PDA

View Full Version : Jade Empire: Special Edition

slipnslide
2007-03-01, 02:46 PM
anybody else picked up the PC version they released this week? i must say it is freaking awesome. great graphics on the PC and the new additions are really cool. if you are an RPG fan you gotta check it out.

brian c
2007-03-01, 03:19 PM
anybody else picked up the PC version they released this week? i must say it is freaking awesome. great graphics on the PC and the new additions are really cool. if you are an RPG fan you gotta check it out.

I played through the game on Xbox a couple years ago; it was a good game but not good enough that I wanted to play it again

Zincorium
2007-03-01, 05:38 PM
Allo, this belongs in a different forum, please pm one of the mods and ask them to move it.

Om
2007-03-02, 05:13 AM
I'll be getting it. Eventually.

S.ilver
2007-03-02, 07:21 AM
I was disappointed that Jade Empire wasn't originally released for PC, so yes, I will be getting this version. It looks pretty sweet.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-02, 08:57 AM
I own the limited edition for my Xbox. Is there anything new in the PC version which might warrant a look?

Om
2007-03-02, 09:04 AM
I own the limited edition for my Xbox. Is there anything new in the PC version which might warrant a look?I know that the graphics have been ramped up and I remember talk of new fighting styles. After a bit of clicking wikipedia says...

"Changes from the Xbox version includes increased resolutions up to 1600x1200, new special effects and redrawn textures; two new iron palm and viper fighting styles; a new rhino demon transformation; new monsters; new high level weapons; an improved AI, with enemies able to take cover more often; a new "Jade Master" difficulty level, with ability to import savegames; a new world map interface; and keyboard and hotkey support. It also contains a bonus art book and poster."

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-02, 10:27 AM
Alright, so it's essentially a prettier version of the same game I already own, with a couple items of new material. I think I'll take a pass, really. While the new difficulty setting does vaguely interest me, it doesn't interest me enough to repurchase a game I bought fourteen months ago.

slipnslide
2007-03-02, 10:28 AM
nah, trust me it's worth it. i am having so much fun with it. the new graphics are great. the additions are cool too. if you liked the game at all before, you'll like this. gotta love the new fighting styles. im telling you it's worth it.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-02, 10:43 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong I have no doubt it's probably great, but worth it might be an entirely different story. I've already played through the game twice (once for the Open Palm and once for the Closed Fist), so I've gotten most of the story. I've picked up most of the schools of fighting already. I've done most of the side quests in the game.

The artbook might be the only thing that interests me about it. Why buy Jade Empire again when I can buy a new RPG I haven't played yet?

Tola
2007-03-02, 11:25 AM
a new "Jade Master" difficulty level, with ability to import savegames

Wait, so there's effectively a New Game+ mode? Interesting.

Good gods, how bad must the 'last boss' be then? He's bad enough even on NORMAL?

(For reference: 'Last Boss' is technically a spoiler. There may still be those who don't know who it is.)

Om
2007-03-02, 02:41 PM
Well it is a port lankybugger. No new storylines are such should be expected. I probably wouldn't be buying the game if I'd already completed it.

That means that I'll not appreciate any open spoilers from anyone :smallannoyed:

Auraboks
2007-03-02, 02:45 PM
Normally I stay away from ported games, but they seem to have done a very good job with that on this one. So since I don't own an Xbox, I will likely get the Special Edition sometime soon-ish.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-02, 03:44 PM
Oh, totally. If you haven't played the game, you may as well pick up this prettyfied version, especially if you enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II.

Om
2007-03-02, 04:19 PM
Bah. Checked the system requirements and I don't meet them. Or rather my laptop doesn't and my PC meets the minimum. So I guess that I'll have to wait a year or two before I get a new PC. Perhaps I'll get it bundled with NWN2 :smallmad:

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-02, 07:12 PM
Om: May as well just snag a used XBox at EB Games... They're practically giving them away now. ;)

Om
2007-03-02, 07:27 PM
I'll not tarnish my home with a console :smallbiggrin:

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-02, 07:30 PM
I'll not tarnish my home with a console :smallbiggrin:

Bah, you're missing out!

Besides, an XBox is practically a PC anyway. It's just one you can hook up to your TV.

Logic
2007-03-05, 04:58 AM
Consoles have one main advantage over PCs. You dont have to constant check whether or not your console will be capable of running a game. You want a game, you buy it, and play it. One reason it appeals to the masses. (Yes, I know that there are multiple consoles and not all play on all systems. That is what the header on the package is for.)

slipnslide
2007-03-05, 12:22 PM
a new "Jade Master" difficulty level, with ability to import savegames

Wait, so there's effectively a New Game+ mode? Interesting.

Good gods, how bad must the 'last boss' be then? He's bad enough even on NORMAL?

(For reference: 'Last Boss' is technically a spoiler. There may still be those who don't know who it is.)

the new difficulty level is definitely one of the coolest new features. but even if you have played this game before, the pc version is awesome. it has a great storyline, so i dont mind going through it again. and i cant even imagine how bad the last boss will be....we'll have to wait and see...

atteSmythe
2007-03-06, 11:46 AM
I just got this! Having no Xbox, and therefore having not played the game before, I fired it up for the first time last night. The first thing that struck me, after hitting the review sites, is that the fighting is more difficult than I thought it would be. The review sites all panned the combat as too easy, merely a formality. I'm guessing it's a difference between console gaming and PC gaming - very few fighting games for the PC!

Joran
2007-03-06, 12:57 PM
I'm definitely interested in this new difficulty level. Even on hard, Jade Empire was ridiculously easy (jump, hit, jump, hit, rinse and repeat).

I'll probably wait for it to drop in price before snagging it though.

Shikton
2007-03-06, 03:08 PM
Bah, you're all evil. Tempting me to order this when I really can't afford it... Shame on you!

slipnslide
2007-03-06, 03:14 PM
you can always afford and awesome piece of gaming! (if you really cant, save some money for this one, it's well worth it)

i agree guys...the new difficulty level makes it a new challenge. im really happy with this pick up.

Shikton
2007-03-06, 03:16 PM
I already ordered it.:)

slipnslide
2007-03-07, 10:01 AM
well you won't regret it! it's such a fun game. probably the greatest pick up for the pc i have had in a really long time. enjoy! :)

Tola
2007-03-07, 10:44 AM
To those who have it: let the rest of us know how the new difficulty is, would you?

Shikton
2007-03-07, 11:07 AM
At least it was cheap (£17 or something) so it's worth a try. Been looking at it for a good while anyway, so when I can get it I get it. Did that with NWN2 as well, but neither of my comps will run it. :P

Dragor
2007-03-07, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking about it. I splashed out my money on Supreme Commander, though, so I'll have to scrounge for money.

Gonzodave
2007-03-07, 01:21 PM
Is it me or is Paralyzing Palm incredibly broken? I killed *****'s **** and ****** ** without taking a single hit, just chaining Paralyzing Palm with Chi strikes.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-12, 01:39 PM
Is it me or is Paralyzing Palm incredibly broken? I killed *****'s **** and ****** ** without taking a single hit, just chaining Paralyzing Palm with Chi strikes.

They're all broken. Storm Dragon is just as broken and way easier to get. Hidden Fist is a bit more annoying to use but almost just as broken.

I tended to switch between martial and paralyzing palm, that's slightly less broken.

In principle this game is so easy.

Joran
2007-03-12, 01:51 PM
Hence the reason why the game was too easy.

Paralyzing Palm and Storm Dragon were pretty overpowered. The leap and attack, leap and attack were also guaranteed ways to win.

The story was great, I loved the characters, but I hated the combat system.

I'm going to wait for it to hit around $20 and then buy it just because I liked the story and wish to play it again.

Shikton
2007-03-13, 11:35 AM
Just got around to installing and playing it, and so far it seems quite fun. Reminds be a bit of KotOR, which is nice. I just chose that prefabricated fast guy, and he seems to work well for me, especially once I got the sword. Muy fun. Not gotten far though, only just crashed the plane.

The Evil Thing
2007-03-14, 12:57 PM
Hmm, I'm going to cave and get the game. Can't be that bad, though I worry that the console controls are not going to work very well on the PC *cough*Fable*cough*

Shikton
2007-03-14, 02:38 PM
The controls are easy to work with. At least I think so, and I suck at these kinda games on consoles! Still haven't figured out most of the controls I'm sure, but I've worked out some nice tactics. Works now at least.

atteSmythe
2007-03-14, 03:47 PM
I finished a runthrough on a 'power' character, and it was tough for me in places. I've started a second game at the second-highest difficulty level, but with a speed character, and once I got to 6-8th level or so, I'm finding the going to be much, much easier.

slipnslide
2007-03-15, 04:21 PM
Hmm, I'm going to cave and get the game. Can't be that bad, though I worry that the console controls are not going to work very well on the PC *cough*Fable*cough*

you won't regret it. the controls work great. i'm having soo much fun with it. jade empire pwns.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-22, 07:34 PM
I'm actually interested in the game, but I doubt it'll run on my laptop. What are the system reqs?

(HINT: I had to turn KOTOR II down to the lowest possible quality in every visual setting... and that made it playable)

slipnslide
2007-03-27, 09:16 AM
I'm actually interested in the game, but I doubt it'll run on my laptop. What are the system reqs?

(HINT: I had to turn KOTOR II down to the lowest possible quality in every visual setting... and that made it playable)

Hopefully you have at least the minimum...that way you can have as much fun as i am... :smallbiggrin: here are the specs:

Minimum System Requirements
Windows XP
* Pentium 4 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 1800XP
* 512 MB RAM
* 8 GB free HD space
* 1x or better DVD-ROM drive
* NVIDIA GeForce 6200 or ATI 9500 or better (Shader Model 2.0 required)
* 100% DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card and drivers.
* DirectX 9.0

Recommended System Requirements
Windows XP
* 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB RAM
* 8 GB free HD space
* 1x or better DVD-ROM drive
* ATI X600 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher recommended
* 100% DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card and drivers.
* DirectX 9.0 February 2006

Shikton
2007-04-09, 05:20 AM
Gotta say, after playing this probably halfway through I'm REALLY bored. I'm in the spirit world or whatever, and I don't really feel the urge to play more. I find that combat is especially boring and repetitive... Gah! Oh well, at least I've tried it now :P

Irenicus
2007-04-12, 12:15 AM
Well, having played the original, I can say that it's too similar to the original.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-26, 11:53 AM
I was interested in this as soon as I heard about it. I bought it and now, a few weeks later, I've beaten it three times. This has got to be one of the best games I've ever experienced. I enjoy it even more than Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2.

Joran
2007-04-26, 12:13 PM
I had a problem with the original version resolution to the plot:

The reason why the Emperor imprisoned the Water Dragon was to end a drought; a drought that was necessary. Of course, it also had the side-effect of making him a god.

How come in the end, when you decide to release the Water Dragon, the drought doesn't immediately resume? It would have made the choice a little harder...

Feel free to respond via PM. It'd probably be annoying to have a bunch of spoiler tags around ;)

Khantalas
2007-04-26, 12:17 PM
Perhaps it outlasted its natural course?

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-26, 05:50 PM
I've seen a similar question on the official Bioware forums, and that answer was pretty much the consensus.

Joran
2007-04-27, 11:10 AM
heh, I'm not happy with that answer, but then again it is their world, they can do whatever they want with it.

P.S. Was that a canon answer or conjecture on the part of the board denizens?