PDA

View Full Version : All We Like Dragons Have Gone Astray... (IC)

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-17, 12:13 AM
Almost starting to breathe hard, you and your comrades crest a final ridge into a tiny dell nestled in a shelf on this rocky slope. For a day or more now you've been somewhat meandering southeast along a rock-and-scree slope that periodically seemed to weave in and out of the forest below. It made for reasonable trailblazing- local fauna to hunt for food and flora for shelter from the time spent in the forest, while greater visibility during most of the time spent on the rocky surfaces.

The impetus for your journey in this direction now stands before. Days ago, in the middle of an abandoned wilderness, frustrated by the persistent predators of the area, your party scouted a faint column of smoke rising above the treeline. Too controlled and direct to be a forest blaze, or even a campfire, you decided that with bugger-all else to do that you might as well head for it.

Now the fruits of your labor stand before you. The most ramshackle old cottage you've ever laid eyes on seems haphazardly thrown across a narrow cleft that separates this shelf from the downward slope on the other side. The smoke that originally drew you here must have come from the barely intact chimney rising out of the north-end of the cottage.

It takes a minute for your senses to catch up with you, but shortly you begin to realize that the only thing remarkable about this cottage is the sudden silence that seems to have settled all around you. No birds chirping, no wind blowing, not even the sticks make a cracking noise when you step on them. Indeed, the only noise you can pick up is coming from the cottage itself...a slow, scraping sound as if a chair being drug across a floorboard.

http://i.imgur.com/F3N1y5s.jpg

Let the games begin!

So it looks like Team Evil has the more experienced D&D players. As such, I'm not going to give you guys the pep talk about working out party tactics and thinking through the eyes of your characters, yada yada. You know what to do...get evil and get going!

If you have any questions you want to ask OOC (Out Of Character, for you non-forum posters), please go ahead and ask it in the original Light's Last Shadow thread. In fact, I recommend chatting out your initial thoughts and such with each other there just to help ease into the familiar party synergy that your characters would probably already have (given the amount of time they've traveled together).

Toblakai
2014-07-18, 02:56 PM
"Well I don't like this, a person just gets used to making his own noises blundering about the woods like we've been."

Toblakai turns to his left and glances at the hulking water orc At least if someone is in that cabin and seeks to harm me, it will keep that doll happy without my blood for another day or two. Stepping forward Toblakai mumbles a quick phrase and his eyes start to glow.

"Bigger people first guys, it's odd enough to have a stupid little cabin this deep in the scrubs why not make it seem even a little more strange."

Toblakai casts detect magic

Boomquishi
2014-07-18, 07:30 PM
Bigger goes first?...I’m bigger!! I wonder if anyone is in there, little guy is getting kind of hungry.
Gorbroth starts off towards the cabin.

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-19, 11:11 AM
Toblakai casts detect magic

Shadows cloud Toblakai's eyes, causing his burning red orbs to appear smoky for a moment

The faintest taste of copper comes to Toblakai's mouth and he recognizes the ethereal hints of a magical aura. As he probes the edges of the sorcery, he sees a flickering flame surrounded by chains of inky blackness.

Make two spellcraft checks to determine the schools of magic involved.

Toblakai
2014-07-19, 12:42 PM
Shadows cloud Toblakai's eyes, causing his burning red orbs to appear smoky for a moment

The faintest taste of copper comes to Toblakai's mouth and he recognizes the ethereal hints of a magical aura. As he probes the edges of the sorcery, he sees a flickering flame surrounded by chains of inky blackness.

Make two spellcraft checks to determine the schools of magic involved.

18 & 15, Can you get permissions as a DM to edit our posts? That we could keep this in a single post, of course I will learn to make checks while posting so you don't have to ask for them as well :smalltongue:

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-20, 10:41 AM
Can you get permissions as a DM to edit our posts?

Hmm, possibly, I will look around the web site and see if that's possible. But space is free, so I'm not terribly worried about putting up a few extra posts.

Also, if you find it, let me know how to do secret text on this forum. I've look at their BB code and couldn't find anything. Technically all this information should be secreted to Toblakai, but for now we'll just have to roll with more open communication.

It's magic, that's for sure. It even has the feel of ritual sorcery; small eddies of swirling ether in your magic sight betray the places of binding. But the layers of the sorcery deny it's unraveling. Even the differences between the flame and the shadow are all but impossible to identify. You remain confident that at least two workings were accomplished here, if not more being hidden by the affects of the first two.

Now, I'm new at Detect Magic, so I could be getting this wrong. I'm going off the information here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectMagic.htm) at the SRD. You were able to determine the presence of magical auras, but not the specific school, according to the rolls.

EDIT: One of the auras has a moderate strength, while the lesser of the two shows as faint.

Toblakai
2014-07-20, 03:39 PM
Be careful as we approach guys, there are at least two different flavors of magic being controlled here and I can't get a good read on what type besides it's above my ability to control. Of course magic above our level isn't rare, there is still so much we used to know but can't grasp just yet. We will have Gorbroth lead in, I will be behind him and you both can guard our blind spots. Weapons out just in case, but let's not just attack anything we see, it would be best to know more before the fire and pillaging starts.

Toblakai steps behind Gorbroth as the large orc strides forward towards the cabin.

Yes that is how detect magic works, although I should by now know the power of the spells i.e. faint, moderate so on. And I ready a spell in case something attacks Gorbroth.

moshue
2014-07-21, 10:02 AM
Kulak's starts forward apprehensively, tightening the vise-like grip on his polearm. He can feel the tingle of magic on his skin, but is unable to discern the specifics. Frustrated by his lack of skill, he makes a whispered promise to his lord. Blood will spill this day, master. Falling in line while slightly lowering his weapon, he prepares to cut left after breaching the cabin.

Used spell-like ability detect magic. Character has no ranks in spellcraft yet.

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-22, 09:00 AM
Your way across the yard is uncontested. Indeed the only change is that the scratching noise from inside ceases the moment you get to the door. The rickety door to the cottage offers no resistance to Gorbruth's formidable strength as he flings it aside and steps through.

Those who follow the mighty Orc inside find themselves in a cramped space only shattered remnants of ancient furniture and moldy remains of linens strewn about. In the center of the single-room building lies the origin of your smoke trail: a rusty grate embedded in the wooden floor is letting a column of smoke rise through the floor and into the chimney above it.

The only other thing of note is the only other occupant of this room, besides yourselves. A grotesque body of a man with scaled or crusted flesh and the head of an animal squats just before the grate. The creature shocks you by growling in what might be a language of some sort before turning it's attentions back to the floor that it is clearly trying to claw through.

Toblakai
2014-07-22, 02:15 PM
Ahhh! Well aren't you an ugly bugger. Sentient? Yes we think so. Friendly? Probably neither, or too dumb to care. Relevant? Hardly, I doubt any of our "Companions" will give two kobolds thought to the matter. That's not fair Kulak will. Of course he will, just as he decapitates the thing. Oh well yeah there is that.

Toblakai steps forward towards the grate trying to get a better look down it. Well something more valuable than this creatures life is under here, my preference is of course artifacts of the venerable variety, but stacks of gold are good too if I'm forced to accept them. Approaching the odd humanoid Toblakai eyes Kulak and nods at him to approach from the things blind spot as he comes in on the peripheral side.

Can you understand me? Toblakai repeats this in quite a few languages and in a garble of most probably made up noises.

moshue
2014-07-22, 09:07 PM
Slowly and deliberately, Kulak makes his way around the room. He affords himself only fleeting glances, uncomfortable taking his eyes off the creature. His mind raced through his former master's teachings, struggling to identify the hunched monstrosity pawing at the floor.

Realizing he's about as close to this thing as he wants to get without it being staked to the floor, he flicks a quick gesture to Toblakai to let him know he's in position. Lords, this beast is creepy. I'll feel much better when he's dead

Knowledge check here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17814956&postcount=52). Which one? Also took a brief look around in case we missed something. Roll here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17814986&postcount=53)

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-23, 10:01 AM
Kulak's training allows him to easily identify this creature as a Gnoll; traditional enemies of the goliath tribes, the gnolls are one of the more dominate races in the beastlands and often encroach on the borders of the highlands. It bears unrecognizable deformities, however. Something unusual has occured to this particular gnoll.

Toblakai's entreaties towards the creature seem to have little affect on it. It pauses momentarily to stare in his direction, and responds in another short, guttural phrase, then returns it's attention to the process of carving yet-deeper troughs in the floorboards. That is, until Toblakai steps forward for a better look at the grate. Something about the motion momentarily enrages the creature; it snaps out a clawed paw and swats towards Toblakai. It's not a particularly accurate assault, clearly more of a knee-jerk reaction than a methodical attempt to take the inquisitive wizard's life.

Boomquishi
2014-07-23, 08:23 PM
After walking in Gorbroth pauses for a couple seconds just staring at the creature, and after wondering when the last time his little buddy got a good meal spoke up and said "DOGGY, HEY DOGGY...DOGGY...DOGGY" Gorbroth looks around the room to his fellow companions. "Do you think doggies taste good?"

moshue
2014-07-24, 08:28 AM
The absurdity of Gorbroth's question lightens Kulak's mood instantly. Peeling back his lips in a wicked grin, he answers in an equally absurd manner. Gnoll tastes great with a little garlic and pepper. The gnoll's strange appearance still troubles him though. However, this meat appears to have turned already, brother. Perhaps a little tenderizing? Let's see what's down in this crapper that has you so interested. The hulking goliath reaches out to trip him with the end of his weapon.

Rolls here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17820244&postcount=58) More rolls here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17821171&postcount=59).

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-25, 09:59 AM
Almost lazily the Goliath warrior flicks out his polearm at the gnoll-creature (http://s13.postimg.org/xhcl16kyv/464_realsize.jpg). The gnoll either profoundly lacks reflexes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17823887&postcount=60) or is intractably dedicated to it's task, as it barely flinches when the glaive-blade licks across it's hind tendons. Like a scarecrow in a stiff wind the beast collapses with a snarl onto the floor. The pain pushes into action, finally, and it rears back to it's haunches, preparing to leap at the nearest threat. It whirls as Kulak presses his advantage, diving through the counterattack and snapping it's slavering jaws (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17829717&postcount=72) at the Goliath.

Roll initiative! Chris will take first spot for initiating combat.

Chris, you get an AoO from the Gnoll standing from prone.

Edit: Initiative Order -

Kulak
Gnoll
Gorbruth
Toblakai

Toblakai
2014-07-25, 09:09 PM
Initiative roll = 11
Wow, way to get all your crappy rolls out of the way early Chris. I think the real dice gods are punishing you for playing with online rolling.

Seeing Kulak move fluidly against the gnoll and gorbroth eyes light up and start forward Toblakai retreats into his mind palace and focuses on the more interesting aspect of this chance encounter (At least to him). Walking on sunshine, I'm walking on sunshine, something something else, I'm still walking on a place with no dead bodies...

Toblakai moves around to the other side of the grate and points two fingers between the grates, a brief shade of blue lights his hand and the heat leaves the area around him.

Toblakai casts ray of frost at the heat source below, it is a touch spell against something not trying to dodge so I assume I don't have to roll to hit.

Boomquishi
2014-07-25, 09:42 PM
I got a 13 for initiative

moshue
2014-07-28, 06:57 AM
Kulak couldn't help but smile at the sight of the grotesque little creature flopping around. The scrappy little beast scrambled to his feet just in time to catch the glint of spinning steel on it's way back around from the first assault.

Sorry guys! I checked this thread every 2 hours or so this weekend waiting for Scott to reply; I didn't realize he had edited the previous post! :smallsigh:

AoO roll here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17840531&postcount=76). Next attack here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17840534&postcount=77). For some reason I can't process the attack order properly in my head this morning... probably too early. If I need to go again, use the second set of rolls. If not, disregard.

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-28, 07:31 AM
My bad, guys. I realize now I should have just posted a new post, if only to alert everyone. Normally I like to keep Initiative rolls in the starting combat post, just so people can refer back to them easily. But in future cases, if I do that, I'll send a mass text alerting people to the update.

Just waiting on Boom's response now, so I can resolve Toblakai's action. Chris, you hit the creature with both attacks, and it hit you with it's bite attack, so there's a lot of blood all over the place now. I'll RP it all out once I get Boom's action.

Boomquishi
2014-07-28, 12:20 PM
Debating whether this new found doggie was proper killing material or not, Gorbroth pauses for a second, then decides he might as well take at least one good swing at it.

(Power attack -2)
(Punishing Stance 1d6)

if the hit is successful

[roll]3d8+1d6+4+6

Boomquishi
2014-07-28, 12:22 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-28, 02:52 PM
Any nearby gods of blood rejoiced at a sudden succulent taste. The inside of this forgotten shack was hallowed in gore as Kulak took the opening presented by the gnoll, stop-thrusting his polearm into the beast. Unfortunately, the thrust did not stop it. Unholy screams erupted from it's throat, and it dove forward on the shaft, grabbing Kulak's shoulders and driving it's fangs deep in his neck, bearing him to the ground.

The course of blood was not over, however. Gorbruth brought his sledgehammer weapon down like the fist of his god, slamming it into the back of the gnoll. The force ripped it's whole midsection apart, exploding pieces of the creature across the floor, and the unfortunate Kulak.

Over the grate nearby, the air absorbs the brumal quality of Toblakai's spell as the icy magic streaks below. There is a sharp hissing sound, like water being thrown on coals, and a gout of even thicker smoke than normal rises through the grate, temporarily obscuring the immediate vicinity.

Alright, the gnoll has fallen. Your party is out of combat. Each of you gain 150 XP for defeating the augmented Gnoll (CR 2).

Currently, Kulak is at 0 HP and is disabled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#disabled). Mind those standard actions!

The mist from the grate returns to normal momentarily.

moshue
2014-07-29, 07:48 AM
Kulak, shocked at the sudden rush of pain, comes to his wits and frantically sifts through his belongings looking for a potion. He pulls it from his bag just as the exploding gnoll splatters him in effluence. With a sigh, he pops the cork and chugs the bottle, smashing the empty against the wall in frustration. Feeling only slightly better, he braces against the staff of his weapon and pulls himself to his feet. With a muttered curse and promise of retribution against the charlatan who sold him the worthless snake oil he had just ingested, he offers up what blood he did spill to the god of war... with the promise of more to come.

Blinking away the smoke from his eyes, he gives what is left of the gnoll a kick. So, what's down in that hole anway? Something good, I hope.

Chug, chug, chug the potion of fail at rolling- er, I mean crappy rolls- um, I mean uselessness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17846799&postcount=78).

Toblakai
2014-07-29, 11:01 AM
As the smoke gets thicker and then fades to resume it's normal flow Toblakai starts to move around the grate ignoring the bloody mess happening around him, his eyes darting around as he relies on unknown training to guide him. As he rounds the grate a second time he finally notices that Kulak took a massive hit and is still hurting, almost without thinking and while still moving around the grate he reaches out a hand that softly brushes across Kulak's hand that he is using to lean on his weapon with.

Search check = 28, spellcraft check on smoke = 29, open lock check if the grate is locked = 19, cure light wounds = 2 (Kulak doesn't heal well I guess).

Boomquishi
2014-07-29, 09:24 PM
happy with the blood that had been spilled, Gorbroth sits happily down and strikes up a conversation with little guy.

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-29, 09:34 PM
The rapid disappearance of the smoke relieves Toblakai's many manic minds, revealing the smoke to be purely unenchanted steam. The grate, however, looks like an ogre must have hauled the thing in here and put it in place. It is grooved and mortared into the wooden floor around it. No locks or traps are immediately apparent to Toblakai. Likely, whoever put it in place laughed at the idea of some flighty miscreant sneaking in and attempting to shift the damned thing.

moshue
2014-07-30, 08:43 AM
With a whistle, Kulak gives the gate a few taps with the butt of his weapon. Whoever built this meant business. I doubt it will budge, but we should try it anyway before anything else, I suppose. Give me a hand, Gorb. He set his polearm aside and hunkered down on his haunches, lacing his fingers through the gate. On three: One... Two...

Strength check here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17852788&postcount=80). I did not add a bonus for Boom aiding me, in case he chooses not to do so.

Toblakai
2014-07-30, 02:39 PM
Very true Kulak, and although you may succeed in your mighty endeavor I suggest you try the floorboards about 4 feet to the side of it. It is our experiences that the more heavily guarded something is the less well prepared its immediate neighbors are.

Boomquishi
2014-07-30, 10:13 PM
Finishing his conversation with little guy, Gorbroth lumbers over to help.

Strength check [roll0]

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-30, 11:46 PM
Both Kulak and Gorbruth strain mightily to shift the massive grate, but even their prodigious strength doesn't seem to be able to move it. Into the sporadic huffing from the hulking warriors, Toblakai speaks in his disconcertingly knowledgeable way. His companions feel a shiver run through their spines as they turn and gaze at the gouges in the floor where they had found the gnoll, perhaps an arm-length from the grate.

The group spends a few seconds thinking over this potential shift in strategy. Into this silence, a sound from beneath the grate carries up to them. A voice, somewhere between a hacking cough and the throaty timbre of a man aged by too many vices, echoes around them.

"If you lot insist on dropping that damned portcullis on my head, at least have the industriousness to cart off that corpse. Whatever you killed is dripping it's guts down here."

The first set of strength checks failed. You may retry as you like, after a couple minutes of rest.

Boomquishi
2014-07-31, 02:43 PM
Gorbroth eyes suddenly widen, as he scans the room seeing his fellow comrades and the fallen doggie...."GHOSTS! I dont mind flesh and blood, but when it comes to those things no thanks. Lets try again to lift this thing and then we can hide! Gorbroth points to the floor and again tries to lift.

[roll0]

Toblakai
2014-07-31, 02:56 PM
Toblakai starts mumbling to himself, Crud muffins, I highly doubt that we have stumbled upon a rare and valuable pile of talking gold. Leaning over the solidly built grate Toblakai tries to get a view below while engaging the voice of not piles of gold So why are you in the locked basement of a ramshackle cabin in the middle of nowhere with a strange creature oddly fascinated with gaining access to you? And I really should say that in all fairness we are most likely not one of the better things to happen to you today. Well we probably are but they certainly aren't, true true, so who put you in there?

Whiskeyjarak
2014-07-31, 11:02 PM
A disgusted sigh escapes the grate as Gorbruth once again throws his bulk against the grate and manages to do little more than squish more remnants of the gnoll down into the darkness below. Silence meets Toblakai's obtuse questioning, until the big orc has finished his efforts at the grate. The darkness below reveals little other than what seems to be an earth and stone cellar.

"Why, because I'm fascinating, of course. Dull creatures rarely find themselves in such interesting circumstances. Your friend for example; a paragon of single-minded drudgery, and he is free as a lark to destroy and defecate wherever he likes, which I'm sure are the sum of his talents."

Toblakai
2014-08-01, 08:55 AM
Fascinating is a great answer, rich of course is better but then we would need better luck. Hey Gorbroth, if you don't destroy these floorboards over here the ghosts are going to go after little guy, and he doesn't like ghosts either because he can't eat them.

moshue
2014-08-01, 10:38 AM
Upon hearing the voice, Kulak backs away from the grate a slight distance. Listening intently to every word floating up from below, he furrows his brow in contemplation.

Only two things I can think of get locked away like this: Things that are very valuable, and things that are very dangerous. The question is, which one is he?

After thinking on it a moment, Kulak decides to push his skepticism aside. The worst that could happen is more blood spilled, even if it meant his own. Time to find out if you're worthy.

Let's see what we are up against. If you agree that we should investigate, I say "Gorb smash"; perhaps in that area. Kulak elevates his arm slightly, gesturing to the scratched-up wood floor under the gnoll's oozing entrails.

Boomquishi
2014-08-02, 02:46 PM
Gorbroth studies the wood floor for a second then in one fell swing brings all of his might down upon the boards.

Strength check

Damage if successful
[roll]3d8+1d6+6

Boomquishi
2014-08-02, 02:48 PM
One more time for the good time [roll0]
[roll1]

Whiskeyjarak
2014-08-03, 03:49 PM
Gorbruth's assault on the floor proves exceedingly more effective than the gnoll's claws. The wood splinters all around the grate, revealing the damp earth underneath, and sending pieces of mortar in all directions.

At this point it can be assumed that Gorbruth and Kulak will easily bash through the wood floor. Go ahead and roleplay freeing the grate and gaining access below. It is an 8 foot drop into a small earthen cellar, perhaps 20 feet wide.

moshue
2014-08-04, 08:07 AM
Having just smashed through the floor, Kulak moves back and leans his weapon against the wall of the cabin. Peering into the hole cautiously, he fishes around in his over-sized backpack, separating a coil of rope from the random clutter within. Looping it around a strong beam and giving it a quick tug to test the connection, he passes it to the wizard.

In case we need a quick exit, more than anything. This drop is nothing to Gorb and I. Anything fishy and we fling spells first and ask questions later. Hopefully I don't have to regret this decision for too long.

He grabs the pole arm from the wall and stacks next to the hole.

You first, big guy. This fellow made a comment about defecating where you like; lets see if you like his home, yes?

Toblakai
2014-08-04, 12:00 PM
And if the Orc sees him first he is likely to once again slaughter someone that had no valid reason to die, at least with the gnoll "Little guy" shouldn't be hungry for the rest of today. Better play it safe though. Yeah I'm right, once again forward if only to outrun our friends.

Toblakai moves past as Gorbroth is picking his butt and smelling what he found, and turns to Kulak I'll make sure if he is hostile and dangerous to trip up his attacks with my flailing limbs. He then whispers a word and a light pops in front of him, then he promptly drops through the hole landing in a loose posture to aid in sudden evasive manuevers if required. Ok disembodied voice, time to find a shape and a name. I'm calling him Gilbert. That is ridiculous he will obviously look like a Susan...

The Great Mon Gorge you have issues.

Casts light before dropping; uses total defense +6 dodge bonus; I don't think I need this but tumble check just in case [roll0]

Whiskeyjarak
2014-08-04, 03:47 PM
Small flecks of crystal immediately start reflecting the light conjured by the mental mage; the crystals are embedded in the earth of the cellar walls, caught between larger portions of hewn rock still visible. The effect is that the small cellar is now brightly lit.

Toblakai can put face to voice as he is barely four or such feet from a scraggly looking humanoid bound to a central edifice of rock with chains of enormous proportion. Dirty hair obscures the face completely; indeed the being cannot even raise his head, as it is bound tight against his chest.

Here is the source of the magic aura that Toblakai sensed earlier. There is a zone of silence set upon this cellar, presumably because this being's captor thought his words of little value to others. Odd that you were able to hear a voice only moments ago.

"Into the dragon's den? Brave. Although you will have now discovered it is the den of a shattered dragon, chained and left to rot by angels jealous of it's power."

Toblakai is aware now that the words are an illusion, projected into his mind in the guise of spoken words.

Toblakai
2014-08-04, 05:28 PM
Ahhh! I think we just pooped ourselves... oh wait, no just gas and maybe a little spritz, I hate all of you so much. Well this looks above our pay grade, but that never stopped Mom from charging 5 coppers. Toblakai moves forward in increments his eyes darting about taking in the chains, the curious lighting, and especially the strange figure. He calls back up to his friends as he starts to rummage through his pack, Just give us a bit down here guys there isn't a lot of space and I want to be treble sure what we may be dealing with.

After pulling out his cypher book and some lenses he sets about minutely examining the chains and walls looking for inscriptions, he also starts to let his arcane senses expand now that he can see the source of power and feel for what might really be here.

Dragon he says and dragon he probably is, first thing that might be true. Oh malarky, something about that must not be true either or he wouldn'ta "said it" and what's more. Shut up we don't care right now, there is power here and power means opportunity but only for the prepared, can't risk dying all willy nilly like before now. We agree, dying is not our favorite. Hmm something strange about that creature now that I think of dragons, it's skin was sort of scaly, I wonder if mister angels jealousy was calling to a blood tainted relative.

Knowledge Arcana check = [roll0]; Spellcraft check x2 = [roll1] and [roll2]; Search check = [roll3]

Boomquishi
2014-08-04, 11:57 PM
After following his companions to this odd fellow, Gorbroth looks around cautiously, and what was a concerned look quickly becomes a grim. Dont worry guys, I am pretty sure we out smarted those ghosts, and I dont think they will find us now!

Whiskeyjarak
2014-08-05, 12:23 AM
Perception is as hazy as sanity for Toblakai in cellar; the crystal reflection is mezmerizing and diffcult to adjust for while he inspects the surroundings - and occupant - of the cellar.

Toblakai ascertains little of the occupants heritage, and just as little about the chains holding him in place. The chains appear to be entirely mundane, if ridiculously out of place, while crystals as well bear no arcane influence. The only magic in place appears to be the silence effect surrounding the pillar.

Whiskeyjarak
2014-08-05, 08:20 AM
A soft chuckle resonates through the minds of the adventurers. You hear shifting chains, although it is clear that neither the chains nor the chained one has moved in a very long time.

"Such hubris, clever mage. Will you be the one to unravel Kalkomet's chains of blasphemy? Doubtful. Come closer, touch my pillar, and I will see your mind and you will see the limits of power."

moshue
2014-08-05, 03:32 PM
Kulak kneels down at the edge of the gaping hole in the floor, watching Toblakai intently. What do you see? Do you need a hand? Oddly enough, the mage continued about his business as if he hadn't heard a word. He did not appear to be in any immediate danger, so Kulak instead focused on what he could see of the cellar.

No clue what to do here. Waiting on David to investigate. Random rolls just in case I missed something here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17888253&postcount=90).

Toblakai
2014-08-06, 11:00 AM
Do it, shut up, do it, no, he has no idea what he's asking for... where have I heard Kalkomet before... and we don't have any idea what allowing something of that much power into our minds will do. Well there is the risk of eternal servitude, but the risk is small and the knowledge we could gain is great. Hellfire I don't even know how many of you there are, get off your high horse we don't even know if "you" really belong either. While you idjits keep diddling each other I'mma touch a lizard...

Toblakai inches closer his eyes flicking into different shades as he concentrates deeply within his mind, he does manage enough focus to call up to Kulak after hearing a question I think we have found a being of power imprisoned, possibly a shape shifted dragon Issa forefend, he wants to look inside our minds. Well I say good luck chuck.

Quickly closing the distance Toblakai rests his hand upon the pillar and for possibly the first time releases his iron hard mental control over his psych.

Whiskeyjarak
2014-08-06, 12:46 PM
Rushing stars...no, diamonds maybe...fill Toblakai's vision momentarily. They glitter and for a moment seem to fall upon him, consuming him. Then like a shifting wave they falter, lost as they circle and Toblakai can see around them now, a new perspective from each of the battered souls within him.

Now images fill his vision. Large, lizard-like humanoids slinking into muck; a bright sword flashing down to shatter stone; broken gates filled squat humanoids in shining armor. The face a dragon fills his mind at then, it's fangs bared and blood leaking from it's scales.

The images fade until the cellar resolves once again. Something has changed in the atmosphere. Nothing sounds different - well, nothing sounds at all - yet there is a tense sensation in the air.

When Toblakai pulls his hand away from the rock, he hears a groan in his mind. "You are lost, wizard. It is chaos inside you." The voice is ragged, far away as if through a tunnel. A small sigh, more like wind whistling nearby. "And yet, the lost need not fear the impossible. I would bargain with you and your companions."

Toblakai
2014-08-07, 08:25 AM
Toblakai stumbles backwards after barely touching the pillar, it looked like he was instantly pushed back, he starts to stagger in a drunken manner reaching out to steady himself on anything. Thankfully Gorbroth is dumbly standing nearby and he latches onto him with a hand to keep himself upright and holds his other hand to his head.

We can't... I can't... stop, slow down. Focus, come on focus, bring it all back, you know who you are, we are real, this is real. Calming his breath Toblakai straightens up slightly, still holding his head he leans back off Gorbroth It hurts so much, too many perspectives, gods how many are in there. Can we trust this creature? Yes, I don't know why but I feel that if he was twisted by his captivity he would have dealt with my condition differently

After a few more calming breaths Toblakai fully straightens and moves to the opening, Kulak please pull me up I can hardly stand... after noticing that his voice isn't reaching Kulak he gestures to get his attention and mimes being pulled up. Then turning his thoughts to the chained creature he replies I will inform my companions, you may get more than you bargain for but that is yet to be seen.

Toblakai
2014-08-07, 10:49 AM
After getting pulled up from the hole and spending time gesturing and coaxing Gorbroth to climb out as well Toblakai starts to relay what he has found out.

So there is a spell of silence below and a human form bound with massive chains, he claims to be a dragon named Kalkomet put in this state by the jealousy of angles. He wanted to show me what happened, and we expect may have tried to enslave my will to his, but that is his nature and we were able to subvert it. Now he wants to bargain with all of us, most probably to send us on a suicide mission to gain him leverage in escaping. Of course there will most likely be hordes of things to kill, with an outside chance of an angel or small deity, but that probably isn't a good way to dissuade either of you.

Toblakai takes a break to retreat inside himself and sort out what he wants to say next.

We think we should deal with Kalkomet, personally he has knowledge and power I would like to be able to tap into, and we are bone weary of aimlessly wandering these blasted woods with both of you. But what do both of you think?

moshue
2014-08-08, 06:58 AM
Hmm... explain more how WE can tap into this power. I'm not trudging around the world on the promise of a little death.

The master demands it.

What? Hearing the voice in Kulak's head momentarily turned his blood to ice. He had never heard it so clearly before.

You will do as your god commands. The enemies of this pitiful creature are those of your lord. Seal the bargain, destroy them all, and you shall be his champion.

The memories of what that voice had pushed him to do in the past flooded back in all at once. Realizing he had missed the elf's response to his query, he steeled himself before the sudden rush of fear and sadness translated to his facial features.

Whatever. I will go. I have nothing else to lose anyway. But if this Kalkomet cannot do as you say, he will die along with his enemies. I expect he will not care once his vengeance is wrought through us anyway.

...put in this state by the jealousy of angles (https://32aa35c8e9384df4b659c536cc4e262b7733ea95.googledri ve.com/host/0B7CR9Ut4VyiGTGltSHg0bGgtTDg/jealousy%20of%20angles.jpg).

Sorry.... couldn't help myself. It's still early.

Toblakai
2014-08-24, 02:09 PM
Toblakai lowers himself into the cavern again, after talking with Kulak and getting into a frustrating conversation of how little dragons are hiding inside the smelly man downstairs and how we need to kill algebra to set him free.

We are ready to bargain with you, so spin your tale and set your goal. You will find us not as easy to ply as those city whores though, yes he will I'm really easy to ply, shut it, hu-hmmm alright as we were saying, promises of gold and power count for less than a gnomes IOU. I'm sure you have dealt with our like before if you are what you say, but I will be so bold as to remind you that the next one to wander to this area may have enough knowledge to bind you instead of to deal, so shoot straight with us for your own well being.