PDA

View Full Version : What would make Miko happy

Lorde
2007-03-01, 03:35 PM
Satisfied with the ideas floating on the "What made Miko angry", I started to think what would make her smile.

I think killing Belkar would make her day, for good or for worse.

Rampage induced happiness is still happiness.

MrBean13
2007-03-01, 03:45 PM
She should join thog for a rampage on ice cream. I guess she's just angry because she got too few carbohydrates (spelling?). A bit sugar should pretty easy make her day. :smallbiggrin:

FujinAkari
2007-03-01, 04:05 PM
Treasure Type O... she'd fight like hell trying to get there, but if someone actually got her some...

MrBean13
2007-03-01, 04:13 PM
She once had the chance. So I guess, If Roy stood up to her and told her he was sorry for insulting her (and actually mean it) and asking her out she would pretty much cry out of happiness. But Roy's somehow together with Celia, so, no point for Miko receiving treasure type O from him. And who else would be suitable for her?

FujinAkari
2007-03-01, 04:16 PM
Well, Hinjo WOULD have been perfect, except that whole, killing his grandfather, kinda makes that impossible (or at least, very unlikely) now...

MrBean13
2007-03-01, 04:17 PM
Right. So, no way for Miko to be happy ever again?

Lorde
2007-03-01, 04:18 PM
She once had the chance. So I guess, If Roy stood up to her and told her he was sorry for insulting her (and actually mean it) and asking her out she would pretty much cry out of happiness. But Roy's somehow together with Celia, so, no point for Miko receiving treasure type O from him. And who else would be suitable for her?

I risk to say if Miko wanted, she won't have problem finding a partner.

yenober
2007-03-01, 04:23 PM
Miko would be very happy after a nice warm bath.... :smallamused:

IN THE BLOOD OF THE EVIL ROY GREENHILT AND HIS VILLAINOUS BAND ORDER OF THE STICK! :furious:

Aaahh, now that is how Miko would like to relax... :miko:

Face it, treasure type "O" is way overrated. :smalltongue:

Even more so when you never get any. :smallbiggrin:

Dectilon
2007-03-01, 04:23 PM
Seeing as she is utterly insane (people forget that now and then : ) I'd say complete isolation (aka, the disappearance of everyone else) : P

MrBean13
2007-03-01, 04:24 PM
Okay, but two things. First, who would it possibly be? And, second, whou would probably hook up with her, when he knows her as well as for example Roy does or as well as we might do? Sure, she's looks good, as Sabine pointed out, but is a good look really the one and only thing about someone to love? I believe she couldn't stop being so overly lawful and all this. Heck, she might even want to wait for receiving her first treasure type O until after she got married. Not to say that this would be wrong, it's just old-fashioned.

Setra
2007-03-01, 04:24 PM
What would make her happy... Hmm..

The Truth, if she weren't so blind as to not see it.

...Did that come out correctly?

MrBean13
2007-03-01, 04:35 PM
Do you really think, that if Miko weren't too blind to actually see the truth she would be happy to see it? I mean, she lost here paladinhood for an unlawful act, she got imprisoned and she thought she was right the whole time. And if she knew she wasn't, would that make her happy? I guess she would be just really sad and if able will never ever be ale to fulfill whatever tasks she might have as a paladin/ex-paladin/blackguard.

MReav
2007-03-01, 05:20 PM
Dead Ogres (hey, it made her smile).

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-03-01, 05:25 PM
Miko will be happy when all the world obeys her moral code at her command.

Of course, five seconds into that, she'll be angry again because someone coughed out of turn.

Seeing as she is utterly insane (people forget that now and then : ) I'd say complete isolation (aka, the disappearance of everyone else) : P

Ooh, I want that!

Tokiko Mima
2007-03-01, 05:32 PM
Two words: Calm Emotions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmEmotions.htm)

TomMc
2007-03-01, 06:00 PM
What would make Miko happy?

The thing that ".. makes the world go round". And I don't mean the "treasure type", but a genuine emotional relationship with somebody patient and understanding (Durkon?! Heh.. :).
However, it wont bring action into the story, so it's an unlikely turn of events. Well, I hope Miko is going to be happy in her afterlife.. on Mount Celestia or whatever.

Demented
2007-03-01, 06:24 PM
Halfling-On-A-Stick

TinSoldier
2007-03-01, 11:04 PM
Halfling-On-A-StickYes! That could make almost anyone happy.

Tokiko Mima
2007-03-01, 11:06 PM
Except for the Halfling! :smalleek:

TinSoldier
2007-03-01, 11:08 PM
Except for the Halfling! :smalleek:I did say "almost"!

Atheist_Cleric
2007-03-01, 11:21 PM
The only thing that would make Miko happy would be finding out she was right. If the 12 gods appeared before her, told her she was right about shojo, and hinjo, and the OOTS, and everything else, and yes she was special, and yes they did have a special plan for her, then she would be happy.

It seems to me that Miko is simply desperate to be seen as "good". She wants her actions to be ackowledged by the gods and the world as the right thing, and possibly to be put in a position of great authority so she can enforce her unique views on people. Its kind of sad really, you can see her going to pray at the end of the sabine neck-snap, all she really wants is the gods she thinks she's been following the will of all her life to tell her that she's a good girl, a special girl.

Treasure type 0 or halfling on a stick probably wouldnt hurt though.

Snake-Aes
2007-03-01, 11:41 PM
She's got a chance twice. Can't say the same about a halfling-on-a-stick. They're too crunchy sometimes. I like it slightly smooth

Draedan
2007-03-01, 11:48 PM
Its kind of sad really, you can see her going to pray at the end of the sabine neck-snap, all she really wants is the gods she thinks she's been following the will of all her life to tell her that she's a good girl, a special girl.

Interesting theory...in essence it is as though she is seeking "daddy's approval" on a divine level.

I guess in the end all she wants is to be loved :smallbiggrin:

happyturtle
2007-03-02, 03:29 AM
She did seem happy in the throne room when she told Hinjo (paraphrased) 'I know you don't see the whole picture, but I do' and everything was completely clear to her. Miko likes everything black and white, and the path to accepting the ambiguity of the real world and finding a way to be happy there will be long and painful.

Tokiko Mima
2007-03-02, 03:48 AM
Interesting theory...in essence it is as though she is seeking "daddy's approval" on a divine level.

I guess in the end all she wants is to be loved :smallbiggrin:

Isn't that what everyone wants? :smallsmile:

I don't think Miko is a monster, or crazy, but I do think she's self destructing.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-03-02, 05:29 AM
A little song, a little dance, Belkar's head on a lance.

Dectilon
2007-03-02, 08:57 AM
Just because you don't shout "The otters are comming!" at random people and smear feces on the wall doesn't mean you're not mental : )

AK-00
2007-03-02, 09:31 AM
How about a direct hot-line to the gods, allowing them to clearly tell her exactly what they want her to do at all times, instead of just expecting her to guess?

kialos
2007-03-02, 10:15 AM
Maybe, an opening to her deep seated emotional Issues. Them when she finally comes to terms with her scars. She'll be happy for about 5 seconds, then she'll Kill Belkar and loose all of it :P

Charles Phipps
2007-03-02, 10:20 AM
Hinjo as a puppy.

BardicLasher
2007-03-02, 10:24 AM
How about a direct hot-line to the gods, allowing them to clearly tell her exactly what they want her to do at all times, instead of just expecting her to guess?

You mean a Phylactery of Faithfullness?

...Actually, yeah, that'd be a REALLY good idea for Miko... She'd love somthing lik that, and it would keep her in line...

Woot Spitum
2007-03-02, 10:36 AM
Roy begging for forgiveness, a straightforward way to follow the will of the gods, a chance to say "I told you so," the moral high ground, smiting Xykon, smiting Belkar hard, and a puppy. I think that about covers it.

BardicLasher
2007-03-02, 10:44 AM
What's Miko gonna do with a puppy?

AK-00
2007-03-02, 10:59 AM
You mean a Phylactery of Faithfullness?

...Actually, yeah, that'd be a REALLY good idea for Miko... She'd love somthing lik that, and it would keep her in line...

I had no idea there was such a thing. Sounds perfect, though. Of course, it might wear a little thin with her, over time...

BardicLasher
2007-03-02, 11:01 AM
Phylactery of Faithfulness: This item is a small box containing religious scripture affixed to a leather cord and tied around the forehead. There is no mundane way to determine what function this religious item performs until it is worn. The wearer of a phylactery of faithfulness is aware of any action or item that could adversely affect his alignment and his standing with his deity, including magical effects. He acquires this information prior to performing such an action or becoming associated with such an item if he takes a moment to contemplate the act.

Faint divination; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law; Price 1,000 gp.

Ampersand
2007-03-02, 11:04 AM

Hold it, and cuddle it, and name it George, of course.

Or eat it, depending on which half the forums you listen to. :smalltongue:

Woot Spitum
2007-03-02, 11:18 AM

No matter what everyone else thinks of you, a puppy will always love you. Plus, it will never disagree with your idea of Lawful Good, it will just sit there, wagging its tail whenever you mention its name.

yenober
2007-03-02, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ampersand

Originally Posted by BardicLasher

Those choices are not mutually exclusive. But after eating the puppy, cuddling it is not an option.

Jari Kafghan
2007-03-02, 12:04 PM
Since she fell I don't think its possible anymore. She might derive some minor pleasure, or amusement from things like "Halfing on a stick" but overall, I don't think she can be happy any more. Her idea of her being perfect has been shattered, and no matter how much she tries to blame it on other people there will always be part of her that blames herself, and that same part won't allow her to ever be happy again.

Lady_Orc
2007-03-02, 12:27 PM
I was going to say that what she wants most is being acknowledged as having been right all along about the OOTS and Shojo, but then I started thinking more about it.

Miko, at this point, doesn't really seem to care what anybody else believes, other than the little voices in her head telling her she is the Chosen One, she is doing the right thing, etc. Hinjo couldn't get through to her, and even the gods stripping her of her paladin powers wasn't enough to convince her that she did something wrong. I wonder if there is anything or anybody who could?

(Incidentally, I find her a much more interesting character after her fall. Not more likable by any means, but interesting, since she really could go either way from here.)

Karkadinn
2007-03-02, 12:32 PM
She once had the chance. So I guess, If Roy stood up to her and told her he was sorry for insulting her (and actually mean it) and asking her out she would pretty much cry out of happiness.

Huh. Is that really what you think she'd do? 'Cause I think she'd tell him to get bent. :smallbiggrin: Or at least politely but coldly reject him and continue fighting or walk off. If she didn't cry when she actually fell... or woke up in prison after attacking Hinjo... well, I'm not sure what it would take to get her to cry, but I'm pretty sure it'd take more than Roy apologizing.

Dectilon
2007-03-02, 12:33 PM

Train it to kill her enemies is my bet.

Also, using the phylactery seems kinda meaningless (even if the adverse effects involve serious pain). As a matter of fact I think she'd see it as a huge insult to be given one of those : )

"The gods speak to me directly! I need to evil artifacts! *slashslashslash*"

Duke of URL
2007-03-02, 12:39 PM
smiting Belkar hard

As in actually "Smite Evil", or as a euphemism for Treasure Type "O"?

Duke of URL
2007-03-02, 12:41 PM
Phylactery of Faithfulness: This item is a small box containing religious scripture affixed to a leather cord and tied around the forehead. There is no mundane way to determine what function this religious item performs until it is worn. The wearer of a phylactery of faithfulness is aware of any action or item that could adversely affect his alignment and his standing with his deity, including magical effects. He acquires this information prior to performing such an action or becoming associated with such an item if he takes a moment to contemplate the act.

Faint divination; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law; Price 1,000 gp.

I think the highlighted portion will explain why such an item would be useless for Miko.

Alfryd
2007-03-02, 05:18 PM
Her idea of her being perfect has been shattered, and no matter how much she tries to blame it on other people there will always be part of her that blames herself, and that same part won't allow her to ever be happy again.
Broadly speaking, yes, one of Miko's major problems is that she's got this huge, pent-up and continuously accumulating back-debt of latent self-loathing that's gonna hit her with interest when and if she's restored to conventional sanity.
So... my choice would be some kind of blanket amnesia going back a good 15 years. High-level Psion might be able to manage it, though on principle I shun the whole game mechanic like the plague. Then, send her off to... ah, yes... Bard school.

MReav
2007-03-02, 05:28 PM
Broadly speaking, yes, one of Miko's major problems is that she's got this huge, pent-up and continuously accumulating back-debt of latent self-loathing that's gonna hit her with interest when and if she's restored to conventional sanity.
So... my choice would be some kind of blanket amnesia going back a good 15 years. High-level Psion might be able to manage it, though on principle I shun the whole game mechanic like the plague. Then, send her off to... ah, yes... Bard school.

I don't know, I think if they can convince her dojo to let her return (hell, using the Psychic Reformation or Level exchange mentioned in PHB 2 such that she's not technically a multiclass), she might enjoy getting back to the old life.

Iranon
2007-03-02, 06:13 PM
In one word... acceptance, as much by herself as others.

She pushes herself far harder than is healthy, gets very little appreciation for it, and compounds her people problems by isolating herself. Far more than physical passion, I believe she needs solidarity and friendship. Perhaps also the experience of having done something meaningful other than smiting evil... if she can get past regarding doing good acts as merely a duty.

happyturtle
2007-03-02, 06:32 PM
In one word... acceptance...

:thog: Thog accept Not-Paladin! Thog and Not-Paladin get ice cream!

Demented
2007-03-02, 06:32 PM
Your alignment can be followed as a conscious act, it's just done so rarely, since you have to suppress your natural character in order to do so.

Theoretically, it should be as easy for a Good character to act Evil as for an Evil character to act Good, but in practice nobody ever treats it that way. (It always makes a better story for Good to become Evil than for Evil to become Good. Except for redemption story arcs.)

Alfryd
2007-03-02, 06:37 PM
Far more than physical passion, I believe she needs solidarity and friendship. Perhaps also the experience of having done something meaningful other than smiting evil... if she can get past regarding doing good acts as merely a duty.
I agree with the sentiment, but alignment doesn't strictly work that way. If you only commit good deeds out of perfunctory observance of some arbitrary code of conduct, you're not G to begin with. But I agree Miko could benefit from first-hand positive emotional experience, if only to remind her what the whole point of smiting evil was in the first place.

...she might enjoy getting back to the old life.
I'm sorry, that charisma is wasted on Monkdom.

Drat. I think I deletedited at the wrong moment.

Demented
2007-03-02, 06:47 PM
It's a temporal paradox!

Nightwing
2007-03-02, 08:47 PM
Gather up every thing miko likes and burn it so she will never be happy!

MReav
2007-03-02, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry, that charisma is wasted on Monkdom.

Well, there is the Perform Skill.

Maybe a cleric then? Put her in contact with the twelve gods in a much more reliable fashion?

Atheist_Cleric
2007-03-03, 01:12 AM
It'd take more than a memory wipe to fix Miko. Remember, even before she went off the deep end and started attacking her fellow paladins and commiting regicide, she was still considred the single-most annoying and hard to deal with paladin. She's always been the strongest paladin, as we've heard...but I doubt this is because of the gods favor or anything. Its probably because she has no life outside of her duty, never has. She was raised by monks, so that means a childhood of chores and training and prayer. Becoming a paladin only made it worse. To totally fix Miko? You'd have to go back in time, give her some real parents she could have instead of 12 mythic animals in the sky, and give her a normal childhood instead of the duty-focused construction she had instead.

Setra
2007-03-03, 01:23 AM
Do you really think, that if Miko weren't too blind to actually see the truth she would be happy to see it? I mean, she lost here paladinhood for an unlawful act, she got imprisoned and she thought she was right the whole time. And if she knew she wasn't, would that make her happy? I guess she would be just really sad and if able will never ever be ale to fulfill whatever tasks she might have as a paladin/ex-paladin/blackguard.

Yes, because then she would be able to correct her mistakes.

Tilian
2007-03-03, 10:41 AM
The entire brutal truth. Only after she realizes that, and finds the strength to make amends for what she has done(with help from others of course) will she ever know a true measure of happiness. Anything else would just compound her delusions and enforce her need for self-justification in order to fill her emptiness.

Well, that or for the approval of her gods and having her "specialness" confirmed, as said before. She would probably be walking on sunshine with that divine confirmation, but it wouldn't be what she needs.

Kal
2007-03-03, 12:53 PM
She should move to a different country, take windstriker out of his Pokeball and pursue/take down Team Rocket

Kal
2007-03-03, 12:54 PM
Or maybe take up the worship of Banjo - he's much more accomodating than the 12 Gods

Woot Spitum
2007-03-03, 02:28 PM
As in actually "Smite Evil", or as a euphemism for Treasure Type "O"?

Smiting in the same manner as she smites Xykon, only more so.

I think what she needs to straighten her out is the sensei she studied under when she got her monk level(s).

:miko: "So Master Hama, do I get my red dragon belt of death?" Master Hama: "No, you get pink apron of shame. Now, go clean toilets."

Kyace
2007-03-04, 03:23 AM
Smiting in the same manner as she smites Xykon, only more so.

I think what she needs to straighten her out is the sensei she studied under when she got her monk level(s).

:miko: "So Master Hama, do I get my red dragon belt of death?" Master Hama: "No, you get pink apron of shame. Now, go clean toilets."

:miko: "What, just random toilets?"

MReav
2007-03-04, 01:43 PM
I think Miko's only chance for happiness is getting permanently polymorphed into a horse and settling down on the celestial realms.

Tilian
2007-03-04, 01:52 PM
You know, if she were to become an outsider...

If she could just embrace a bit of chaos, she would love being an Asura. Their method of operations is so her.

Copacetic
2007-03-04, 02:53 PM
Killing every one who is not LG

Erek Garnsfel
2007-03-05, 08:20 PM
nothing. Absolutley nothing

Ender Wigin
2010-10-18, 07:06 PM
Shes dead. Shes in the Celestreail Realms and is content with being in that afterlife.

...I miss her so much...:smallfrown:

kpenguin
2010-10-18, 11:59 PM
The Modguin: Looks like threadomancy to me. Thread locked.