PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite mechanically entertaining build that's not horribly broken?

RFLS
2014-07-16, 09:03 PM
As title. For instance, I was introduced to the Storm Knight (https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.wizards.com%2Fconte nt%2Fforum-topic%2F3429956&h=LAQG0d0_b) the other day. Highly entertaining, probably fairly effective, and not smashing the game into itty bitty pieces.

paperarmor
2014-07-16, 09:09 PM
I like the irony of a Daring Outlaw build that takes Craven. Mechanically sound, thematically wonky.

IAmTehDave
2014-07-16, 09:19 PM
I'm actually working on running a Barbarian/FotF/Deepwarden/Bear Warrior myself. Full attack with unarmed strikes, then claw+claw+bite and improved grab. If it were allowed, I'd have Barb4/Unarmed Swordsage 1/FotF 3/Deepwarden2/Bear Warrior 5/Swordsage 5
Swordsage, of course, focusing on boosts, counters, and movement stuff.

I worked out the math: if you get the 3.5 Knockdown feat, you can do a 10-hit combo. (Trip, post-trip free attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Snap Kick, claw, bite, claw, grab) 11-hit with haste active.

Also, I really like concept of the hellreaver prestige class. Been looking to fit it into a fighter-type at some point.

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 09:23 PM
I once made a paladin 5/Grey guard 10. My favorite character. Not exactly a build, but still my favorite.

Shieldbunny
2014-07-16, 09:33 PM
The TWF Dervish build. Tiefling Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 2/Dervish 10/Tempest 4, or same with human and tempest 5. Use scimitars, pump int for skill/damage, dex to stay alive, str just because, and throw on elusive target for laughs.

Der_DWSage
2014-07-16, 09:49 PM
A Vow-Of-Nonviolence/Peace Beguiler. There's just something that amuses me about a spellcaster whose every move is to take you down or turn you against yourself, but in the least damaging way possible.

Deicidal1
2014-07-16, 10:07 PM
Any high level ToB class, those maneuvers never get old. My personal favorite build is a crusader 10/hellreaver 10, you become an unstoppable force and an immovable object.

Thiyr
2014-07-16, 10:12 PM
I did enjoy the build stub i saw over in the Collateral Damage thread, commoner 4/dragonmarked heir 4, letting you drop tornados 1/day. I mean, you're smashing the game WORLD into itty bitty pieces, but still. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, HOUSECAT?

As far as full builds, I've always had a soft spot for Fistbeard Beardfist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?116838-Fistbeard-Beardfist) in his classic form.

I'm also down with Hood (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1659301)

I've also recently become a fan of Ranger 1 warblade 4 Revenant Blade 5 Eternal Blade 10.

abadguy
2014-07-17, 12:35 AM
The most fun I had with a ToB character was undoubtedly the large-sized lockdown Crusader with swift action spell casting (combination of Cleric, Crusader, Ordained Champion and RKV).

Another fun build to play was Factotum/Chameleon. Too many options, too little Inspirations Points :P

Immabozo
2014-07-17, 01:21 AM
War Hulk. +2 STR every level and a 0 BAB progression, but the class gives the ability to hit multiple squares per swing. With the availability of things to increase BAB (skilled weapon enchant, Divine Power, etc) the build get pretty fun and can control the battlefield in melee incredible well, if built right

IAmTehDave
2014-07-17, 03:00 AM
War Hulk. +2 STR every level and a 0 BAB progression, but the class gives the ability to hit multiple squares per swing. With the availability of things to increase BAB (skilled weapon enchant, Divine Power, etc) the build get pretty fun and can control the battlefield in melee incredible well, if built right

I want to build a Goliath (Or Warforged Juggernaut) War Hulk + Hulking Hurler.

And yes, I want a natural weapon totemist in the party with me, why do you ask?

Thanatosia
2014-07-17, 03:01 AM
I'm a huge sucker for Mystic Thurges, esp Spontaneous ones (Sorceror/Favored Soul).

Immabozo
2014-07-17, 03:22 AM

War Hulk and hulking hurler are like 2/3rds of a TO build. With only a little more opt-fu, you will have an EXTREMELY effective character

torrasque666
2014-07-17, 03:27 AM

Oh god....

See if your DM will allow you to retrain base classes with PrCs. Retrain 3 levels of fighter(or whatever you used to get the 5 BAB) for Hulking Hurler. Get item of Augmented Expansion. Find a way to Poly to Charger. You're now Gargantuan sized. Using the Charger's STR of 20, the extra 20 from War Hulk, 5 from levels, 5 from tome, 6 from Belt... STR of 60(+25 mod) and a light load of 272384 lbs. Overburdened Heave trick lets you toss up to Medium load of 544768 lbs or 272.384 tons. I think most buildings would be valid targets for you to throw then. Note to self, see if current DM will allow me to swap out my fighter levels for Hulking Hurler.

Dungeoncrasher would deal 64 damage on average. What was the feat chain to bounce people in front of you again?

Vaz
2014-07-17, 04:41 AM
Why bother with asking the DM to retrain anything, just take a level of Cancer Mage.

But this is not the "not horribly broken" - and a hulking hurler+warhulk is hardly "broken". Strong, yes, but it's only a mundane.

As for builds I like - Shadow Pouncing in conjunction with Bloodstorm Blade, Gatling Trippers, Wu Jen Wood-based Casters, and Druids focused on the weather (as opposed to summoning).

Immabozo
2014-07-17, 05:03 AM
Why bother with asking the DM to retrain anything, just take a level of Cancer Mage.

But this is not the "not horribly broken" - and a hulking hurler+warhulk is hardly "broken". Strong, yes, but it's only a mundane.

As for builds I like - Shadow Pouncing in conjunction with Bloodstorm Blade, Gatling Trippers, Wu Jen Wood-based Casters, and Druids focused on the weather (as opposed to summoning).

I've seen a war hulking hurler build that got upwards of 1,00,000d6 damage. Anything in TO territory is broken.

AMFV
2014-07-17, 05:25 AM
I've seen a war hulking hurler build that got upwards of 1,00,000d6 damage. Anything in TO territory is broken.

1 Million D6 damage isn't even close to what you can get with a hulking hurler...

I would argue that what horribly broken is varies too much from table to table to even really have this discussion. For example one might play at a table where an Ubercharger is extremely broken, and then there might be a table where it's just fine. Broken is hardly a hard and fast definition.

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-17, 05:34 AM
A neat build I thought up today requires gestalt to be viable, but is so much fun to visualize. Raptoran Scout2/Ranger8//Factotum10 Focusing on Flyby Attack and the Dimensional Jaunt Reserve feat. Jump into the air and teleport about, reappearing to loose an arrow and then disappearing again. At the end of your move action, you reappear in the air, rinse, and repeat. OR you could teleport up high and fire, then dive and attack on your next turn, then teleport back up to do it again. :smallbiggrin:

Immabozo
2014-07-17, 05:37 AM
1 Million D6 damage isn't even close to what you can get with a hulking hurler...

It's been a while since I read it. That's why I said upwards of.

Vaz
2014-07-17, 06:13 AM
Congratulations to the hulking hurler. It has been able to achieve a no save, just die effect. Provided it can of course see something throw at, and the target doesn't have miss chances.

Of course, casters have been doing that for a good few levels now, and have a access to tons of ofher tricks, like Lesser Planar Binding a Nightmare, or the Save Game Trick, delay death+beastlands ferocity etc.

HP damage above a certain number is not broken. Being able to deal ni/arbitrary damage is cool and all, but if you are only facing 800hp dragons, then there isnt much point.

Plus, any DM who runs that hulking hurler, if they 'pick up the planet', they do a handstand and throw themselves a millions miles an hour backwards.

Amphetryon
2014-07-17, 06:30 AM
At present, my two favorite builds are both Dread Necromancer-based: DN 8/Crusader 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10, and DN 8/Binder 2/Anima Mage 10. They're both versatile, varied, and interesting, in my opinion.

Answers subject to change without notice.

dysprosium
2014-07-17, 10:21 AM
I'm currently working on a build that would encompass all of the ideas of the knight in shining armor style of play.

LG warforged Crusader 4/Paladin 6/Knight 10

The levels of Crusader are spaced out in the build itself to give the most effective maneuvers (Levels 1, 8, 15, and 20).

Jeff the Green
2014-07-17, 10:55 AM
There's the goddamn-it-I-need-a-catchy-name-for-this-build-because-I-suggest-it-often-enough evil kitty: CE Tibbit Soulborn 2/Stoneblessed (goliath) 3/Spirit Lion Totem Goliath Barbarian 1/Warshaper 5/Totemist 2/Totem Rager 7.

Giant betentacled kitty who wants nothing more than to eat you. Soulborn prevents you from taking the normal -8 penalty to Strength when you become a cat and Goliath Barbarian makes you large when you rage. The rest of the build focuses on getting a bunch of natural weapons to pounce with. Not the most versatile build, but an entertaining one.

I also like a build I was going to submit to the second Junkyard War was Sha'ir 4/Crusader 2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 1/RKV 7. (At least, until I realized he was literally incapable of casting healing spells. And I realized it after I'd completed the entry. :smallannoyed:) It takes advantage of the fact that Sha'ir is both arcane and divine, and so is one of the only ways to get both Abjurant Champion and Ruby Knight Vindicator. It also happens to be a good match for Isaac of Golden Sun, which is how I fluffed it.

Finally, I like anything that starts with Changeling Wizard 5, using Racial Emulation to get the 1st- and 3rd-level elf substitution levels and getting the changeling 5th-level substitution level. You get a doubled bonus from your familiar that you can swap around at will. Fighting a Dread Witch? Horned Lizard. Plague-bearing undead? Rat. On watch? Lemming. After that you can take racial PrCs, though there aren't a lot of good ones.

Immabozo
2014-07-17, 11:35 AM
Congratulations to the hulking hurler. It has been able to achieve a no save, just die effect. Provided it can of course see something throw at, and the target doesn't have miss chances.

A hulking hurler can attack a square, I believe. So miss chance would be irrelevant, I do believe, assuming the hulking hurler took that multiple choice class feature.

Vaz
2014-07-17, 11:43 AM
It isn't a splash weapon, which unless it was a custom glass vial the size of the planet loaded with poison. You also have to target that square, and you cannot always see it meaning you cannot target it.

chainer1216
2014-07-17, 11:55 AM
my favorites would be the Azurin psychic warrior who spent his/her bonus feats on ToB feats and his normal ones on incarnum feats, its a warrior who has mastered the use of the mind, body and soul!

the second is a Warforged Spell Shield, Stalwart, Battle Sorcerer.
warforged stalwart(CM) battle(UA) sorcerer 10 w/spell shield(dungeonscape)

stats
Str:18(16)
Dex:14
Con:22(18)
Int:14
Wis:14
Cha:20(18)**

HP: 142

saves
Fort: 9
Ref: 5
Will: 9

AC: 15

BAB: 7/2

attack: greatsword +15/+10 2d6+9 plus slam +7 1d4+2

1st: power attack
Alt: M.W.prof. greatsword and longbow, W.F. greatsword
3rd: somantic weaponry
6th: Arcane Strike
9th: improved fortification

spells per day
lvl0:5
lvl1:7
lvl2:6
lvl3:6
lvl4:5
lvl5:3

spells known:
0(8):
1(4):repair light damage, grease, featherfall, identify
2(3):wraith strike, invisibility, resist energy
3(2):repair serious damage,fly
4(1):animate dead
5(1):teleport

gear: 7k left
belt of +2str/+4con
+2 amulet of cha
+3 greatsword
its a caster that thinks its not a caster! its got all sorts of tricks to play around with, but in the end its still just gonna hit you in the face with a sword.

Segev
2014-07-17, 12:31 PM
Fun concepts I'd like to try one day (that aren't inherently broken):

Thrallherd who uses his low-level Believers as a decadent entourage of servants. Specifically, he gets carried around on a palanquin and manifests powers from there while his mid-level Believers sacrifice themselves to keep him safe.
Dread necromancer minionmancer who is a young teen. Thinks of the undead as his "friends," because he was a very lonely child, ostracized since he was sick as a small boy and never quite got over his negative-energy-tinged sickness (tomb-tainted soul). Very nice, if a bit shy. Doesn't get why people find him so creepy.
I currently have a PC whose cohort is a white wyrmling that is taking Dragonfire Adept and is slowly becoming a dragon of all colors (and none).
Dvati War Hulk. The Massive Swing class feature that lets them hit everything in melee reach obviates the question of whether the two get individual actions or not. Everything in reach of either is in reach of the War Hulk, so everything in their Large (or larger)-sized Spiked Chain reach is hit with every attack they make.
Enchanter/enchantress. Focus on Charm Person and Hypnotism at low levels to implant behaviors in people you can't Diplomance or Bluff. Use devoted hirelings to guard you against creatures immune to this.
Warblade with Leadership and an emphasis on White Raven.
Ubercharger with Leadership and followers who know Benign Transposition; use this so he can charge EVERY ROUND.

Thiyr
2014-07-17, 12:41 PM
There's the goddamn-it-I-need-a-catchy-name-for-this-build-because-I-suggest-it-often-enough evil kitty: CE Tibbit Soulborn 2/Stoneblessed (goliath) 3/Spirit Lion Totem Goliath Barbarian 1/Warshaper 5/Totemist 2/Totem Rager 7.

Giant betentacled kitty who wants nothing more than to eat you. Soulborn prevents you from taking the normal -8 penalty to Strength when you become a cat and Goliath Barbarian makes you large when you rage. The rest of the build focuses on getting a bunch of natural weapons to pounce with. Not the most versatile build, but an entertaining one.

I also like a build I was going to submit to the second Junkyard War was Sha'ir 4/Crusader 2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 1/RKV 7. (At least, until I realized he was literally incapable of casting healing spells. And I realized it after I'd completed the entry. :smallannoyed:) It takes advantage of the fact that Sha'ir is both arcane and divine, and so is one of the only ways to get both Abjurant Champion and Ruby Knight Vindicator. It also happens to be a good match for Isaac of Golden Sun, which is how I fluffed it.

Finally, I like anything that starts with Changeling Wizard 5, using Racial Emulation to get the 1st- and 3rd-level elf substitution levels and getting the changeling 5th-level substitution level. You get a doubled bonus from your familiar that you can swap around at will. Fighting a Dread Witch? Horned Lizard. Plague-bearing undead? Rat. On watch? Lemming. After that you can take racial PrCs, though there aren't a lot of good ones.

Need a name for a betentacled cat who wants to eat you? Why not Cathulu (pronounced however you want. I go for Ka-thoo-loo, but I'll accept Cat-hulu).Just find a way to sneak in some Soul Eater in there, though.

Also, you just reminded me. Any build that involves "Changeling" and "Warshaper". Seriously, such delicious build-neutral stuff in warshaper, now with the added benefit of always on!

Oh, and a build i was working on a while back, The Were-iest Were who Ever Were'd. Lycanthrope bloodline Quasilycanthrope Shifter warblade/stoneblessed/mountain rage barbarian/weretouched master/warshaper. Not only are you, for the first half of your life, three times over related to lycanthropes (but not actually one just yet!) but eventually you get to turn into one! And if you ignore the stupiddumblame errata on weretouched master, you get a solid str bonus as well! Basically, you're a furrier Hulk.

Immabozo
2014-07-17, 12:44 PM
It isn't a splash weapon, which unless it was a custom glass vial the size of the planet loaded with poison. You also have to target that square, and you cannot always see it meaning you cannot target it.

If you know what square he's in, you can target the square.

Fun concepts I'd like to try one day (that aren't inherently broken):

Thrallherd who uses his low-level Believers as a decadent entourage of servants. Specifically, he gets carried around on a palanquin and manifests powers from there while his mid-level Believers sacrifice themselves to keep him safe.

Thrallherds are horrible broken. If you cant destroy your game without any more optimization than Thrallherd, it is because you aren't playing to your potential.

Dvati War Hulk. The Massive Swing class feature that lets them hit everything in melee reach obviates the question of whether the two get individual actions or not. Everything in reach of either is in reach of the War Hulk, so everything in their Large (or larger)-sized Spiked Chain reach is hit with every attack they make.

Depending on the group, this may, or may not be horribly broken.

Ubercharger with Leadership and followers who know Benign Transposition; use this so he can charge EVERY ROUND.

again, depending on the table, this could be game shatteringly effective. Also depending on your exact degree of opt-fu

Segev
2014-07-17, 12:53 PM

Thrallherds are horrible broken. If you cant destroy your game without any more optimization than Thrallherd, it is because you aren't playing to your potential.

again, depending on the table, this could be game shatteringly effective. Also depending on your exact degree of opt-fu

The same can be said of "druid 20" or "wizard 20" or "cleric 20." The question presented was about "horribly" broken, not "great potential to be broken." I've not pulled TO out, here. I've just named some mechanically interesting things which need not be broken (though can be powerful).

shadow_archmagi
2014-07-17, 01:21 PM
I was really pleased with my Lawful Good Ardent/Incarnate/Soul Manifester. (DM okayed having an LG Incarnate)

Thematically, he had a really nice Mind and Soul thing going on. Mechanically, having psi-powers and soulmelds gave him a lot of versatility, but he was deliberately tooled never to outshine anyone. But when the wizard went down, he could throw psionic debuffs and blasts, and when the fighter needed a flanking buddy, he could pop Incarnate Weapon and Avatar for a nice magic weapon/armor.

Probably my favorite gish I've never made.

Aegis013
2014-07-17, 01:23 PM
I've been pondering using Spellsword's 4th level ability to Channel Spells and that it ignores the cast time of spells you channel to try to hit people with things like Ability Rip mid combat.

I've been looking for other awesome long-cast time spells that usually get ignored due to long cast time, but Ability Rip is the best/most interesting I've found so far.
I've also seen mention of afflicting the target with Wall of Fire via Spellsword's Channel Spell, which is quite a cool idea.

AMFV
2014-07-17, 01:25 PM

And that'll be really good as long as he has no other defenses and is vulnerable to hit point damage. Hulking Hurler is scary, but it's only damage, after all a Frenzied Berserker could kill it dead, and that's only another melee.

I would say that being able to play a Thrallherd without destroying the game is a testament to his potential rather than the other way around.

As with everything, a Shadowcraft Mage may be broken at one table and not at another. At one table building a moderately effective charging barbarian may break the game. It varies widely and horribly broken is too subjective to really get much out of it. Just try and figure out where the line between TO and PO is, then you'll see the arguments come out.

Immabozo
2014-07-17, 01:48 PM
The same can be said of "druid 20" or "wizard 20" or "cleric 20." The question presented was about "horribly" broken, not "great potential to be broken." I've not pulled TO out, here. I've just named some mechanically interesting things which need not be broken (though can be powerful).

The leadership feat is considered broken. This is Leadership on crack with no downsides. Also, one power (mind concert) gives you +10 ML, nigh every power, +10 save DCs and a buttload of extra power points and makes it super hard to kill you, when combined with thrallherd.

The roleplaying advantages of an enslaved army that never stops?

It is entirely a borked PrC

AMFV
2014-07-17, 01:52 PM
The leadership feat is considered broken. This is Leadership on crack with no downsides. Also, one power (mind concert) gives you +10 ML, nigh every power, +10 save DCs and a buttload of extra power points and makes it super hard to kill you, when combined with thrallherd.

At some tables. But if you compare it to certain other things it's not that powerful. Planar Shepard still blows it out of the water. A Spell to Power Erudite does as well. And we aren't even in TO builds, we're in out of the box classes. TO builds totally shatter it. Now a Thrallherd is very very likely too much for most games, but I won't hold that it's too broken for any table.

Hazrond
2014-07-17, 01:52 PM
Strong, yes, but it's only a mundane.

I had a DM who had a hulking hurler war hulk attack the person with the lowest AC in the party then rule that by shady wording in the ability it hit ALL of us automatically :smallfurious:, did i mention we were level 3 at the time?

AMFV
2014-07-17, 01:54 PM
I had a DM who had a hulking hurler war hulk attack the person with the lowest AC in the party then rule that by shady wording in the ability it hit ALL of us automatically :smallfurious:, did i mention we were level 3 at the time?

Abrupt Jaunt still beats that and it's available at level 1.

Segev
2014-07-17, 01:54 PM

Look, I get it, you consider it broken. You're not the OP, and even if you were, the topic still isn't "build that's not even potentially broken."

Thrallherd using his minions to self-glorify and be pampered is hardly uber-optimizing.

Forrestfire
2014-07-17, 01:56 PM
Probably not my favorite, but I'd like to, at some point, play a character optimized for manifesting powers through a psicrystal.

Psion 5/Psychic Warrior 2 -> whatever else

Needs human and flaws, but you can pick up 3 (level-ups) + 1 (human) + 2 (flaws) + 2 (psychic warrior) + 2 (psion) bonus feats, netting you ten total. The build takes Practiced Manifester (Psion), Psicrystal Affinity, and then Improved Psicrystal eight times. Your psicrystal is now treated as 15th-level, letting you channel powers through it at a range of a mile :smallbiggrin:

At level 13, your psicrystal also gets a free PLA off of your effective level hitting 21, and since it's got fifteen hit dice, you can recoup some of the feat investment through Feat Leech.

Lets you be an awesome scout/support caster, basically... on top of all the other Psion goodies.

Hazrond
2014-07-17, 01:58 PM
Abrupt Jaunt still beats that and it's available at level 1.

he threw an epic level character who was GOING to kill us at us at level 3 :smallfurious: there was no way to get around it, we walk into the room to find the guy we were supposed to kill for a quest, the door locked behind us, we see our target dead on the floor, and then THIS guy appeared and killed the entire party in ONE ATTACK :smallfurious:

Talionis
2014-07-17, 02:08 PM
he threw an epic level character who was GOING to kill us at us at level 3 :smallfurious: there was no way to get around it, we walk into the room to find the guy we were supposed to kill for a quest, the door locked behind us, we see our target dead on the floor, and then THIS guy appeared and killed the entire party in ONE ATTACK :smallfurious:

Did you deserve it? Next question, were you supposed to role play around it? Otherwise, yes... I'll say bad DM. But I'm not sure how this works with the OP's initial question.

Hazrond
2014-07-17, 02:12 PM
Did you deserve it? Next question, were you supposed to role play around it? Otherwise, yes... I'll say bad DM. But I'm not sure how this works with the OP's initial question.

1. we did not deserve it, we had only done 1 quest at this point, 2. there was no roleplay he just said we saw the guy then roll for initiative 3. yeah off topic, sorry :smallfrown:

Bloodgruve
2014-07-17, 02:30 PM
Cleric/Lawful Incarnate/Sapphire Hierarch.

Persisting Divine Power and the likes with Midnight Metamagic. Massive +hit with spells and soulmelds.

Cleric, even though its T1, feels bland to me. This build has some fun toys to add onto cleric casting.

Blood~

Norin
2014-07-17, 03:26 PM
At present, my two favorite builds are both Dread Necromancer-based: DN 8/Crusader 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10, and DN 8/Binder 2/Anima Mage 10. They're both versatile, varied, and interesting, in my opinion.

Answers subject to change without notice.

Very interesting.

Mind elaborating a bit on how you play these builds? What combos, spells, tricks and such do you use as each?

I like me some nice anima or gish based dn's.

SinsI
2014-07-17, 03:48 PM
Warlock 12/Chameleon 2/ Totemist 5/ Warshaper 1
Hideous Blow has additional house rule: can be used during Full Attack. Extra damage applies to first attack only, Eldritch Essense applies on every attack that hits.

Amphetryon
2014-07-17, 03:58 PM
Very interesting.

Mind elaborating a bit on how you play these builds? What combos, spells, tricks and such do you use as each?

I like me some nice anima or gish based dn's.

The short answer is they both function as debuffing gishes who can tip the scales of a battle toward the party by imposing penalties of various sorts on the enemy. My personal experience is that players notice your contribution more when your character affects the enemy than when your character 'merely' buffs or heals the party.

Forrestfire
2014-07-19, 05:25 PM
Oh yeah, another one I really like is a Binder/Warlock theurge. Warlock 2/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10/Hellfire Warlock 3/Legacy Champion 4 (progressing anima mage).

Warlocks technically qualify for Precocious Apprentice, letting you enter Anima Mage to progress both it and Binder. Depending on how you read the passage on Sudden Metamagic feats in Complete Arcane, it says that any metamagic that doesn't affect level can be used on SLAs. Vestige Metamagic for stuff like Twin Spell Eldritch Glaive sounds awesome, and applying Invisible Spell to eldritch blasts and the like is a pretty cool mental image. You don't really do anything other than point, and then someone just [I]dies/I].

In the end, you've got Invocations at CL 16, Binding at level 16, and hellfire + Naberius synergy built right in. Relies on some shaky RAW, but I think it's really cool.

Cuaqchi
2014-07-19, 05:38 PM
I can't remember any of the specifics; but, I had one character built on the hilarious quantity of sneak attack based feats out there. The net effect was that he could add his sneak attack to his AoO a number of times per round/day (can't remember which) along with the ability to both make an AoO when someone ended within melee reach as well as reactively get out of the way off the same trigger. Wasn't anywhere near TO but the fact that he could fight any ubercharger/melee bruiser and make a mockery of them with his dagger was priceless.

arclance
2014-07-19, 08:57 PM
My own build that is mechanically my favorite is this one.

Unarmed Swordsage 1/Hin Disciple Monk 2/Unarmed Swordsage +3/Fist of the Forest 3/Unarmed Swordsage +1/Warblade 1/Unarmed Swordsage +9

Race: Strongheart Halfling

Feats

Lv.1
Hit Die: Combat Reflexes
Stronheart Halfling Bonus: Shadow Blade
Swordsage: Weapon Focus (Shadow Hand Weapons)
Unarmed Swordsage: Improved Unarmed Strike
Flaw 1: Power Attack
Flaw 2: Great Fortitude

Lv.2
Hin Disciple Monk Bonus: Underfoot Combat
Hin Disciple Monk Bonus: Improved Unarmed Strike

Lv.3
Hit Die: Weapon Finesse
Hin Disciple Monk Bonus: Improved Trip

Lv.6
Hit Die: Open | Improved Natural Attack

Lv.9
Hit Die: Open | Snap Kick

Lv.12
Hit Die: Confound the Big Folk

Lv.15
Hit Die: Open | Knock-Down (Your DM may hate this use with caution)

Lv.18
Hit Die: Open | Robilar's Gambit

The build utilizes the feat "Confound the Big Folk" which allows a small or smaller creature to trip any creature two or more size categories larger than them as a opposed DEX or STR check (your choice) and the target is denied their size bonus to the check.
It has hillarious synergy with the throws from the "Setting Sun" school of maneuvers.
The Tarrasque would have a only a +3 (16 Dex) to that opposed DEX check.

The Hin Disciple Monk ACF is from the Champions of Valor Web Enhancement. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a)
The level of Warblade can be swapped with anything with Full BAB.

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-19, 11:51 PM
Halfling monk sub level 1/Master Thrower/some manner of throwing or slinging (usually need a favorable DM ruling to pull off the latter). I'd accept non-halflings to break the stereotype, but halfling monk 1 is a good way to get skirmish and 10' step in a single level dip, both of which work out nicely with a thrower/slinger.

Honestly, anything to play a decent slinger since watching Tatakau Shisho. I'm playing a sling-based savant in Exalted, but everything combat-related in that game seems to be hit-or-miss, so I wouldn't mind a D&D-based version of Hamyuts Meseta. Ah, yeah, that would be fun.

Coincidentally, I have found that T.G. Oskar's water monk from his monk fix does a pretty good sling. It's such a busy fix, though, that it is difficult for me to decide when (and if) to prestige out of it for Master Thrower (assuming a DM ruled sling to count as thrown). Or Rock-Throwing Champion.

Dimers
2014-07-20, 12:06 AM
Battle sorcerer who takes bunches of draconic feats from Complete Arcane and selects dragon-themed spells. Might be a decent gish, but definitely not broken in any way.

Exalted paladin of freedom / warlock / eldritch knight, refluffing warlock powers as chaotic or fey instead of grimdark. I like how the PoF's immunity to compulsion works for an extremely chaotic, extremely good character. Can take Obtain Familiar and Celestial Familiar for a little coure eladrin buddy. In a low-op group, this character could even take Vow of Poverty without becoming ineffective or unable to defend herself. I see this as an older female human (+2 all mental stats, -3 all physical stats), wild hair, crazy colorful clothes, something of an air of fae about her, inspiring/frightening and somewhat mysterious.

Requires some extra DM allowance, but ... psion 10 / oozemaster 10. It's from Masters of the Wild. If the DM says that psi is close enough for the casting prereq, you can make a very slimy ectoplasm-oriented manifester. Had a lot of fun selecting and refluffing powers for this one.

Halfling ranger-or-druid + animal lord + beastmaster + wild plains outrider + halfling outrider, the proud companion of Truffles the War Hog.

And I have a human racial paragon / wilder / iaijutsu master I like mostly for the backstory and character. The mechanical theme is pretty good, though -- she's a Mistress Of The Void, the space between elements. It's much more mechanically viable with ardent class and a permissive GM letting you homebrew a Void-oriented mantle or two.