PDA

View Full Version : [E6] Ideas for Practical Optimization With Limited Resources

Jergmo
2014-07-16, 05:21 PM
Hello, Playgrounders.

I'm currently running a campaign that uses both E6 and the Generic Classes variant from E6, as well as Vitality/Wound Points and Spell Points, and I've been working on practically optimized builds for E6, with access being limited to the Complete Series, PHB1 and 2, and the environmental books (Dungeonscape, Cityscape, Sandstorm, Frostburn, etc.)

I was working on a Monk-esque build that would have been able to one-shot an entire battallion in one roundhouse kick, but it failed due to a misunderstanding of Whirlwind Attack. However, thus far my buddy has a build for a 6th level spellcaster, pre any bonus feats past 6, that throws out 9d6 fireballs with no extra spell points required and can throw out fairly deadly reserve fire blasts all day.

We also have a bizarre sort of evasion berserker that can take out overwhelming encounters by itself already at level 3.

Given these limitations, are there any builds the optimizers out there in the Playground can think of that are particularly powerful compared to what a basic 6th level character might be?

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 09:28 PM
Anything with spellcasting and evasion is pretty much going to smash face, as would most things with full base attack bonus and evasion. Flanking IS basically a cornerstone of D&D.

DeAnno
2014-07-17, 01:50 AM
For single target damage, you can get a lot of mileage out of Arcane Thesis + Combust/Lesser Orb of Fire/Scorching Ray on Wizard or Spellcaster. You run the Sandstorm fire feats, Empower, and build from there with more metamagic stacking post 6th level. You could even pump Fireball instead if you wanted, but limiting yourself to only using 3rd level slots in E6 is a bit ehhhhh, and there aren't really good 2nd level AoE seeds around (maybe write a second Thesis on it if you really want).