PDA

View Full Version : Thrown and Versatile

Feldarove
2014-07-17, 07:09 PM
Can you use two hands to throw a Thrown Weapon with the Versatile classification to gain the higher dice damage?

Example:

Spear has the thrown and versatile property. Normally when wielded in melee with one hand it does d6 damage, in two-hands it does d8. If I have two-hands available to throw the weapon, can I do so, allowing me to do d8 damage?

In real life, is throwing a spear or trident with two-hands feasible? The only thing I know about thrown weapons in real life is the javelin in the Olympics, and that is typically thrown with one hand. Perhaps that would help answer the question?

m4th
2014-07-17, 07:19 PM
No. Versatile states that the damage in parenthesis is used when making a melee attack with two hands.

In real life, you can throw a (big) hammer with two hands if you spin around first like a shot put, but not javelins or spears. The mechanics get all wonky and you don't get any speed in your arm.

Feldarove
2014-07-17, 07:44 PM
No. Versatile states that the damage in parenthesis is used when making a melee attack with two hands.

Damn....I just got Agimimnon'd.....

Thanks for the answer!

http://www.3rdedition.org/agimimnon/index.asp

rlc
2014-07-19, 08:03 PM
well, you probably could throw a spear or javelin with two hands, but you wouldn't get much out of it.
the better question is why did i never think of throwing the javelin with two hands in track and field? i did pretty much every other crazy thing...

Sartharina
2014-07-20, 02:46 AM
well, you probably could throw a spear or javelin with one hand, but you wouldn't get much out of it.
the better question is why did i never think of throwing the javelin with two hands in track and field? i did pretty much every other crazy thing...

Trying to throw an object with two hands screws up the leverage something awful. Your arms would be working against each other more than working with each other, and it would greatly constrain the radial motion needed to actually throw something.

rlc
2014-07-20, 07:30 AM
right, hence the "wouldn't get much out of it" part, though it depends on the object's properties more than the fact that it's an object. spears and javelins are long and thin, so throwing them with one hand is better. a ball, you could probably throw just as well with one or two hands, though one hand tends to get more momentum, because it's easier to pull it back. if you're throwing something too bulky or heavy for you to really even hold with one hand, you won't be able to throw it with one hand, either.

edit: oh, i see what you're saying. yeah, that was supposed to say "could probably throw a spear or javelin with two hands" not "with one hand"
will fix that typo now.

Balyano
2014-07-20, 07:38 AM
At the county fair ax throwing has both a one-handed competition and a two-handed one, as well as hatchet throwing. I would suppose a versatile ax could be thrown either way. Same with hammers I guess, but not spears.