PDA

View Full Version : absurd metamagic and you!

Teh_das
2014-07-17, 02:47 AM
I'm curious, what unusual and absurd uses can you find with metamagic.

So far, I've only got the idea to use maximize spell for Awakening (make the druids animal companion into the party wizard!) Or on reincarnation (DMs choice, ymmv)

Anything the playground can think of?

eggynack
2014-07-17, 02:59 AM
Your awaken plan doesn't work, because the spell automatically stops the animal companion from being an animal companion. In any case, my favorite metamagic thing is probably extending a 24 hour spell, like energy immunity or primal instinct. It's just such a great value.

Story
2014-07-17, 03:01 AM
Invisible illusions are always fun.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-17, 03:03 AM
So far, I've only got the idea to use maximize spell for ... reincarnation (DMs choice, ymmv)

A roll on a table is not a numeric effect of the spell, and cannot be modified by maximize or empower or intensify or similar. The same goes for Prismatic Spray, Confusion, and similar spells.

AnonymousPepper
2014-07-17, 03:06 AM
Be an Incantatrix with the Destiny Domain (any number of ways to get this; I took Arcane Disciple).

Persist Choose Destiny (http://dndtools.eu/spells/races-of-destiny--81/choose-destiny--3033/) - which only exists as part of this domain - on yourself using one of your free daily metamagics. For a MegaDwarfBonus, have a Ring of Spellsharing and share it with another character in the party. For an OhMyArmok bonus, have your Archivist partner do this instead so that you can just use a Cooperative Metamagic instead and can save a feat for something else.

You and your partner now have rerolls on just about everything for the next 24 hours - "For the duration of the spell, any time you make an attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw, you may roll twice and select which die roll to use."

erok0809
2014-07-17, 03:06 AM
Invisible conjurations are nice. People start coughing on the Cloudkill gas but have no idea why, since they can't see it. Same idea for freezing fog, or any of the fog spells. Suddenly it's really cold, they can't move well, they're slipping on nothing, and there's no physical reason why.

Also, although it doesn't really make much sense, invisible prismatic wall/sphere. Watch as the enemy walks forward, passes through the invisible wall, and immediately has all the problems.

Basically invisible spell on just about anything where there's a visual effect makes for fun times.

Inevitability
2014-07-17, 03:07 AM
Your awaken plan doesn't work, because the spell automatically stops the animal companion from being an animal companion. In any case, my favorite metamagic thing is probably extending a 24 hour spell, like energy immunity or primal instinct. It's just such a great value.

It sure works, you just get a hyper-intelligent animal that is not an animal companion anymore. If it was treated well, it might as well become another PC. That, and it is friendly towards you, so a bit of diplomancy can turn it quickly into an ally.

eggynack
2014-07-17, 03:13 AM
It sure works, you just get a hyper-intelligent animal that is not an animal companion anymore. If it was treated well, it might as well become another PC. That, and it is friendly towards you, so a bit of diplomancy can turn it quickly into an ally.
Well, it works about as well on an animal companion as it does on any animal, anyway. It also might just not work, if Biffoniacus_Furiou's position holds up.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-17, 10:31 AM
Well, it works about as well on an animal companion as it does on any animal, anyway. It also might just not work, if Biffoniacus_Furiou's position holds up.

No, awaken works; it's reincarnate that doesn't. The argument (which I agree 100% with) is that awaken has a variable numeric effect (Intelligence and Charisma) while reincarnate has a variable categorical effect. The only way it'd work on reincarnate is if elf < half-elf < half-orc < troglodyte. (And in the mathematical sense, not in the colloquial "better than" sense.)

TeslaJr
2014-07-17, 10:43 AM
If we're talking absurdly powerful, the Irresistible Spell MM from Kingdoms of Kalamar is my choice. For a +4 level adjustment, you remove the save from a spell. That's right, no save. Slap it on something like Phantasmal Killer and laugh maniacally as you run about killing people with their own greatest fears. The prereq for it is also pretty good.

Rebel7284
2014-07-17, 11:15 AM
If we're talking absurdly powerful, the Irresistible Spell MM from Kingdoms of Kalamar is my choice. For a +4 level adjustment, you remove the save from a spell. That's right, no save. Slap it on something like Phantasmal Killer and laugh maniacally as you run about killing people with their own greatest fears. The prereq for it is also pretty good.

Errataed to be -10 to saving throws. Still good in the right build.

Forrestfire
2014-07-17, 11:34 AM
For extra fun with Awaken, apply Rapid Spell and Empower Spell in addition to Maximize/Sudden Maximize, then use a Persisted polymorph of some sort. Because your type changes, you become a valid target for the spell, netting you a 27 in intelligence, a permanent, untyped +4 to charisma, and +2 hit dice. Your type also becomes Magical Beast, letting you have some fun Alter Self shenanigans and making you immune to charm person, which is neat, I guess.

Vaz
2014-07-17, 11:37 AM
Take a spell. Any spell. Try to persist it. You can't. It doesn't ave a fixed range.

Take that same spell. Shoot it out your eyeballs, and you can now persist it.

Yes, that is Ocular spell.

TeslaJr
2014-07-17, 11:47 AM
Errataed to be -10 to saving throws. Still good in the right build.

Aw. Well, it was fun while it lasted. And yeah, -10 isn't that bad.

nedz
2014-07-17, 11:56 AM
Druid / X / Spellwarp Sniper
Spellwarped Sandblast.
Now Sandblast itself is pretty meh, but Spellwarped it becomes a (1d6 non-lethal and Stun-no save) Ray. Not bad for a 1st level spell — you just have to hit touch AC.

Inevitability
2014-07-17, 11:58 AM
A wizard casting a Divine Metamagic Persisted Time Stop. Running out of spells? Time stop, rest for 8 hours, continue with all your spells back.

You can even put quicken on top of that if you have high charisma, leading to:

-Cast whatever spell you want to cast.
-Cast quickened divine metamagic persisted time stop.
-Rest for eight hours and prepare spells.
-Gate in some hyper-intelligent outsider and play chess with it. Thereafter, cast some spells to give it its reward. If you aren't a chess person, play checkers instead.
-Prepare spells a second time.
-Continue the fight. Rinse, repeat.

Segev
2014-07-17, 12:05 PM
I remain fond of Reach Chain Launch Bolt. 5th level spell slot for CL d8s of damage which can be distributed however you like. (You do have to hit normal AC with a ranged attack for each one, though.)

Arcane Thesis: Launch Bolt reduces this to a 3rd level spell slot.

If you invest further into it, you can spend ranged attack feats like Point Blank Shot to make this better.