PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Augmentation, because mundanes need nice things

gr8artist
2014-07-17, 12:59 AM
So the idea is pretty straightforward: How would you go about managing a system where the special abilities of weapons and armor could be swapped out on a regular basis?
Basically, you'd have weapons that were +(1-5) and which had up to 5 augmentation slots. They'd cost as much as a weapon that had a total enhancement equal to the weapons enhancement + augmentation.
The augmentations would then be pretty cheap. 1000 for a +1 ability like flaming, 2000 for a +2 ability, 3000 for a +3 and so-on.
Adding or removing an augmentation requires 1 minute per the augmentation's rank (1 minute for flaming, 2 minutes for flaming burst, 5 minutes for vorpal, etc.) and a craft (weapons, armor, whatever's appropriate) check at DC 5/rank (5 for flaming, 10 for flaming burst, 25 for vorpal)

For a few thousand gold, the fighter can now simply modify his favorite longsword, rather than needing to buy a new one for every type of enemy. Bane might need a bit of a nerf with this rule-set, I'll admit.

Amechra
2014-07-17, 04:06 PM
Do you own the Magic Item Compendium? It introduced Weapon/Armor Augment Crystals (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070209a), which were essentially Materia.

They come in 3 grades: Least, Lesser, and Greater. Least require a Masterwork Weapon, Lesser require a +1 Weapon, and Greater require a +3 weapon. You can only attach one to a weapon or armor by default.

You also have Dragonshard Pommels from Eberron, which you can enchant for 50% more GP cost, but which replace the enchantment of your original weapon with whatever is on the Pommel (so if you stick a +1 Flaming Elemental-Bane Pommel on a +1 Keen Longsword, it becomes a +1 Flaming Elemental-Bane Longsword.)

I see it as one of those things where, as long as you are careful, it should be fine.

I'd apply it to one of those schemes where you get your "magic item numbers" from level-ups, to be honest.

gr8artist
2014-07-17, 04:50 PM
I would appreciate a better look at that. I do not own that book, though I may have one in PDF form somewhere around here...

1pwny
2014-07-17, 05:45 PM
You checked this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?202722-D-amp-D3-5-Weapons-Upgrades-and-More) out yet?

Uhh, the tables are kind of messed up, but it might still be readable?