 land speed base :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2014-07-16, 08:34 PM
Jermalines: really ugly, tiny fey. Also, really crappy stats, especially physical, but really high wisdom. Excellent druids.

Muckdwellers: tiny salamander-like creatures. pretty bad stats, except for high dex. Make good warlocks or rogues.

Shieldbunny
2014-07-16, 08:44 PM
I like Minotaurs. I once played a Minotaur paladin of Hieroneous who's mission was to convert the entire race. He went around challenging/defeating champions of minotaur gods, then using diplomancy on their now awed followers.

Edit: realized my phone put minitaur instead of minotaur. Fixed.

GameSpawn
2014-07-16, 09:06 PM
Hellbred (from Fiendish Codex II) are hands down my favorite race. I like them for flavorful reasons, but mechanically they're not half bad either, and enable a lot of interesting options. One of my favorite characters was a Hellbred (body) Barbarian/Paladin of Freedom/Hellreaver.

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 09:09 PM
I like Minitaurs. I once played a Minitaur paladin of Hieroneous who's mission was to convert the entire race. He went around challenging/defeating champions of minotaur gods, then using diplomancy on their now awed followers.

A minotaur paladin? Points for originality.

Coidzor
2014-07-16, 09:15 PM
Muckdwellers: tiny salamander-like creatures. pretty bad stats, except for high dex. Make good warlocks or rogues.

The reason Muckdwellers are awesome is that you can be a Muckdweller with a Muckdweller familiar. :smallbiggrin:

paperarmor
2014-07-16, 09:16 PM
I love me some Changlings. also the bug people from Dragon that get twf feats for "free".

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 09:18 PM
I love me some Changlings. also the bug people from Dragon that get twf feats for "free".

Changelings? Which ones, Dragon Magazine or Eberron? Either are pretty oddball, but still.

Shieldbunny
2014-07-16, 09:20 PM
A minotaur paladin? Points for originality.

Thanks. Took a lot of $$ to overcome that Cha penalty though.

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 09:22 PM
Thanks. Took a lot of $$ to overcome that Cha penalty though.

Sounds like. On the bright side, lots of strength boosts for the other end of paladin activity.

Necroticplague
2014-07-16, 09:24 PM
Also the bug people from Dragon that get twf feats for "free".

Diopsids? The ones that get to ignore DEX prereqs for the TWF feats?

malonkey1
2014-07-16, 09:28 PM
The reason Muckdwellers are awesome is that you can be a Muckdweller with a Muckdweller familiar. :smallbiggrin:

Alright, now I'm going to have to make a Frodo Baggins-style Muckdweller wizard who goes around adventuring with his childhood friend/familiar. Any tricks for tricking out a familiar? I don't want Jeffy to outgrow Jimbob too quick.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-16, 09:32 PM
Just make sure you have a TON of health, otherwise im pretty sure your familiar uses your BaB and Saves. Id recommend taking Abjurant Champion, even if you arent gonna gish.

Also i feel the need to point out that this whole idea is crazy, mad, insane and half cocked. Which is probably why i fully approve.

Necroticplague
2014-07-16, 09:59 PM
Just make sure you have a TON of health, otherwise im pretty sure your familiar uses your BaB and Saves. Id recommend taking Abjurant Champion, even if you arent gonna gish.

Also i feel the need to point out that this whole idea is crazy, mad, insane and half cocked. Which is probably why i fully approve.

Alright, now I'm going to have to make a Frodo Baggins-style Muckdweller wizard who goes around adventuring with his childhood friend/familiar. Any tricks for tricking out a familiar? I don't want Jeffy to outgrow Jimbob too quick.

Don't forget that since it has an LA, that also means that your Leadership cohorts and followers can be more Muckdwellers. With a high enough level or good enough CHA, you can be an entire tribe of muckdwellers. OUR MUDDY WATER SPIT SHALL BLOCK OUT THE SUN!

Hiro Protagonest
2014-07-16, 10:03 PM
I've never seen Tibbit's entry, but from what I gather they're basically cats that turn into humans. Which is cool and funny.

Also, Eberron (and maybe 4e) changelings. I particularly like the idea of a human with changeling abilities, which I got from one NPC in 4e's Dark Sun book.

Deicidal1
2014-07-16, 10:14 PM
Hellbred (from Fiendish Codex II) are hands down my favorite race. I like them for flavorful reasons, but mechanically they're not half bad either, and enable a lot of interesting options. One of my favorite characters was a Hellbred (body) Barbarian/Paladin of Freedom/Hellreaver.

I'm jumping on the hellbred bandwagon too, something about being a lawful good paladin that looks like a horrific demon just makes me giddy, the flavor is just way too good to pass up.

Also, the thri-keen and thri-ranx are really fun flavor-wise. Being a gigantic walking ant is certainly an experience.

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-16, 10:29 PM
What's the name of that race that's half dwarf and half badger? They're my favorite oddball race just cause I like picturing a dwarf sitting a badger down and saying, "Look here badger. I'm not gonna like this and you're not gonna like this but one way or another were gonna make a new warrior for this world. ONE WAY. OR THE OTHER!"

Snowbluff
2014-07-16, 10:30 PM
Beguilers (Shining South) make fairly decent Beguilers (PHBII). Otherwise they can be very amusing as natural attack based builds (ie. Ling Ling (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1276.0)). Fluffwise they are great fodder for Pokemon (they look like grey Pikachus) or Narnia jokes.
Yeah, these gusy.

Don't forget that since it has an LA, that also means that your Leadership cohorts and followers can be more Muckdwellers. With a high enough level or good enough CHA, you can be an entire tribe of muckdwellers. OUR MUDDY WATER SPIT SHALL BLOCK OUT THE SUN!

The Kishin got to these guys before me.

Next would be Tibbit. 3 natural attack as a cat. They qualify for [Feline] feats.

Marrulurk. 1 LA and 3 HD for good stats, sneak attack, and a cha based Death Attack.

The Human subraces Azurin and Silverbrow are great. They get either an essentia point or Dragonblood in exchange for the regular human's skill points.

BioCharge
2014-07-16, 10:47 PM
Also, the thri-keen and thri-ranx are really fun flavor-wise. Being a gigantic walking ant is certainly an experience.

I have to concur with the thri-kreen. Gotta love those Gythka double weapons. Not familiar with the thri-ranx, though. What's the difference between them and thri-kreen (if they're related) and where are they referenced?

Deicidal1
2014-07-16, 11:34 PM
I have to concur with the thri-kreen. Gotta love those Gythka double weapons. Not familiar with the thri-ranx, though. What's the difference between them and thri-kreen (if they're related) and where are they referenced?

Somehow I didn't realize it until now but the thri-ranx are actually a homebrew race (a really well-made one at that) that are essentially a souped-up thri-kreen. Here's a link to them http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Thri-Ranx_(3.5e_Race)

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-16, 11:52 PM
Somehow I didn't realize it until now but the thri-ranx are actually a homebrew race (a really well-made one at that) that are essentially a souped-up thri-kreen. Here's a link to them http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Thri-Ranx_(3.5e_Race)

Friends don't let friends use dandwiki

Deicidal1
2014-07-17, 12:21 AM

Yeah...just gonna go casually alter that particular character sheet and make it a thri-kreen. No harm no foul.

Back on track though, the para-genasi/genasi are fun and definitely not homebrewed.

Hazrond
2014-07-17, 01:28 AM
Yeah...just gonna go casually alter that particular character sheet and make it a thri-kreen. No harm no foul.

Back on track though, the para-genasi/genasi are fun and definitely not homebrewed.

i never could find the para-genasi, what book are they in?:smallconfused:

paperarmor
2014-07-17, 01:36 AM
Changelings? Which ones, Dragon Magazine or Eberron? Either are pretty oddball, but still.

Eberron I didn't know that they were in dragon magazine. Are they any differnt there?

Diopsids? The ones that get to ignore DEX prereqs for the TWF feats?

Yeah... I clearly haven't messed with them in awhile, but they make fun daring outlaws

Deicidal1
2014-07-17, 01:45 AM
i never could find the para-genasi, what book are they in?:smallconfused:

The real genasi are in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and the para-genasi are in the Player's Guide to Faerun

Dread_Head
2014-07-17, 06:33 AM
I really like Darfellan (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050805a&page=2) as they are basically killer whale people.

Tibbits, Changelings and Thri-Kreen are also awesome.

Sorc
2014-07-17, 06:39 AM
Thri-keen is a weird one, with four arms and two racial hd, naturally psionic, and weapon familliarity

Jeff the Green
2014-07-17, 10:59 AM
I second kenku. I'm playing a Kenku Beguiler/Incarnate (with a homebrew theurge), and though it doesn't make great use of his racial traits, they're a fun race.

I also like Illumians. They have their own early-entry technique that works with two spellcasting classes at once and have other abilities that make them awesome theurges.

malonkey1
2014-07-17, 11:38 AM

And these guys have just earned a place as a race in my setting.

atemu1234
2014-07-17, 02:30 PM

Eh, I see no harm in the stuff provided you check and see if it's borked first, and know that you're using homebrew. Just don't trust the SRD, basically.

Slipperychicken
2014-07-17, 09:30 PM
I throw my vote in for Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale.

atemu1234
2014-07-17, 09:41 PM
Eberron I didn't know that they were in dragon magazine. Are they any differnt there?

Completely. The Eberron ones are awesome, but the ones from Dragon Magazine are the Changelings from medieval lore, the children left to replace the ones stolen by the fey. One of my favorites, even if it is sub-par. No LA, though.

Necroticplague
2014-07-17, 09:46 PM
Another one that I like, though their ECL is a bit high to normally play:Sharn. Interesting fluff aspect is that every single one was, at one point, three separate creatures. And despite looking like something you'd normally kill on sight, and being so chaotic their regeneration is bypassed by law, their goals are actually pretty good: stop the really evil phaerimm from leaking into the world too much. And it helps that sharn are pretty much perfect for mystic theurge, since the qualify already, and their multiple actions let them get around the weakness a theurge normally has (tons of spell slots, no time to use them all). Synergize well with Multitasking, as well (since they have 9 arms). Good stat boosts all around, as well (though for ECL 9, they'd better).

Coidzor
2014-07-17, 09:46 PM
I really like Darfellan (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050805a&page=2) as they are basically killer whale people.

Tibbits, Changelings and Thri-Kreen are also awesome.

Darfellan are great. :smallbiggrin: I keep wanting to homebrew a more Shiftery variant of Darfellan since they've a similar origin, though.

atemu1234
2014-07-17, 10:18 PM
One of my favorites are a race from Races of Ansalon. Unfortunately, I'm AFB at the moment, so I can't tell you the name. All I remember is that they've got flaming wings and look like elves, and have one of the better racial substitution levels for monks.

ShurikVch
2014-07-18, 03:16 AM
Eberron I didn't know that they were in dragon magazine. Are they any differnt there? Technically, they can be in the Ponyfinder...