PDA

View Full Version : Generic classes.

YPU
2007-03-01, 10:01 AM
I have noticed something strange about the generic classes. The spell caster can select spells from al the lists. But you can choose to be ether an arcane or divine spell caster. So you could select both healing and blast spells, ok generic classes are somewhat more powerful anyway. But what about spell failure, why would one be an arcane caster if you can have the same spell list and wear armor?
Am I missing something?

Ramza00
2007-03-01, 10:03 AM
8 Hour rest vs Once a Day casting? Int vs Wis?

Yeah Divine is for the most part better.

YPU
2007-03-01, 10:05 AM
wow, where did the 'once a day' come from.

A spellcaster learns and casts spells as a sorcerer. She may select her spells known from the cleric, druid, and sorcerer/wizard spell lists.
A spellcaster must choose at 1st level whether to be an arcane spellcaster or a divine spellcaster.

Leush
2007-03-01, 10:21 AM
The system was designed for versitility and not power. Remember that every buff or healing spell counts against your spells known, even if it does make you feel better.

Actually, generic class casting is a heck of a lot weaker than most normal casting and brings all spellcasters onto the same level of power: Whatever type you choose, you're a sorcerer with fewer spell slots until level twenty, and no simple weapon proficiency. You do get a few bonus spells and the ability to use two simple weapons of your choice.

Divine spellcasting isn't inherantly better, unless you want wisdom to be your best stat (Wisdom vs intelligence? Hello? Shiney shiney skill points?): Face it- you're not getting any armor or weapon proficiencies, and you have a d4- armor isn't going to save you. It's going to weigh you down and stop you escaping efficiently if worst comes to worst. Even if it is your uber +897234 Mithral Hyper Handwavium Full Plate of Leet Invincibility.

What e means I think is that divine spellcasters have to pray for fifteen minutes each day for their spells whilst arcane casters who cast spontanously have to spend an hour reading a spellbook sit there and ponder for fifteen minutes. So no, the idea is that a mage can be whatever type of mage he is- the distinction being mostly for flavour (or min-maxing if you prefer).

Ramza00
2007-03-01, 02:23 PM
wow, where did the 'once a day' come from.

It is how the arcane vs divine refreshes their spells

YPU
2007-03-01, 02:40 PM
Hm, I suppose I take the casts as a sorcerer to a greater extend then you do, no idea what take is right. Anyway, in my game there is only one type of magic, so everybody has arcane spell failure and all the three mental stats can be used as casting stats.