PDA

View Full Version : I love this game!

sideswipe
2014-07-16, 05:27 PM
so playground. we all love 3rd/3.5 and pathfinder.

but what moments have you experienced when you have just thought to yourself "I LOVE THIS GAME!" or something similar.

i would love to know.

Hazrond
2014-07-16, 05:31 PM

but what moments have you experienced when you have just thought to yourself "I LOVE THIS GAME!" or something similar.

i would love to know.

The moments i discovered, in order, 1. Tome of magic, 2. Tibbits, and 3. How to play a good spellcaster

sideswipe
2014-07-16, 05:36 PM
The moments i discovered, in order, 1. Tome of magic, 2. Tibbits, and 3. How to play a good spellcaster

makes sense. i had the same thing with true namers specifically.

kardar233
2014-07-16, 05:39 PM
I usually get those moments when I encounter something that's so strange and awesome I would never have thought of it, but because of the sprawling complexity of 3.5's ruleset it comes together.

Things like Gazebo Jones (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9823824&postcount=132).

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-18, 09:11 PM
When I discovered Arcane Hierophant. Honestly, there is little better way to describe me as a person, my proclivities, and my Int/Wis focus with druid magic...really, it's just perfect. The only sad thing is it is an explicit nerf from straight druid without some early entry stuff, so not particularly optimized, but still...the concept alone is pure win for me.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-18, 09:15 PM
The moment when you actually feel like you accomplished something in game, the first time for me was when i over threw a kingdom with an army of goblins. I felt so awesome.

KindOfGoodGuy
2014-07-18, 10:26 PM

i would love to know.

For me, it has to either be rolling 30 attack dice in a single turn due to a ton of eagles assaulting my enemies, or knocking out a troll and werewolf with a single color spray.

Pex
2014-07-19, 12:28 AM
Various game mechanics do it. Particular events of character awesomeness do it. However, for something more universal was with my old group. When I figured out the "meta-puzzle" of the adventure, the idea or concept the DM was trying to convey, he would smile in a certain way that confirmed I was right.

erok0809
2014-07-19, 04:28 AM
I enjoy the character creation, and then the best part of the game is when I can finally start playing a character I made, turning them from an idea in my head to someone with a personality that has actual conversations and adventures.

Gabrosin
2014-07-19, 07:04 AM
The look on my PCs' faces when they realize just how screwed they are.

Works every time.

marcielle
2014-07-19, 08:44 AM
The look on the other players' faces when they realize I'm a Nac Mac Feegle.

atomicwaffle
2014-07-19, 11:36 AM
(this applies either to DMing or playing) The moment when everyone gets into the game, not essentially combat. The DM is being descriptive, people are paying attention, notes are being passed, dice stacks are at a 4 or 5 and everyone's having a good time.

Also, in this day and age, it's good to get a solid 5 - 7 hours with no screen time except maybe for music playing in the background. My brother is 15, and he get's excited to play D&D. I'm dming, and its an awesome feeling.

When i'm playing in another group, that moment when i go "Welp, i'm dead" and the next day, i'm still alive.

Awesome feels all the time.

Socratov
2014-07-19, 11:45 AM
The moment I steal a ship, use its contents to buy myself gear, sail to a pirate island to tell the pirates that their agreed upon amount wasn't delivered by the state, causing a war between the pirates and a nation's navy. So as the pirates we crush the navy, I get a bunch of ships and I am being challenged by the pirate king to challenge his rule or die. that was when I loved this game. Sadly the campaign died out at that moment.

Immabozo
2014-07-19, 11:52 AM
The moment I two shotted an adult red dragon, at level 12, for 16D8 + 127 damage

Amphetryon
2014-07-19, 11:54 AM
The moment one of my players killed an adult white dragon, from its back, and managed to ride the corpse safely to the iced-over lake.

Wolfsraine
2014-07-19, 12:02 PM
When I dumped 4 chaos flasks turned into Megapede poison into a vat that was feeding brains to an Elder Brain at level 7 and did 37 con damage. We still managed to get out of the city alive as well!

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-19, 03:05 PM
An epic 2e/3e moment that I still recall was when my characters were fighting the lich wizard/political puppetmaster BBEG. The lich triggers his contingency, summoning two beatstick pit fiends to hold off our assault. At the end of round one, my drow fighter/wizard double crits on one of them, and the DM describes the resulting decapitation and fiendish bloodspray. First thing next round, my kender cleric/rogue whips out a scroll of banishment, pit fiend fails its rolls, and with guttural hissing in infernal is sent back to Ba'ator.

The look on my DM's face as most of the challenge in the climactic battle dies before getting off more than one attack. Priceless.

Almost as good as that time with the exploding death knight.

Vortenger
2014-07-19, 05:20 PM
DMing and describing the aftermath of the group's TPK during an Age of Worms run. The story may not have had a happy ending, but it was climactic and complete. The players feel like they went out like legends. Every player deserves that feeling. Years later we all still smile thinking about that campaign.

Last week when the DM of a different game took my character's backstory and rocked it hard to solve a metagame problem with an in-game solution. A disillusioned player regained interest in the game by becoming our skill monkey, and I got to trade my eidolon away. (yes, this makes me happy. I play a Summoner as Sorcerer (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VAc_eoV_uwQoRjxgaofIGyPcdwLgaCzVJbjynN3ONao/edit?pli=1#heading=h.xtn9qozhhmyg) build. Hooray for Celestial Commander!) Discovering that my eidolon was an aspect of a lesser deity that had been subtly manipulating me from the campaign's start (over a year ago) was the cherry on top.

Bacchanalian
2014-07-19, 05:29 PM
Probably because I've just started playing, but, well, starting to play. Getting the hang of RPing, losing my bit of self-consciousness, watching my wife lose her self-consciousness and start responding in character. The combat was fun too, but just the feeling of letting go and playing my character. By the time we wrapped up our first bit of play last night I wanted to go all night, and am already piecing together some stuff for my wife and I to play a basic campaign with two gestalt characters maybe starting at level 5 or something. We want to feed our cravings for more and once a week just isn't enough!