PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Mastering the Perils of the Soul [Soulmelds]

Milo v3
2014-07-16, 08:24 PM
Okay, here are some additional soulmelds starting with magical beasts from the Environment supplements, so content below will reference spells and creatures from Frostburn, Sandstorm, and Stormwrack.

Ashworm Scarf
Branta Helm
Chekryan Gauntlet
Chilblain Belt
Crows Feet - Giant Raven
Dry Headdress - Camelopardel
Dunewinder Coat
Hammerclaw Bracers
Hippocampus Flats
Pack Cowl - Sand hunter
Seawolf Mask
Thunderbird Talons
Tlalusk Pauldrons
Toad Tights - Ice Toad
Ramfish ?
Sisiutl ?

Ashworm Scarf
Descriptors: None
Classes: Totemist
Chakra: Throat (totem)
Saving Throw: See below.
A transparent cable of chitin coils around your neck, over and over to the level it looks like you'd be suffocating, with the stinger tipped end of it hanging halfway down your back.

This soulmeld draws upon the ashworms desire and instinct to eternally swim through the dunes, granting you a burrow speed of 10 ft. that only works in sand, ash, dust, and even softsand (but not slipsand, packed dirt, or rock). This travel doesn't leave a tunnel.

Essentia: For every point of essentia invested in your Ashworm Scarf, the burrow speed increases by 10 ft.

Chakra Bind (Throat)
As the chitin lowers from your neck it slowly thickens until the stinger is that of an immense scorpion.
You gain a sting natural attack that deals 1d6 piercing damage and inflicts poison. The statistics of the poison are; Injury, Fortitude DC 10 + 1/2 Soulmelder Level + Constitution modifier, initial and secondary damage 2d6 Str.

Chakra Bind (Totem)
Upon stepping upon the sumran sands, the serpentine creature around your neck loosens until the stinger looks like it's only an inch away from the grains of silica.
While standing on sand, ash, dust, or softsand (but not slipsand, packed dirt, or rock), that is deep and empty enough to hold your volume, you gain the benefits of Improved Evasion. When improved evasion is used in this way you instantly burrow into the material your standing upon enough to contain your entire body.

Dry Headdress
Descriptors: None
Classes: Totemist
Chakra: Brow (totem)
Saving Throw: None.
Two long curving horns sprout from your brow, dust seems to be constantly drifting from their tips.

This soulmeld draws upon the unicorns of the wastes, camelopardel to grant protection from dryness. With this soulmeld you don't suffer from dehydration.

Essentia: If you invest essentia in your dry headdress, it protects you from desiccation damage. You gain resistance to desiccation equal to 5 times the number of points of essentia you invest in this soulmeld.

Chakra Bind (Brow)
Instead of dust drifting from the tips of your horns, every now and then you can see droplets of rain.
Everyone within 30 ft. radius gains resistance to desiccation equal to the amount you are currently gaining from this soulmeld.

Chakra Bind (Totem)
Slips of sand constantly stir around the tips of this soulmelds horns.
As a standard action you may cause a Halo of Sand (Sandstorm) effect, this functions as the spell with your meldshaper level being your caster level. After being used, this ability can only be used again 5 round after the spell effect ends.

Hipster Dixit
2014-07-17, 02:04 AM
They are pretty good, I don't think there is need for PEACHing, at least until more of them are posted. Just two nitpicks:

You gain a stinger natural attack

In the SRD this is usually referred as sting natural attack.

Halo of Sand

You may want to specify that this spell comes form Sandstorm.

Milo v3
2014-07-17, 07:03 AM
In the SRD this is usually referred as sting natural attack.

Ok.

You may want to specify that this spell comes form Sandstorm.
I didn't expect it was necessary since sandstorm is one of the environment books, but I guess I should.

Fizban
2014-07-17, 08:05 AM
This soulmeld draws upon the ashworms desire and instinct to eternally swim through the dunes, granting you a burrow speed of 10 ft. that only works in sand, ash, dust, and even softsand (but not slipsand, packed dirt, or rock). This travel doesn't leave a tunnel.
Makes sense, though since their burrow speed does work in dirt I was expecting a bind to remove the limitation.

Chakra Bind (Throat)
As the chitin lowers from your neck it slowly thickens until the stinger is that of an immense scorpion.
You gain a sting natural attack that deals 1d6 piercing damage and inflicts poison. The statistics of the poison are; Injury, Fortitude DC 10 + 1/2 Soulmelder Level + Constitution modifier, initial and secondary damage 2d6 Str.
I assume the reason you made it throat and throat bind rather than the expected waist for stingers and totem bind for the natural wepaon is so it wouldn't match the Purple Worm Belt. Regardless, the poison DC should use the same formula as all the other soulmelds. The poison strength on the other hand is good, actually almost worth the massive level that throat binds require.

Chakra Bind (Totem)
Upon stepping upon the sumran sands, the serpentine creature around your neck loosens until the stinger looks like it's only an inch away from the grains of silica.
While standing on sand, ash, dust, or softsand (but not slipsand, packed dirt, or rock), that is deep and empty enough to hold your volume, you gain the benefits of Improved Evasion. When improved evasion is used in this way you instantly burrow into the material your standing upon enough to contain your entire body.
I assume you upped it to Improved evasion because the totem slot is supposed to be pretty valuable and it's only useable in certain areas, seems reasonable.

Chakra Bind (Totem)
Slips of sand constantly stir around the tips of this soulmelds horns.
As a standard action you may cause a Halo of Sand (Sandstorm) effect, this functions as the spell with your meldshaper level being your caster level. After being used, this ability can only be used again 5 round after the spell effect ends.
I'd be careful here. The duration of that spell is 10 min/level so it's always gonna be up, and IIRC deflection is a bonus type Totemists can't usually get. They've already got plenty of AC so think carefully if you want to allow them even more.

Will check back for more soulmelds. Totemist is definitely the easier one to brew for, they almost write themselves. Incarnate on the other hand has no serious guidelines so you just want to give them everything and the class is so weak (I've read how to optimize their one niche and I don't consider it worthwhile) that I just want to give them arbitrary upgrades. "Beam cannon, does lots of damage of whatever type you want because Incanates need something to do." I did lose steam on my Totemist melds after I tried to do the swarm one and realized it was gonna be boring no matter what.

Milo v3
2014-07-17, 08:47 AM
Makes sense, though since their burrow speed does work in dirt I was expecting a bind to remove the limitation.
If I did make a bind to remove it, it'd have to be one of the higher level chakras since at low levels burrowing can be a perfect defense by just going underground.

I assume the reason you made it throat and throat bind rather than the expected waist for stingers and totem bind for the natural wepaon is so it wouldn't match the Purple Worm Belt. Regardless, the poison DC should use the same formula as all the other soulmelds. The poison strength on the other hand is good, actually almost worth the massive level that throat binds require.
The reason was actually just flavour, I like scarves and hate belts so getting a living scarf with a stinger sounds cooler to me :smalltongue:

Will fix that DC.

I assume you upped it to Improved evasion because the totem slot is supposed to be pretty valuable and it's only useable in certain areas, seems reasonable.
To be honest, I made it Improved Evasion because that's what it "effectively" is for the Ashworm, just turned out to fit the balance relatively well by luck.

I'd be careful here. The duration of that spell is 10 min/level so it's always gonna be up, and IIRC deflection is a bonus type Totemists can't usually get. They've already got plenty of AC so think carefully if you want to allow them even more.
Might increase the wait duration or try and find a different sand spell.