PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Crusader 16 / Warblade 4 recovery mechanic question. New to TOB

cheetah
2014-07-17, 03:37 AM
I'm starting a new campaign and I was thinking of going TOB this time around. I'm VERY new TOB.

I'm thinking of blending both the warblade and crusader. Since they both have different recovery mechanics which one do I use?
I was planning on leveling something like

Crusader 8 / Warblade 1 / Crusader +2 / Warblade +1 / Crusader +2 / Warblade +1 / Crusader +2 / Warblade +1 / Crusader +2 and ending up with Crusader 16 / Warblade 4.

Yes it's from the TOB for dummies (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1146801). Do you chose your recovery method?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-17, 03:50 AM
Tome of Battle, page 40, Multiclass Martial Adept: "A character with two or more martial adept classes keeps track of his readied maneuvers, expended maneuvers, and recovery of expended maneuvers separately for each class."

So you have to recover your Crusader maneuvers via the Crusader method and your Warblade maneuvers via the Warblade method.

Or, you could take Adapative Style and recover your maneuvers for both classes and reassign which ones you have readied, all at the same time, as a full round action.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-17, 03:55 AM
You would have to keep your Crusader maneuvers and your Warblade maneuvers separate, both known and readied maneuvers, and each class would use its own recovery mechanic for its own maneuvers.

Note that a given maneuver can only be readied once, it's either readied or it's not. Also note that a given maneuver can only be known once, it's either known or it's not. A maneuver you learn via Warblade cannot also be learned for Crusader. For this reason, if you start out with Warblade at 1st level and pick your three maneuvers from the Stone Dragon and White Raven disciplines, then take Crusader at 2nd level, there will only be three 1st level maneuvers you can yet learn via Crusader so this is all you would be able to learn. You would only be able to ready those three Crusader maneuvers, and if you take Extra Granted Maneuver you would have all three of those readied and granted anew every round. This trick is called the Idiot Crusader, since he knows fewer Crusader maneuvers than he should.

Lord Haart
2014-07-17, 03:59 AM
You use Crusader recovery mechanics for your Crusader maneuvers and Warblade recovery for Warblade maneuvers. Simple as that.

That said: at the beginning of the encounter, you have X Crusader maneuvers and W Warblade maneuvers readied, so you start with G+W maneuvers avaiable (and X-G maneuvers withheld), where G is Crusader granted maneuvers, chosen at random. You get additional granted maneuvers each round (from your Crusader list only!) as usual, and you recover your expended Crusader maneuvers (and only Crusader maneuvers, if i understand this correctly: although the rules text of "you recover all your expended maneuvers" at the page 10 of TOB seems somewhat open to sweet RAW arguements, i've never seen the arguement in question be made which, on this forum, could only happen if there's a reason it doesn't work by RAW) and are re-granted two of them whenever you end your turn with no maneuvers withheld. Meanwhile, whenever you expend a Warblade maneuver it's gone until you use Warblade mechanics to refresh all of your Warblade maneuvers.

To clarify: "Crusader maneuvers" and "Warblade maneuvers" here refers to the specific maneuvers you've chosen whenever a given class had an increase in maneuvers known, rather than to maneuvers avaiable to the class (which would cause an overlap in cases of Stone Dragon and White Raven).

I'm gonna be swordsaged, right?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-17, 04:01 AM
Wow. I actually swordsaged two people in a Tome of Battle thread.

Pity it's a thread that has nothing to do with Swordsages. :smallsigh:

cheetah
2014-07-17, 04:49 AM
thanks guys.

I had heard about the d2 crusader but never heard about the "idiot" crusader.:smallbiggrin: