PDA

View Full Version : Caster Balance Fixes

Know(Nothing)
2014-07-16, 07:34 PM
I know this topic is as old as the hills, and I've already done a fair amount of research, but I'm looking for any systems or tweaks you can make to 3.5 to balance out the power gap between mundanes and casters at mid to high levels.

I'm working on a system of my own(already a hefty tome of a Google Doc) but the idea is to make relatively simple adjustment to existing rules that pump mundanes up to at least a relatively more balanced level.

Does anyone know of any good existing guides or handbooks for this?

eggynack
2014-07-16, 07:43 PM
The only fix that I know of, which fulfills both the requirements of simplicity and effectiveness, is the basic tier restricted game. Keeping only 2 and 3 gets you most of the things you'd want, with favored soul taking the cleric role that isn't as built into tier 3 as I would like. 3 and 4 is probably alright as well. Other ranges obviously exist, but you ideally want as small a range as possible, meaning either one or two tiers, and you want to get 3 in there, because it has the broadest variety of both archetypes and mechanics.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-07-16, 08:17 PM
Something like my Fixed List Caster project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?317861-Fixed-List-Caster-Project-%283-5%29&p=16545265#post16545265), perhaps? A dozen caster classes in the vein of the Beguiler or Warmage, all (theoretically) T3.

JusticeZero
2014-07-16, 11:11 PM
The only easy solution is to ban the classes entirely. It's not like there are no alternatives. The problem is non trivial to fix and is baked in deep. Any fix leaves the class more or less unrecognizable from the start point.

heavyfuel
2014-07-17, 12:47 AM
The only easy solution is to ban the classes entirely.

Yup, that's what I do and it works wonders. No tiers 1 and 2 at my table makes creating encounters and challenges so much easier.

If player wants to blast, go Warmage, wants to use illusions, Beguiler. These classes are the caster balance fix.

Teapot Salty
2014-07-17, 12:53 AM
The Philosophers Stone (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?210623-3-5-Magic-Remix-The-Philosopher-s-Stone) could be what your looking for.