PDA

View Full Version : Long live the Belkar? (spoilers)

Spiryt
2007-03-01, 02:01 PM
I was thinking about this strip:

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html

When it appeared it seemed clear: Belkar will kick the bucket quite soon ( probably in this whole gates quest)

BUT look at this strip
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html
It now appears that no matter how long their quest will take, belkar will anyway have year to serve.

So maybe should '' savor his next birthday cake" beacuse it's rather low possibility that guards will remember and make him some " cell party". And pinata.
All seems reasonable ( Oracle likely give some equivocal precognision- it's the thing that Oracles do).
However, i'm from Poland and i totaly don't get the IRA thing. Could someone explain? Are THOSE kobold's words gap in my theory?

fwiffo
2007-03-01, 02:16 PM
However, i'm from Poland and i totaly don't get the IRA thing. Could someone explain? Are THOSE kobold's words gap in my theory?

IRA is Individual Retirement Account. It is basically an account where you save money tax-free, and then withdraw it after you retire.

Oracle's jab was that Belkar is not going to live long enough to retire, so he should not put money into that account. But, since it was done when Oracle was in his wiseass mode and not in the communicating with gods trance mode, that is not a real prediction - just a joke on Oracle's part.

vbushido
2007-03-01, 02:19 PM
An IRA is an Individual Retirement Account, a fund set up to keep oneself comfortable in old age. If someone knows he's going to die young, there would be no point in building up his IRA.

-----
Do not awaken the ancient evil, YOU MORON!

Spiryt
2007-03-01, 02:34 PM
Ok thank you guys. I was suspecting something like that, but i wasn't certain. There are many IRA's in Wiki so i can't make it sure :smallbiggrin:

Anyway what you think about my idea?

Hel65
2007-03-01, 02:39 PM
But, since it was done when Oracle was in his wiseass mode and not in the communicating with gods trance mode, that is not a real prediction - just a joke on Oracle's part.

Except the fact that the Oracle still saw the future in the wiseass mode (e.g. reading translation of Haley's speech).

The Extinguisher
2007-03-01, 03:23 PM
I like that idea. He doesn't get any cake in jail, and there is a huge IRA scandal that gets it shut down.

Porthos
2007-03-01, 03:36 PM
IRA is Individual Retirement Account. It is basically an account where you save money tax-free, and then withdraw it after you retire.

Oracle's jab was that Belkar is not going to live long enough to retire, so he should not put money into that account. But, since it was done when Oracle was in his wiseass mode and not in the communicating with gods trance mode, that is not a real prediction - just a joke on Oracle's part.

Except the fact that the Oracle still saw the future in the wiseass mode (e.g. reading translation of Haley's speech).

Not only that, but his predictions about a "pair of family reunions" came true as well. So I think I am going to take the Oracles "wise-ass" predictions at face value until given a reason not to. :smallsmile:

Oxymoron
2007-03-01, 04:44 PM
Belkar will probably die and so will Miko, but in a world with a proven afterlife, who cares? It won`t happen before the last strips anyway and Rich will certainly make it worthwhile to watch.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-03-01, 05:29 PM
Belkar will probably die and so will Miko, but in a world with a proven afterlife, who cares? It won`t happen before the last strips anyway and Rich will certainly make it worthwhile to watch.

They'll die together at the hands of their infant son Shojo.

Charity322
2007-03-01, 05:58 PM
I sort of hope that the Oracle was just screwing with Belkar because he was being a jerk, but that's cause even if he is a homicidal maniac I don't want him to get killed.

Guess we'll find out eventually hehe.

Renrik
2007-03-01, 07:56 PM
Ok thank you guys. I was suspecting something like that, but i wasn't certain. There are many IRA's in Wiki so i can't make it sure :smallbiggrin:

Hehe heh. I can just imagine the oracle advising Belkar not to invest in Ulster-based militant republic groups.

Piyo*Go
2007-03-07, 02:34 PM
I think it's quite possible that Belkar will die, but don't forget that he still get's to cause the death of either Roy, Miko, Miko's horse, Vaarsuvius, or the Oracle, and I'm pretty sure that will happe nbefore he dies. Methinks the one who's death he causes will be Miko, since I really doubt that V or Roy will get killed, since Giant hasn't revealed barely anything about his/her past, and Roy still has Xykon to kill and the gates to protect. Belkar said himself that since Miko's not a paladin anymore, her horse is also out of the picture, and it wouldn't make any sense if the Oracle would die, since he isn't anywhere around. So yeah, Belkar will probably kill Miko somewhere along the battle (I think that she is smart and motivated enough to escape the cell either to help to defend the city or with Liner Guild to get her revenge) or soon after it, and will die himself before going back to jail for his one year of imprisonment. The other option I thought of would be that since Oracle never said that Belkar will kill anyone (he still has the Mark of Justice), rather than merely cause the death, it's possible that while Miko is busy and distracted finishing Belkar off, she will die by the hand of Redcloak of other enemy, thus both will die as prophecy said. There's several other options too, when you think of the whole 'causing the death' rather than 'kill'.

Oxymoron
2007-03-07, 03:25 PM
Belkar should savor his next birthday cake, so unless there hasn`t been almost a year since his last birthday, he still got lots of months left to live. That`s plenty of time to for him and the rest of the Oots to foil Xykons plans to conquer the remaining gates.

SteveMB
2007-03-07, 03:44 PM
since Miko's not a paladin anymore, her horse is also out of the picture
Not really; "Miko's stupid horse" could be another horse.

zeratul
2007-03-07, 03:54 PM
I was thinking about this strip:

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html

When it appeared it seemed clear: Belkar will kick the bucket quite soon ( probably in this whole gates quest)

BUT look at this strip
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html
It now appears that no matter how long their quest will take, belkar will anyway have year to serve.

So maybe should '' savor his next birthday cake" beacuse it's rather low possibility that guards will remember and make him some " cell party". And pinata.
All seems reasonable ( Oracle likely give some equivocal precognision- it's the thing that Oracles do).
Belkar is a main character, the giant wont kill him.

happyturtle
2007-03-07, 05:09 PM
He said in 261 that killing the guard was 'like my birthday come early', and it's only been a few days of strip time since then. But we don't know how early is early...