PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Shaman Gish

Blackhawk748
2014-07-17, 05:58 PM
Heres the build, Dwarf Fighter 2/Spirit Shaman 4/(insert decent PrC here) with at least 1 flaw, maybe a second

1-Shield Specialization, Wild Cohort (leopard), Dodge, (maybe Ancestral Relic this would require feat reshuffling)
2-Shield Ward
3-Somatic Weaponry
6- Titan Fighting

He'll be wielding a Dwarven Waraxe and using a Hide shield, i seem to recall hearing about a feat that prevents AoOs from spell casting when you have a shield. Hell be a front line support fighter for the most part, so ill be throwing A LOT of Entangles and probably do a bit of healing too, so any PrC that could help with that would be great.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-07-17, 06:10 PM
Actually, you might want to consider 11 levels of Spirit Shaman.

Hear me out. You see that ability that you get at 11th level? That is awesome.

I've actually had a player play a pure SS (Aasimar 1/Spirit Shaman 19) and he quite enjoyed it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-17, 06:18 PM
Spirit Shamans aren't prohibited from using metal armor/shields like Druids are. They have no code of conduct or alignment restrictions, they can basically do whatever they want without risk of falling or losing class features. So feel free to use whatever armor/shields you want on this.

I'd make the character a Fighter 1/ Spirit Shaman 6/ Master of Radiance 1+/ whatever. Pick up DMM: Persistent since MoR gives you Turn Undead, and use a Persistent Flame Blade for your melee weapon. It's wielded like a scimitar, but it automatically extends from your hand without any effort on your part to hold onto it, so you should still be able to use that hand to cast spells without any problems. Use Fell Drain and/or Fell Frighten with that and you'll inflict a negative level and/or a shaken > frightened > panicked condition every time you hit with it. Use a tower shield since you'll be making touch attacks with that and shouldn't need to worry too much about your attack bonus.

The feat you were thinking of is Shielded Casting in Races of Stone, which requires Combat Casting and Concentration 5+ ranks. I wouldn't say it's worth taking, as the Concentration check to cast defensively are often extremely easy to make.

Warlocknthewind
2014-07-17, 06:49 PM
I recommend Knight of the Raven from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. 9/10 CL, full BAB, Sun Domain, a Turning pool, and the icing is a nifty Raven familiar/companion that has a good amount of utility. You don't even lose out on any ghost busting ability, since you have smite & detect undead that parallels a paladin's ability.

If you can figure out a way to get Protection From Evil on your spell list somehow, you can qualify for Prestiege Paladin after three levels of KotR, for even more Charisma Synergy Goodness. If you can accomplish THIS things get even better when you take Fist of Raziel to top off the build with awesome permanent buffs, 18 BAB, 9's, and 17CL.

:D how do you get Prot from Evil on the list?!

nedz
2014-07-17, 07:03 PM
I quite like
Elf Monk 2 / Spirit Shaman 3 / Seeker of the Mist Isle 9 / Ruather 3 / Spirit Shaman +3
Now you lose 3 caster levels, but you get quite a few skill points, you will usually win Spot checks and you can take Sun School at 9th — which is when you can first retrieve Dimension Door.
Idea is to Flurry with a Quarterstaff using Shillelagh etc.

AMFV
2014-07-17, 07:08 PM
Fist of Raziel would be my recommendation, for some nice Charisma synergy, also lots and lots of smiting.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-17, 07:48 PM
Fist of Raziel looks sweet, sadly i dont have Divine Favor on my spell list so thats out, however Knight of the Raven is wonderful as ive played it once before, ill see if i can take it.

Though looking at it, Spirit Shaman has got a lot of cool stuff so going Fighter 2/ Spirit Shaman 18 wouldnt be terrible.

And Shielded Casting is just right out, i didnt know that it had a pre req.

AMFV
2014-07-17, 07:51 PM
Fist of Raziel looks sweet, sadly i dont have Divine Favor on my spell list so thats out, however Knight of the Raven is wonderful as ive played it once before, ill see if i can take it.

Though looking at it, Spirit Shaman has got a lot of cool stuff so going Fighter 2/ Spirit Shaman 18 wouldnt be terrible.

You could always dip Cleric for it. A Cleric dip can give you all kinds of snazzy domain things, also turning, so it might be worth it.

Telok
2014-07-17, 11:45 PM

Duskblade 3 / Spirit Shaman ++

Duskblade gets Combat Casting as a bonus feat and delivering your touch spells through weapon attacks.

Vaz
2014-07-17, 11:54 PM
It is important to note that Duskblade can be used to channel your Spirit Shaman Attacks as well.

Kennisiou
2014-07-18, 02:41 AM
Another class I'd like to point out is Windwalker from faiths and Pantheons. It's a 10-level prestige class that gives full BaB, full divine casting progression, improves your spell list by giving you access to all the spells in the travel and air domains, and gives a bunch of randomly useful class features like cold resistance, soft fall, at-will air walk... Just a ridiculously strong class. Capstone is a permanent (Su) fly speed of 100 feet (good), which is just excellent in so many ways.

Downsides are it's a 3.0 class so you'll need to tweak the entry requirements some (intuit direction and wilderness lore are both required for entry, in 3.5 they were both combined into the survival skill), and that since hide and move silently aren't class skills for the spirit shaman you won't be able to enter Wind Walker until level 8 unless you dip into a class where they are class skills (probably not worth it for anything except a 1-level factotum with able learner dip at first level). It also has some pretty harsh feat taxes, as it requires Lightning Reflexes, Track, and Weapon Focus (greatsword) to enter, but unless you plan on pulling off metamagic tricks (and SS really doesn't have access to good tricks there anyways) then you'll get a lot more out of this class's features than you will out of those three feats. The class also requires you to be a human, half-elf, or air genasi and has a deity requirement you can talk to your DM about refluffing if it's appropriate for your campaign.

For real, this prestige class is practically made for spirit shaman gishes. Adding travel and air domains to your spell list in particular is great for a class that normally can't cast teleport.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-18, 11:04 PM
I have just realized that i have a 28 AC when fighting a Large opponent that is the target of my Dodge feat, wow. So my goal of being a decent tank has been met :smalltongue:

Also i have made the decision that i will simply continue to keep going with Spirit Shaman, its got pretty sweet class feature so i think ill be pretty happy. So now i need recommendations for spells to use. I will be controlling/supporting (mostly healing here) so Entangle is an obvious one as is Lesser Vigour. That leaves me with 1 more first level spell to prepare and 1 2nd level, as well as my Orisons. Thoughts?