PDA

View Full Version : DM Help General DM Questions

BioCharge
2014-07-16, 10:38 PM
Hi,

I may post more later as I think of them, but I could use some questions answered.

1. For a creature with multiple hit die, say, a Nymph's 6d6 + 6, does adding a hit die mean making it 7d6 + 6 or 12d6 +6? It seems like a simple answer and I'm leaning towards the former answer, but I'd rather check and guess right than not check and be wrong.

2. For said Hit die increase, how much does it increase its CR? The base Nymph has a CR of 7, so would the extra hit die bump it to 8? Or some other rate? Again, probably a simple answer, but I'm a little bad at such things.

3. The last question may be a little controversial. I've asked DM buddies of mine what they think, and they dislike it, but I'm going through with it anyways. I want to install feat trainers, NPCs that can teach the PCs bonus feats per level. Martials (like Fighters, Monks, and Knights) can learn 2 per level, Hybrids and Skilled (Like Paladins, Rogues, and Bards) can learn 1 each level, and casters (like Druids, Clerics, and Wizards) can learn 1 every other level. I'm balancing this out by giving them a time to learn them and a GP cost.

The question being, what should I price them at? Or what kind of rate should I use? I know some treat feats extremely high (my friend calls them holy), and thus should be restricted to level ups, but with the tons of supplements, the amount of feats there are make it to irresistible to just keep the small amount of feats we get normally. So, if you guys have any opinions on prices, I'd be glad to hear it. *casts flame shield*

Thanks all!

questionmark693
2014-07-16, 10:57 PM
in a statement xdy+z, x is the number of hit die, y is the size of the hit die, and z is just the extra hit points they get from their con modifier. So if its 6d6+6, itd go up to 7d6+7.

As for how that affects CR, check the back of the Monster Manual, under the chapter advancing monsters, it explains how it works, and I'm fuzzy on the exact details at the moment

As for the third question...I'm not really sure. Maybe look at retraining rules, and use them for inspiration as to how long/expensive they should be.

Sudain
2014-07-16, 10:59 PM
The former is correct.
CR is largely arbritrary. For just one hit die increase I wouln't increase CR. It tries to be 1/4 of a parties resources for that day... TRIES.
Your DM buddies are correct... that is a MASSIVLY bad idea. There is a thread floating around called "Collateral Damage Man". The difference in the builds IS the feats. With that many feats you could have one character do 2-3 different collateral damage builds easily. Martial characters can also get that crazy or worse.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361628-Collateral-Damage-Man/page1

Yahzi
2014-07-17, 05:03 AM
some questions
1. 7+7.

2. No. For a CR 4 creature to go up to CR 5, you would expect its hit points to go up by at least 25%, along with its damage, chance to hit, etc.

3. You can give your players as many feats as you want, but it's not going to be balanced. Letting them choose any feat from anywhere is even worse.

A better idea might be you choosing specific feats you don't mind handing out (Toughness, Weapon Focus, etc.) and then having specific trainers who teach just those feats. As for price, compare it to the magic items they could buy. Toughness is like a free healing potion every adventure, so maybe 500 gp?

Eldaran
2014-07-17, 05:37 AM
I think the real problem with handing out that many feats is that it trivializes them. Feats are supposed to be a way of defining your character, giving a Fighter 40 extra feats at level 20 makes feats incredibly boring, and every Fighter is going to end up identical to the other. If you want to add some feats, consider Flaws, or the Pathfinder method (one each odd level), but what you're suggesting is just way too many.

BioCharge
2014-07-17, 06:46 AM
Thanks all. I suppose it is right on the amount of feats, I really hadn't realized how many characters would get in my method; 40 does sound like a lot, doesn't it? I think I'll go with the pathfinder method and do feats every odd level, that should suffice. Maybe training when it comes to proficiencies, but that's about it.

If I think of any more questions, I'll just pump this thread.