PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Stuck as being the group accountant...

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 09:17 PM
I'm DMing for a group of six people. Unfortunately, out of the six, four are completely green, and one has only ever been in one other campaign. Ever. The last one tries to help me, and generally (if he reads this) he is not the problem. The others are.

I'm stuck keeping track of everything. They play, and they aren't bad (I kind of expected to do most of the legwork because they were new) but unfortunately, they cannot maintain a character sheet. I have to keep track of them, and since we use a computerized pdf instead of handwritten character sheets, I have to type them up again and print them off before the next mission. Which is a huge pain in the d20.

How should I confront them about this?

Dalasio
2014-07-16, 09:27 PM
The next time that they do this don't update their character sheet, let them notice that stuff is missing. They should know to keep up with their character sheets then, if it was something remotely important.

atemu1234
2014-07-16, 09:31 PM
The next time that they do this don't update their character sheet, let them notice that stuff is missing. They should know to keep up with their character sheets then, if it was something remotely important.

This sounds pretty confrontational. I don't want to scare away the new players.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-16, 09:35 PM
Just tell them that you think they have played long enough that they can take care of their own sheets. I recall my first campaign, i took care of it myself, my DM just looked over it to be sure i wrote everything down right.

Dalasio
2014-07-16, 09:35 PM
This sounds pretty confrontational. I don't want to scare away the new players.
Hmm...I don't really know any ways other than just mentioning it to them then...

JusticeZero
2014-07-16, 09:45 PM
Put the sheets on the cloud, and then don't print them. Explicitly get one of the players to record things. Check the change log before games to make sure nobody is cheating. Then stop worrying about it. If things don't get recorded, they don't get recorded.

nedz
2014-07-17, 04:14 AM
You need to delegate this ASAP, DM's are overworked enough anyway.

prufock
2014-07-17, 06:43 AM
Are you using an auto-calculating sheet or just one into which you type stuff? If the latter, get the former.

Post a reproduction of the end of the "Class" chapter in the PHB that gives a step-by-step account of how to level up a character. Tell them to follow the step-by-step and ask you if they have any questions.

Trasilor
2014-07-17, 11:35 AM
I am sorry but D&D is not a video game where the bookkeeping is done for you. As a DM, stop doing this. You are actually hurting your players.

For your next session, I suggest printing out blank characters and have them fill it out (in pencil).

Then, inform them of a new table rule:

"If it is not on your sheet, you don't have it. As the game progresses, I suggest you write things down you find if you want to have them."

Tell them you are doing this to minimize confusion ("do I have X?")

At the end of the session - keep the character sheets. Now you will have them for next session.

If people want access to their character - use online storage repository - myth-weaver.com or obsidianportal.com for example. Both of these auto-calculate much of the character sheet.

Bookkeeping should not keep players away. If it does, you are playing the wrong game :smallfrown:

fishyfishyfishy
2014-07-17, 11:49 AM
I had this problem when I first started as DM. I had a mix of new players and lazy players. I explained to them that their only responsibility is their character and the DM has enough on their plate as is. The basic rule I enforce is that if you don't have it recorded in your sheet it doesn't exist. DM must always have an up to date copy of your sheet or it is not valid. It is the players responsibility to ensure both of these things are fulfilled. I offer my help with creation and I double check everything to make sure there are no mistakes. These are reasonable requests and if your players have problems with following this there is likely a deeper issue.

Psyren
2014-07-17, 11:54 AM
You need to delegate this ASAP, DM's are overworked enough anyway.

This. And use a carrot if you can. Whoever volunteers to do it gets extra gear or bonus XP or a cool "treasury vault" in the party HQ that they get to decorate or something.