PDA

View Full Version : Need help for feats on Gestalt Ranger/Fighter

Platymus Pus
2014-07-16, 09:14 PM
Currently I'm running a gestalt Ranger/fighter in a pathfinder/3.5 game.
Currently level 7 with the base stats of
10 str
33 dex
18 con
18 int
24 wis
14 cha
ini: 11
Fort: 13
Reflex: 18
Will: 11

AC 22
AoO Range 90'

Currently have
Combat reflexes
Clustered shots
pointblank shot
Rapid shot
deadly Aim
agile Maneuvers
Far shot (3.5)
Exotic weapon proficiency(Great crossbow)

and plan to get
Improved initiative
Improved Critical (Combat)
Weapon Focus
Dead eye
weapon specialization
Crossbow Sniper
Improved Crossbow Sniper
Ranged weapon mastery
Farshot(pathfinder)
rapid reload
impact critical shot

However this still leaves me with 7 free feats by level 20 and I can't think of anything else for a pure ranged attacker even after searching many many hours.
He gets wis and dex damage bonuses with a crossbow already with these feats.
So I need help finding some decent feats for my character.
Some to possibly boost his AC more dramatically or to give him even more punch endgame with his crossbow via feats.
3.0 feats are also possibly allowed so they may be mentioned as well.

Platymus Pus
2014-07-16, 09:51 PM
Make that 5 feats since I found 2 that mesh with the ones given, but still can't find anymore than that

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-17, 05:01 AM
The Great Crossbow is a really bad weapon compared to something like a Greatbow (CW) or just a (composite) longbow, considering it takes a full-round action to reload or a move-action with Rapid Reload, excluding any possibility of making multiple shots in a given round. The first thing you should do is retrain that EWP to a different feat, and use a better weapon. You can get an Elvencraft (Composite) Longbow with three Wand Chambers from Dungeonscape, wands take the same action to activate as the spell's casting time per Rules Compendium. With Rapid Shot from Ranger and a Wand of Swift Haste (SC), you can make four attacks per round at your current level.

Your build has nothing giving you extra damage to your shots. You have great ability scores, but very poor prioritization with them, especially since putting a 20+ on Str with a composite longbow would get you something like 4d8+28 damage per round (average 46) versus your pitiful single shot for 2d8 per round (average 9) with the Great Crossbow. That crossbow could be useful if you were using a Swift Hunter build, as your single shot would get +2d6 skirmish damage as a Scout 3/ Ranger 4// Fighter 7, but Travel Devotion and Rapid Shot would get you 3d8+6d6 damage per round with a bow. Barring Travel Devotion, you could make your final build go Scout 4/ Ranger 16// Fighter 4/ Psychic Warrior 16 with Hustle, since you don't need more than four Fighter levels to get Ranged Weapon Mastery.

Requiem_Jeer
2014-07-17, 05:42 AM
Do you have some means unseen to us now to reload your crossbow quick enough to make full attacks? Because your rapid shot feat implies you do.

Consider swapping 10 of your fighter levels for a prestige class. I'd need to do some looking around for good candidates, but it would be a good way of blowing those five feats: just don't get them at all.

Platymus Pus
2014-07-17, 11:01 AM
The Great Crossbow is a really bad weapon compared to something like a Greatbow (CW) or just a (composite) longbow, considering it takes a full-round action to reload or a move-action with Rapid Reload, excluding any possibility of making multiple shots in a given round. The first thing you should do is retrain that EWP to a different feat, and use a better weapon. You can get an Elvencraft (Composite) Longbow with three Wand Chambers from Dungeonscape, wands take the same action to activate as the spell's casting time per Rules Compendium. With Rapid Shot from Ranger and a Wand of Swift Haste (SC), you can make four attacks per round at your current level.

Your build has nothing giving you extra damage to your shots. You have great ability scores, but very poor prioritization with them, especially since putting a 20+ on Str with a composite longbow would get you something like 4d8+28 damage per round (average 46) versus your pitiful single shot for 2d8 per round (average 9) with the Great Crossbow. That crossbow could be useful if you were using a Swift Hunter build, as your single shot would get +2d6 skirmish damage as a Scout 3/ Ranger 4// Fighter 7, but Travel Devotion and Rapid Shot would get you 3d8+6d6 damage per round with a bow. Barring Travel Devotion, you could make your final build go Scout 4/ Ranger 16// Fighter 4/ Psychic Warrior 16 with Hustle, since you don't need more than four Fighter levels to get Ranged Weapon Mastery.
I can already make 4 attacks per round with haste.
Also the damage is 3d8+8 base for the greater crossbow I have since it's Large, every size increment for the greater crossbow adds 1d8, which then becomes 3d8+14 per shot with the equal to power attack deadly aim I get 30 BAB by level 20 I get +16 for -8 hit.
Later on this will become 3d8+26 at any range and 3d8+39 within 30 feet base damage no enchantments, with deadly aim this becomes 3d8+55, no enchantments.
I have Something like gravity bow makes it 4d8+8 right now for example.

I'm going crossbow for theme, I'm not asking for an optimized archer build.
Though the wand recommendation is nice I'm asking for feat recommendation.
I didn't get to pick and choose some of my stats.

Do you have some means unseen to us now to reload your crossbow quick enough to make full attacks? Because your rapid shot feat implies you do.

Consider swapping 10 of your fighter levels for a prestige class. I'd need to do some looking around for good candidates, but it would be a good way of blowing those five feats: just don't get them at all.

Yes, crossbow mastery, which I'm allowed to get early.

The time required for you to reload any type of crossbow is reduced to a free action, regardless of the type of crossbow used. You can fire a crossbow as many times in a full attack action as you could attack if you were using a bow. Reloading a crossbow for the type of crossbow you chose when you took Rapid Reload no longer provokes attacks of opportunity.
I can make 3 attacks per round and 12 possible AoO due to combat reflexes per round, it's kinda like snap shot but a lot better.
Not allowed to change the fighter class, I can only multiclass the class I started with ranger.
I probably would multiclass fighter otherwise.

Wolfsraine
2014-07-17, 11:34 AM
What's allowing you to make AoO with a ranged weapon?

Platymus Pus
2014-07-17, 11:44 AM
What's allowing you to make AoO with a ranged weapon?
Homebrew given by the GM from ingame training, the GM saw I was going to get snapshot and all it's feats
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/snap-shot-combat
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-snap-shot-combat
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-snap-shot-combat
15' AoO just from normal feats

He went ahead and gave me the ability to make AoO within half of my characters range if the enemy moves to save me some trouble, the enemy gets + 10 ac to dodge but must stop moving to help avoid the hits.
Too bad you can only make one AoO per enemy.
There are touches of homebrew here and there, but it's mostly legit as you can see since the GM likes sticking to things officially made for the most part. only homebrew thing I plan to get is crossbow sniper improved since the damage will scale with dex which will be likely crossing the 40+ mark at some point with equipment and books plus the feat given I just mentioned.

Platymus Pus
2014-07-17, 04:16 PM
Nevermind I'll probably just grab leadership feats